Do you agree with the author's opinions on sin?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Re: Do you agree with the author's opinions on sin?

Post by 63tty »

I think we were meant to sin from the very beginning. I believe it is divine law because that is what led to our existence in the first place, talk about Cain killing his brother Abel, It all starts with the original sin of Eve. We were "cursed" (for lack of a better word) to be predisposed to sin after that. That is the whole essence of faith, '"MAN IS TO ERROR". Even the bible says Jesus loved sinners more than he loved righteous people because the Joy of a sinner repenting is what makes him rejoice as opposed to a righteous man losing his way. Nobody in this world has not "sinned".

So yeah, I agree with the author partially because it all depends on how you view things. And as much as we want to say there are lesser sins or rule out something as not a sin, Sin is Sin. And the beauty of it is, Everything is forgivable according to the bible. You just have to confess and want the forgiveness.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

I agree with the author, i mean some sins are not possible to control,we find ourselves in . how we are determine to follow the rules is totally up to us
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

This question (and many others) comes down to: Is there a God?

If there is a God, then he defines what is sin and not sin. There are things that are sinful, and there are things that are good. God tells us these things, and we are to act accordingly. The line between right and wrong is not man-made.

If there is no God, then there can be no basis for morals at all. There is no right and wrong, and by extension, no sin. Therefore, any line that is drawn, is drawn by humans - sin is man-made.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Sarah_sapphire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sarah_sapphire »

I partially agree with the author. I agree with the fact that sins are manmade. They are things we do consciously. I do not agree with the author's proposition that the only sin in the world is selfishness. Selfishness might be the root of all sins but there are other sins and we cannot overruled that.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Yes!!!! I do agree for sure!! I think that people’s sin mostly stems from selfishness and not caring about what the right thing to do is.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think I also agree with you and with the author in the sense that sins are man-made. We have decided to tell which things are good and which are not, but as you mentioned, we have a superiority complex. I think this also points to a very anthropocentric view of the world. Maybe I would differ with the author's point of view of selfishness being the only sin, but I do understand where her conclusion comes from. Although I would expand that to other things. Finally, I am not sure if I would call it sin, or rather malice.
nefrabeckles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nefrabeckles »

yes I agree with the author and they way to portrayed it and made sin to be disobedience to the law and that sin is man-made and we can not control ourselves.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

Sin is not man-made. If it were so, then it would have been possible also to have control over its consequences. There is a divine law, which, when violated, the divinity determines the fate of the offender.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Reviewer100 wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 10:15 Sin is not man-made. If it were so, then it would have been possible also to have control over its consequences. There is a divine law, which, when violated, the divinity determines the fate of the offender.
But what about sins such as sex before marriage? The Bible says nothing specifically about sex before marriage but rather the issue of immoral sex, such as adultery, which is not the same thing. The Church has interpreted that sex before marriage is a sin to try and use it to control the population. So surely that is man made sin, as it is not a written divine law?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Eunice Geres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

The discussion here is very interesting. I actually don't know where to stand because I initially fully agree with the author. However, reading these comments, I understood what the side of the people that disagreed
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I do agree that many of these sins are manmade. I think any sin that is not committed at the expense of your neighbors, is no sin at all.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I agree with the author's opinion. How, we, humans are different from other animals. The ability to think doesn't make us different to them. So the same rules that are applicable for them are applicable for us as well. We have defined few things as unsuitable and named them as sins. So, merely sins are a set of agreements made my humans to have a better life than animals
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 12:29 The author seems to believe that many of the sins in the world are man made, rather than divine law. For example, sex before marriage, or polyamourous relationships, are wrong in the eyes of the Church, however, the author believes that these sort of things are not wrong, as sex, food, shelter, love etc. are all the bare essentials that humans need to survive, just like any animal, it is up to us to do with these things as we will, they are not possible to control. We are not superior, we just have a superiority complex leading us to believe that we are better than all others. Therefore, the author comes to the conclusion that the only sin in the world is selfishness, especially in the way that the Church preaches equality bus has enough money to end world hunger, yet keeps that money for less important things, like more buildings. So I guess what I am trying to say, is I agree with the author that sins are man made and are used to control the population. What do you guys think??
I don't think I agree with the author in the way he puts them. Sex, food, shelter, love, etc., are, of course, not sins. I'm a Christian so I'm speaking from a Christian perspective. And in the Christian worldview and scripture, sex for example, isn't regarded as sin in and of itself; it's the way we choose to use it that can consitute sin. Also, God knows that by ourselves we can't control our bodies—at least not all the time. That's why we need his help, his grace, and the Holy Spirit to overcome sexual temptation. So no, I don't believe all sins are man-made (of course there are some that are, like taking alcholol), but sex was designed by God for marriage and it has scriptural backing and inferences.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 12:29 The author seems to believe that many of the sins in the world are man made, rather than divine law. For example, sex before marriage, or polyamourous relationships, are wrong in the eyes of the Church, however, the author believes that these sort of things are not wrong, as sex, food, shelter, love etc. are all the bare essentials that humans need to survive, just like any animal, it is up to us to do with these things as we will, they are not possible to control. We are not superior, we just have a superiority complex leading us to believe that we are better than all others. Therefore, the author comes to the conclusion that the only sin in the world is selfishness, especially in the way that the Church preaches equality bus has enough money to end world hunger, yet keeps that money for less important things, like more buildings. So I guess what I am trying to say, is I agree with the author that sins are man made and are used to control the population. What do you guys think??
While I don't agree with the author in man-made sins, I do agree on the part about the Church having enough money to make a real difference. Now, this isn't to say there aren't thousands of Churches spending all they've got to better people's lives—Christian or not—but the overall sense still feels like they're too many Churches spending their budget inwards rather than outwards, which actually feels like it's against what scripture teaches. Sometimes, it makes me miss the early Church in the Bible says, when Church structure was a lot simpler and didn't require a huge budget to maintain. Of course this is 2021, and I know things can't look exactly as they did back then, but the Church needs to find a way to run a simpler model so they can focus more money on things that matter eternally and societally. So yeah, on that aspect, I'm with the author.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Unique Ego wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 03:50
I don't think I agree with the author in the way he puts them. Sex, food, shelter, love, etc., are, of course, not sins. I'm a Christian so I'm speaking from a Christian perspective. And in the Christian worldview and scripture, sex for example, isn't regarded as sin in and of itself; it's the way we choose to use it that can consitute sin. Also, God knows that by ourselves we can't control our bodies—at least not all the time. That's why we need his help, his grace, and the Holy Spirit to overcome sexual temptation. So no, I don't believe all sins are man-made (of course there are some that are, like taking alcholol), but sex was designed by God for marriage and it has scriptural backing and inferences.
I see your point and I respect that! May I ask what you think about sex before marriage? Because I am a Christian but don't know everything in the Bible to know if there are specific scriptures against it, or if it has been interpreted to be bad because it says that sex is designed for marriage, if that makes sense? As someone who is not married and has had sex with her girlfriend, I don't think I have committed a sin! I know that I am going to be with her for the rest of my life and because of that, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to have fun! Part of me thinks the no sex before marriage is more of a way to prevent illegitimate children so that any wealth is kept within families rather than spread amongst those born out of wedlock, which is a way to control women (not me speaking there, that is a sociological study!)
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”