Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Shahina C A wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 22:47 I think it's suitable for everyone since it contains some science and philosophy also. But I would like to recommend this for open-minded people more.
Science and philosophy are universal subjects, yet are not equally welcome by all readers. So, because a book contains science and philosophy doesn't make it suitable for everyone. But I do agree with you, that an open minded reader won't be offended by the content of this book
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Pearl Hijabi wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 03:19 I think the book would not be suitable for all religious people. Because the concept of diety is different and not the same concept on all religions. While some agree with the author some may not.
Totally agree. There are religions that reject the presence of any supreme being and accept natural and practical concepts regarding the world. So the devouts of such a religion will feel offended by the author's attempts on proving the presence of a God
Sushan Ekanayake

Ldpuff wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 08:49 I do not believe the book is targeted for anyone specific. I think anyone who is like minded could relate to the book or anyone who feels differently could read it and challenge the author's opinions or strengthen his or her own beliefs through negating differing opinions.
The author has not given hard and fast conclusions regarding his opinions, but have stated what he found and allowed the reader to go for his/her own conclusions. With that approach, an open minded reader can read it and decide whether to accept the points or not. But for a narrow minded, preoccupied reader who doesn't agree with the author, this book won't be much appealing
Sushan Ekanayake

CConfounded wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 15:58 I think any book is suitable to anyone of any belief system. It simply requires those reading more religious (or less religious, in the case of atheism) to have an open mind. There may be some concepts that are difficult to understand, but that could be the case with any book addressing something completely knew to the reader.
Any book can contain new stuff. But as far as they are clearly explained the reader won't be dumbfounded. Yet when it comes to religion related books, the matter is with the beliefs of the reader. An open minded one will just read the book, but a devout of some religion with different belief system won't be happy about the content of the book
Sushan Ekanayake

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 10:17 I feel it has a target audience of chrisyians but the author added several aspects of other relgions as weel. So yes i would recommend it.
Definitely its target audience is Christians and the devouts of related religions. It is true that the author has included some facts regarding few other religions. But that won't make this a book for all. On the other hand, atheists won't accept a book which tries to prove that God is true
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Sushan wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 23:40
Ldpuff wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 08:49 I do not believe the book is targeted for anyone specific. I think anyone who is like minded could relate to the book or anyone who feels differently could read it and challenge the author's opinions or strengthen his or her own beliefs through negating differing opinions.
The author has not given hard and fast conclusions regarding his opinions, but have stated what he found and allowed the reader to go for his/her own conclusions. With that approach, an open minded reader can read it and decide whether to accept the points or not. But for a narrow minded, preoccupied reader who doesn't agree with the author, this book won't be much appealing
I agree. It is not about being suited for religious beliefs, it is about being suited for the open minded reader.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Ldpuff wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 07:15
Sushan wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 23:40
I agree. It is not about being suited for religious beliefs, it is about being suited for the open minded reader.
You understand me. For someone who is bigoted this book would be a turn off or a source of anger.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

Sushan wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 23:48 Definitely its target audience is Christians and the devouts of related religions. It is true that the author has included some facts regarding few other religions. But that won't make this a book for all. On the other hand, atheists won't accept a book which tries to prove that God is true
True, as an atheist I'd feel uncomfortable reading something attempting to force science and religion together in such a way to stoke a religious person's confirmation biases. If a god is out there I'd rather it be discovered by independent studies that aren't trying to feed their personal beliefs, and I'd be perfectly happy to read their findings so long as they present just the new information without any assumptions into its nature.
Sushan Ekanayake

SaraHysaro wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 18:12
Sushan wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 23:48 Definitely its target audience is Christians and the devouts of related religions. It is true that the author has included some facts regarding few other religions. But that won't make this a book for all. On the other hand, atheists won't accept a book which tries to prove that God is true
True, as an atheist I'd feel uncomfortable reading something attempting to force science and religion together in such a way to stoke a religious person's confirmation biases. If a god is out there I'd rather it be discovered by independent studies that aren't trying to feed their personal beliefs, and I'd be perfectly happy to read their findings so long as they present just the new information without any assumptions into its nature.
That is a fair argument. It is not very pleasant to the one's with an opposite mindset, when someone preoccupied with a different set of ideas is trying to prove that someone's point, which has happened in this book. So this book won't be equally suitable for all, but will be more appealing to those who believe in or want to believe in an almighty God
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book would be appropriate for all backgrounds and religions as it is more of a study and forces the reader to ask critical questions. I think it's important to be able to open your mind to the possibility of all religions. In my opinion, it creates a more worldly and well-rounded person.
Sushan Ekanayake

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 17:07 This book would be appropriate for all backgrounds and religions as it is more of a study and forces the reader to ask critical questions. I think it's important to be able to open your mind to the possibility of all religions. In my opinion, it creates a more worldly and well-rounded person.
Definitely one should have an open mind when trying to read this book since the questions that it raises, as you said, are 'critical'. A religious person might feel offended and also even a science loving one will feel uncomfortable about the author's view on God
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I think this book is suitable for everyone but as long as they have an open mind and an eagerness to consider things from another perspective.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

I think the book is suitable for anyone,its written based on catholic teachings. Read it with your faith high as i do not agree with some few things
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

Twylla wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:50 I think this book has a target audience of Christians with belief systems based on the Bible. I don't think it would appeal to students of Eastern religions, for example. The specific concepts of deity would probably not transfer.
I agree, and would only add that fundamentalist Christians would absolutely burn Hunt at the stake, so to speak.
Sushan Ekanayake

Victoria Copsey wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 12:34 I think this book is suitable for everyone but as long as they have an open mind and an eagerness to consider things from another perspective.
Definitely. If you have an open mind and a need to see things differently, reading this book won't do any harm. But for the ones who have a strong opinion towards either religion or science, this book might feel a sort of offensive to their beliefs

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”