Does the author, being born in the bible-belt, wants to target only Christianity or all the religions alike?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Re: Does the author, being born in the bible-belt, wants to target only Christianity or all the religions alike?

Post by zainherb »

CConfounded wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 16:25 I feel like the author was generalizing. Christianity in and of itself is a broad religion with numerous subsections.

To me, the author was confusing traits that are common themes across humanity with the religions in and of themselves. I feel like most of humanity is wired toward religion, otherwise there would have been a purely atheist society long before this century. Thus, to a lot of people, it's easy to pinpoint the bad aspects of society on religion, when, in reality, its humanity itself which is geared toward destruction.

So very true. Thank you!
I too feel like that us what the author is doing. She is taking her bad experiences I'm the catholic church where she worshipped for much of her youth, and using that at a yardstick to judge and condemn rganised religion. Finding a way to prove the existence of God using science.

Humans are flawed, she needs to reme!her that . humans are flawed and the religion may not be flawed. Not saying that is what it is, but I think it is important to remember that.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I think the author’s main focus is on Christianity. Although, he included common practices that could be applied to other religions.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

At first glance, one can assume Hunt waa siing his experience to define everu other religion. However, from all angles, the author was discussing and dwelling on the Christian faith especially the Catholics. If there was any other religion which he pointed at, it would be Judaism as he mentioned the Jews.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think almost all religions (I'm by no means an expert, BTW) share certain characteristics, faith, a sense of community, a notion of at least one God, etc. Given that, an attack on one religion can be viewed or construed as an attack on all religions. I think he made it clear that he was upset with Catholicism mostly and presents seemingly practical arguments against some tenets of Christianity. The work seems a mix of frustration and inspiration, which is not necessarily to say that his frustration with the church inspired his book. If his viewpoints happen to be in discord also with other religions, I'm not certain that he was aware they were, or perhaps he didn't think of it, or perhaps he didn't want to upset. It's maybe like the hand/chopstick/fork argument - who is actually right and what are the pros and cons to each. It seems a really simple argument, but it can likely be a very complicated argument when numerous variables are taken into account.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
MarvMike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by MarvMike »

The author's doubt in his belief started from an early age and therefore targeted his religion. It can happen to anyone in any religion and does not apply to Christianity alone. As a user stated, "We must remember that this is his opinion".
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I think the author was trying to question his Christian beliefs. I don't think he was targeting it in any way. Maybe it seemed that way because it's the religion he was raised in? But I believe that the interpretation greatly depends on one person's opinion- and there is no right or wrong one.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 11:02 While this is in the context of Christianity, specifically Catholicism, I think that it can be put into other religious contexts. Many religious leaders, no matter what their religion, manipulate holy scriptures for their own gain, which is what the author is trying to question. The author is merely questioning his own religion, but it can apply to all!!!
Completely agree.
I also think that the author should note that some of the reasons for this manipulation are financial gain. The author concentrated more on noting that the manipulation was due to a misunderstanding of scripture but I've seen it done deliberately for financial gain.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Given his reasons I think it applies to all religions. Following his premise I'd think that the concept if a "religion" is inherently flawed.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

Apparently the author's main target is Christianity, since that is what he had learnt and worshipped since his birth, as well as the major source for his questions. Yet, the corrupted manipulations can be found in any religion, so more or less this book can be applied to any religion
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”