Is the author really being sacrilegious (as he states) or just offering a differing opinion?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Is the author really being sacrilegious (as he states) or just offering a differing opinion?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I know that by definition, sacrilege is disrespecting something religious or sacred, however, I don't think that the author is being sacrilegious. The author is simply offering a different opinion to the Church's teachings. I know that sounds like blasphemy or sacrilege, however I don't think they are challenging the Church's teachings, but rather having a different interpretation of the Bible's teachings, which are there to help oneself and therefore will be interpreted differently by everyone who reads it, even those in authority in the Church, as no one is perfect and we are all subject to personal bias when it comes to beliefs no matter what or who you are. What do y'all think?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I don't think he was being sacrilegious at all. Unless you want to consider that the many different translations of the Bible have been so. To me, this is another translation of the Bible.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Apparently the author does not mean to disprove or harm the biblical teachings. She has attempted to go beyond what is just stated their and has tried to give a proper interpretation. So this book cannot be taken as a sacrilegious document
Kirsi Cultrera
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I don't think the author is sacrilegious. Maybe bold enough to challenge and test the common beliefs, but I strongly believe that God doesn't have a problem with that and we shouldn't either. We can never experience deeper understading if we don't allow ourselves to think outside of the box. Whether the result of this type of thinking is correct or not, is another question.
Kirsi
Maddie Atkinson

Kirsi_78 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 05:43 I don't think the author is sacrilegious. Maybe bold enough to challenge and test the common beliefs, but I strongly believe that God doesn't have a problem with that and we shouldn't either. We can never experience deeper understading if we don't allow ourselves to think outside of the box. Whether the result of this type of thinking is correct or not, is another question.
I agree with you! Who is to say what is the correct way to read something, unless you're purposefully manipulating something for your own gain, then allowing yourself to read something differently and gain a new perspective is perfectly okay!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Maddie Atkinson

Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 18:42 I don't think he was being sacrilegious at all. Unless you want to consider that the many different translations of the Bible have been so. To me, this is another translation of the Bible.
I completely agree!! It is just another perspective, it's not wrong in any way. Personally I think those who say that it is sacrilegious to have your own opinion in religion, are those who are too scared of change and losing power and money that they have over the many many people that realise that there is more to life than just the Church's own monopoly of the truth!
Kaye_Bo2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaye-bo2020.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Kaye_Bo2020 »

I do not believe he is being sacrilegious, but I do believe it will often be viewed as this, as many people can not open their minds to things that challenge their views. I concur your theory that if someone to consider this to be sacrilegious then they should believe all other versions of the bibles to be also, but how do you determine which to be considered the one true bible then? Interesting concept.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I don't think that the author was sacrilegious either. He didn't disrespect the Church's teachings, he just offered another approach, his own point of view, which happened to be quite vastly different from them.
Maddie Atkinson

Dominik_G wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 06:00 I don't think that the author was sacrilegious either. He didn't disrespect the Church's teachings, he just offered another approach, his own point of view, which happened to be quite vastly different from them.
I agree, I think he is more questioning the teachings the leaders if the Church give, especially when it comes to the manipulations of the Bible, I think he is just offering another perspective of the scriptures that the Church usually tries to supress because it doesn't fit their own agenda.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 10:56 I know that by definition, sacrilege is disrespecting something religious or sacred, however, I don't think that the author is being sacrilegious. The author is simply offering a different opinion to the Church's teachings. I know that sounds like blasphemy or sacrilege, however I don't think they are challenging the Church's teachings, but rather having a different interpretation of the Bible's teachings, which are there to help oneself and therefore will be interpreted differently by everyone who reads it, even those in authority in the Church, as no one is perfect and we are all subject to personal bias when it comes to beliefs no matter what or who you are. What do y'all think?
I think the author is just offering a different opinion. God gives every person something different when they are genuinely seeking answers from Him as they read and study His word. By that I mean He gives it to you in a way YOU can understand, so I believe the author is expressing what they feel was God's answer to them.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

It is very healthy to question or challenge a belief. The point of the book was to open your mind and use logic and reasoning to draw conclusions, even if they go against widely held beliefs of organized religion. It is always a good thing to question and challenge. Dr. Hunt seems very respectful.
Ari Martinez
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 05:43 I don't think the author is sacrilegious. Maybe bold enough to challenge and test the common beliefs, but I strongly believe that God doesn't have a problem with that and we shouldn't either. We can never experience deeper understading if we don't allow ourselves to think outside of the box. Whether the result of this type of thinking is correct or not, is another question.
I agree. There is a Bible verse that goes "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it" (Jeremiah 6:16). The Bible itself is telling us that it's ok to ask questions, analyze, and follow the "good way" once we have figured it out based on our analysis of the answers we've received. So, if the author had questions and wanted to analyze and test the beliefs he grew up with, then he was doing the right thing according to the Bible - he was seeing two "crossroads" (science vs. religion) and began to "look."
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Sushan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:27 Apparently the author does not mean to disprove or harm the biblical teachings. She has attempted to go beyond what is just stated their and has tried to give a proper interpretation. So this book cannot be taken as a sacrilegious document
I don't think that it's precisely "a" proper interpretation that the author is giving. It's "her" interpretation. Saying that it's "a proper interpretation" makes it sound more factual than it actually is, given that it is, after all, only one person's opinion. There are dozens of "interpretations" of the Bible that various people have given, all different from each other in some way. None is more "appropriate" than the other. Even those given by religious scholars are merely the opinions of each individual author.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

In discussing Holy Communion, the author said that some people "might think" he was being sacrilegious, but he did not agree. He simply disagreed with the church's teachings that the wafer and wine magically became the actual body and blood of Christ. The author quotes Jesus as saying "do this in remembrance of me," a completely different idea. I think this is a significant disagreement that would probably cause any Christian to say that the author is sacrilegious. Christian churches (Catholic or other) teach that Jesus was divine, a part of god. He is one third of the holy trinity -- father, son, and holy ghost. The author believes in god, in his own way, but does not believe in the divinity of Jesus.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I don’t think the author is sacrilegious . Over time there has been many interpretations of the Bible and it can be looked as a guide to morality and can be very subjective. I think possibly, very fundamentalist religious people may find it sacrilegious but this would be a some what an old fashioned reaction.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”