Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Daisy Deeh wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 13:06 I think the book is suitable for anyone,its written based on catholic teachings. Read it with your faith high as i do not agree with some few things
That is my point. Even you had to keep your faith while reading this book since it might be challenging to what you already believe. So, unless you have an open mind, for Christian devouts, it is better to avoid this book
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 06:28
Luluwa79 wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 03:26 I think it will be suitable for everyone since the approach was science (quantum physics) and philosophical studies.
It is true that the approach is science and philosophy, but the author's aim is to show the presence of a supreme being, which is not equally accepted in all the religions. In that case will the book will be accepted by all
Although I havent read the book but the claims of presence of a Supreme being, being acceptable, is subjective. Because some people who do not believe in God or a Supreme being might still like the book and some may not. So it depends on the person reading the book.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Fahad Baibras wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 04:34
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 06:28
Luluwa79 wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 03:26 I think it will be suitable for everyone since the approach was science (quantum physics) and philosophical studies.
It is true that the approach is science and philosophy, but the author's aim is to show the presence of a supreme being, which is not equally accepted in all the religions. In that case will the book will be accepted by all
Although I havent read the book but the claims of presence of a Supreme being, being acceptable, is subjective. Because some people who do not believe in God or a Supreme being might still like the book and some may not. So it depends on the person reading the book.
That is correct. The ultimate decision will depend on the reader. Yet, I have issues with this book being suitable for all, when considering the author's preoccupied ideas and his biased thoughts
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

It is definitely not suited for just anyone because people of other religions won't get what the author is trying to prove or disprove. If one lacks the basics of the religion being talked about, how could you read it. Say, for example, I read a book about an author using his scientific findings to analyze a, for instance, Quran, yet I'm Christian. I don't think I'd understand.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think it would be suited for anyone who is willing to learn, listen, and discuss. The problem is when someone is closed to others' opinions. So, maybe it is not suited to constest a very stron Christian believer, unless this particular person wants to listen to some umcomfortable things and/or to learn more. I think, however, it is aimed for Christian believers in particular. As I said, they just need to keep an open mind. Things are not black or white, and we do not always like everything, but we cannot disappear the things we don't like just by ignoring them.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I guess if it is not giving opinions only from a Christian perspective, but more general and discusses science, then it is perhaps suitable for all religions. Perhaps even non religious people would be interested in the arguments
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I don't think it is suitable for people who have contradicting beliefs. Religion is a very strong issue. It can be a turn off sometimes when people don't agree to what the author has to say.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:06 I think the scientific and philosophical approaches used in this book render it a suitable read for the various faiths.
As long as all the elements are tackled neutrally and respectfully, I see no reason why the author cannot touch upon such an interesting subject matter. I myself found it to be an intriguing read.
I definitely agree. I loved this book because it doesn't necessarily targeted a single religion. The author made use of philosophical and scientific approach to backed the arguments.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

Even though the author is Catholic, I do think this book is suitable for every religion. The writer’s opinion doesn't come from his Catholic roots but philosophy and science.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

It is mainly about Catholicism and the bible. So it will be suitable for the Catholics mostly. Yet, even non Catholics can read this and gain knowledge as it discusses about science as well
Owen John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owen-john.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Owen John »

Well... I don't think religious beliefs affect in any way the way a person perceives a book or which genres they choose.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I have come to believe that not everyone wants to see another side of thier religious beliefs. Yes. So as much as this books tries to do that, I'm sure not everyone is comfortable with it.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 18:02 I think it suits everyone, because if you're Catholic/Christian, it allows you to see a different point of view to your religion, and if you're not, it allows you to see the different sides and opinions in this religion from and outside perspective. I think when it comes to God in general, the ideas can be applied to all religion, it's just in this context it is being applied to Catholicism. So yeah, I think it is suitable for anyone, it's a very interesting read!
What you are mentioning is very interesting and I totally agree with you. There are many things that people can learn about religion even if they are not believers or if they identified themselves with a particular religious practice. So keeping an open mind can be very nurturing for people as long as nobody is trying to be offensive.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Considering the context of the book, I think this book is suitable to any reader from any religious belief. Becuase, this book is written in terms of philosophy and science.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I think this depends entirely on the readers. Some people would be particularly averse to any analysis of their religion in any context whatsoever.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”