Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Post by dianaterrado »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:52 Though the author is a Catholic, she has studied about Hinduism and Buddhism as well. And this book does not directly talks about Catholic teachings, but the true meaning of the universe and a supreme being via quantum physics and philosophical studies.

Considering that context, is this book suitable for anyone? Or would this be targeted to a particular audience with particular religious beliefs?
This is perfect for readers going into the book with an open mind. Religion is a sensitive theme to talk about. Starting this book without an open mind might offend some readers and might seem disagreeable to some. The author presents different ideas, and readers must have an open mind to make this an informational read.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
MarvMike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by MarvMike »

Sushan wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:03
Sou Hi wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:41 I don't think it's inappropriate for the author to study other religions. One is free to choose what they want to believe in, so even if he placed his trust in some deities other than God, it would be his freedom. Besides, I'm not pointing fingers, but there's no guarantee that one religion is perfect, so it's alright if one wants to learn about the other religions' teaching.

In terms of philosophy, I think this book can be read by everyone who has an interest. Quantum physics may be hard, so laymen may not be able to fully comprehend. And one who isn't a Catholic may not understand his points about the Bible. So, in these aspects, I deem the book unsuitable for everyone.
That is a quite insightful thought. Yes, philosophy and physics can be digestible for many, yet not for all. And the biblical teachings won't be known by all the non-Catholics. So there are limitations for the audience to which this book can be given to
Agreed. It makes the Catholics see their belief in a whole new light, then what happens to the non-Catholics. "So there are limitations for the audience to which this book can be given to".
Cassie_Megan
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-megan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Cassie_Megan »

I do not think the author talked about God as the Christian God per se, but more as a supreme and powerful being. That cannot hurt and is perfect (as she states in the book). She also has a pretty scientific approach so in that sense, yes it is suitable for everyone and not only Christians
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Albaou Amira »

This book is equally suited for all religions and non-religion. It brings out the idea of a Supreme being which I think is the basis of all religions out there and atheists can also benefit from how physics and psychology plays into all of this.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I am not overly religious but I have no issue reading books that focus on different religions. I feel there is something to learn from every story no matter what your personal beliefs.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I find the book unfit for true Christians because it is misleading and rejects the foundation of Christianity. However, the book is suitable for other religions and atheist as well.
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

Yes, it's suitable for anyone from any religion. Though the book is written by a Christian writer but the content is mainly related with science and philosophy, and remains respectful towards other religious ideologies too.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:52 Though the author is a Catholic, she has studied about Hinduism and Buddhism as well. And this book does not directly talks about Catholic teachings, but the true meaning of the universe and a supreme being via quantum physics and philosophical studies.

Considering that context, is this book suitable for anyone? Or would this be targeted to a particular audience with particular religious beliefs?
Her research lends credibility to her point of view. If someone is asking the questions, they should read widely on the subject and this book would be suitable.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

When I first picked up the book I thought it would be suitable for everyone, but after reading it I don't think it is. The claims made by the author depend completely on faith and were not explained by the science he attempted to incorporate. Great philosophical arguments do not depend on whether the reader believes in God or not. Good philosophical arguments are convincing even to the most strict atheist. Wilderness Cry felt like more of a personal interpretation of the bible or the bible itself just rewritten in a more modern viewpoint, but it was still as unconvincing and ridiculous as the bible.
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

Even though the author takes a more science-backed approach, I don't think they completely escaped their Catholic perspective. Suitability is really up to the reader and expectations. If a reader goes in expecting a completely unbiased, non-religious argument, they'll be disappointed. A reader needs to be open to critical thought and dialogue related to religion, and that is not the case for everyone.
lalva221
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalva221.html
Latest Review: The Defeat of COVID by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by lalva221 »

Because the author has been exposed to many religions and non-religious beliefs, I believe that his book is suitable for everyone. I find that when people are devout Catholics or strong in their faith in any other religion, they seem closed minded to other perspectives. I think if you are a true believer of God, you should read about him through other perspectives. This should only strengthen your faith. If your faith is not strengthened, you believe in your religion and its people, not God.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Yes!!! I absolutely think the content in this book is appropriate for anyone. There are a lot of things that people don’t agree with but if that’s the case, then be careful of what you read
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

As long as one remembers to look at multiple sides of an argument. As long as the person is open-minded and willing to learn more, even simply listen. For the most part, I believe that the individual character, thus the individual thought process of a single person, influences whether or not this book is suitable for them.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Yes, it is fairly suitable for persons of all religions, unless one is discriminatory of other religions. I would like to think irrespective of our religions, everyone has a thing or more they disagree with in regard to one's religion.
shirakersz
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shirakersz »

It really depends. As a Jew, this was a pretty amusing read. I think it's even better to read if you're not Christian/Catholic. My friend read this book, (as a Christian) and felt total contempt from the author. So if you're interested in reading about religions, go for it!

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”