Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
dK3 + CCt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dk3-cct.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Re: Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Post by dK3 + CCt »

The book can fit to anyone of any religion. Though the author is a Catholic, he had not not limited himself to Christian faith. He had expressed his understanding of Deity from a Hinduism and Buddhism perspective. The he will compare his three religion with science which is making sense even to an atheist.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Mstrtim wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 14:34 Being raised Catholic, although with that boat sailing long ago, I find that this book will be less suitable for many Catholics than for those of other beliefs. I know quite a few die-hard Roman Catholics who would toss this book into the fire pit as a work of blasphemy. Although I also know quite a few enlightened Catholics who would welcome many of the author's claims, for instance, the insanity by the organized Church of condemning birth control as a sin. But among the true traditional believers, there are those who would never dispute Mary's virginity, the authenticity of the visit of the Magi, and other perpetuated myths. Therefore, I would expect the greatest pushback to be from those sharing the author's faith, and not those from without.
A good point. Those who want to criticize the myths found in Catholic history will be attracted to this book but the traditional believers will be averted from it since this book questions what they believed for years. So this book won't be suitable for everyone
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Mstrtim wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 14:34 Being raised Catholic, although with that boat sailing long ago, I find that this book will be less suitable for many Catholics than for those of other beliefs. I know quite a few die-hard Roman Catholics who would toss this book into the fire pit as a work of blasphemy. Although I also know quite a few enlightened Catholics who would welcome many of the author's claims, for instance, the insanity by the organized Church of condemning birth control as a sin. But among the true traditional believers, there are those who would never dispute Mary's virginity, the authenticity of the visit of the Magi, and other perpetuated myths. Therefore, I would expect the greatest pushback to be from those sharing the author's faith, and not those from without.
I agree that there are many who might claim the book as blasphemous, but the author does state that he hasn't committed blasphemy. Also, while a lot of people might not accept the book, it does not mean it isn't suitable for them, a lot of them might find it enlightens them, it is hard to push back against modern arguments by using outdated ones, know matter how hard they try! There would definitely be a pushback from some people, namely the Catholics as you say, but it is definitely suitable for everyone from all walks of faith as it might allow them to find their own truth, or just be there for when they may or may not become ready to open their eyes to a new age of religion! So I think it is suitable for everyone, what do you think? :)
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 19:33
I agree that there are many who might claim the book as blasphemous, but the author does state that he hasn't committed blasphemy. Also, while a lot of people might not accept the book, it does not mean it isn't suitable for them, a lot of them might find it enlightens them, it is hard to push back against modern arguments by using outdated ones, know matter how hard they try! There would definitely be a pushback from some people, namely the Catholics as you say, but it is definitely suitable for everyone from all walks of faith as it might allow them to find their own truth, or just be there for when they may or may not become ready to open their eyes to a new age of religion! So I think it is suitable for everyone, what do you think? :)
That is quite true. When the biblical writings are considered, they have been written thousands of years ago and the writing style and the riddles used are suitable to that ancient era. But those things will be seem outdated in this modern world. So it is not blasphemy when someone tries to update a religion. That won't harm it but will help to prevail
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:52 Though the author is a Catholic, she has studied about Hinduism and Buddhism as well. And this book does not directly talks about Catholic teachings, but the true meaning of the universe and a supreme being via quantum physics and philosophical studies.

Considering that context, is this book suitable for anyone? Or would this be targeted to a particular audience with particular religious beliefs?
I think it shoukd be suited for anyone regardless of religious beliefs.
It takes a scientific approach to finding the meaning of the universe.
Plus, it is a book after all, we can all learn from books regardless of what the book is about.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Considering that context only, then yes, I think the book is suitable for all those of particular interest you mentioned (Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, seekers of the Universe's truth, and lovers of quantum physics and philosophy) assuming an open approach. I am an Orthodox, but also someone interested in topics like this and who chose to read this book with which I resonated. If "anyone" means any human being that exists by the grace of God (the essence of which the author speaks in her book), then I suppose so, anyone can be compatible with this reading.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Sushan Ekanayake

zainherb wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 17:39
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:52 Though the author is a Catholic, she has studied about Hinduism and Buddhism as well. And this book does not directly talks about Catholic teachings, but the true meaning of the universe and a supreme being via quantum physics and philosophical studies.

Considering that context, is this book suitable for anyone? Or would this be targeted to a particular audience with particular religious beliefs?
Plus, it is a book after all, we can all learn from books regardless of what the book is about.
A book is a good source for learning, yet it can even cause a war. Not all the books are appealing to everyone, and when it comes to this sort of religion related books, that appealing becomes of much more importance. So I don't think that this book will be equally accepted by all the readers who belong to any religion
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Sushan wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 05:34
zainherb wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 17:39

A book is a good source for learning, yet it can even cause a war. Not all the books are appealing to everyone, and when it comes to this sort of religion related books, that appealing becomes of much more importance. So I don't think that this book will be equally accepted by all the readers who belong to any religion
It doesn't have to be accepted, but it doesn't mean it isn't suitable! Everyone can learn from the book, and if you choose not to read it based on your beliefs, that is your personal choice, but it doesn't mean it isn't suitable for you. Just because a book like The Famous Five is suitable for all children, it doesn't mean all children will want to read it, the same applies to this book and people from all walks of faith and background!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

Anyone can read this book because all have a choice on what to believe, this book only educates on more about religion and scientific believes.
Sushan Ekanayake

Wekesa Namuyonga wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:59 Anyone can read this book because all have a choice on what to believe, this book only educates on more about religion and scientific believes.
Anyone cn read any book, no argument about that. But the issue is whether it is suitable for everyone. This book addresses the corrupted nature of the church, which might offend a true devout. On the other hand it tries to prove the God's existence, which might not be very appealing to atheist. So I don't think that this one will be suitable for all
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

I think it's suitable for everyone since it contains some science and philosophy also. But I would like to recommend this for open-minded people more.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I think the book would not be suitable for all religious people. Because the concept of diety is different and not the same concept on all religions. While some agree with the author some may not.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I do not believe the book is targeted for anyone specific. I think anyone who is like minded could relate to the book or anyone who feels differently could read it and challenge the author's opinions or strengthen his or her own beliefs through negating differing opinions.
CConfounded
Currently Reading: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cconfounded.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by CConfounded »

I think any book is suitable to anyone of any belief system. It simply requires those reading more religious (or less religious, in the case of atheism) to have an open mind. There may be some concepts that are difficult to understand, but that could be the case with any book addressing something completely knew to the reader.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel it has a target audience of chrisyians but the author added several aspects of other relgions as weel. So yes i would recommend it.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”