Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
shirakersz
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Post by shirakersz »

In light of the author's lack of belief in much besides his own opinion, this book would be appropriate for anyone desiring to read opinion with some science mixed in. However, the author makes many of his arguments against Catholic practices. To understand what he is protesting, the reader must either have knowledge of the Bible & the Catholic church or simply accept what he claims as the foundation of his argument to be true. I have little knowledge of the Catholic church, but enough knowledge of the Bible to understand that his evidence and line of reasoning isn't strong enough to disprove centuries of research in 120 pages.

I completely disagree. I know nothing about the Catholic religion and I understood most of the meanings pretty well. You might have to look some up if you're that invested. Overall, you can understand the whole thing pretty well.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I want to believe that this book is targeted more towards a Christian audience since it discusses mostly Christian ideas and principles.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I think as long as the reader has an open-mind then this book would be suitable for anyone.
Bookreviewer71
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer71.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Bookreviewer71 »

Yes, it is suitable for anyone with any religious belief and even for those without any. The author never claimed his ideas to apply to only those who follow Christianity. Since he has much deeper knowledge and understanding of Christianity, he based his thesis on it. He is not trying to pit one religion against another but instead wants to find common ground to co-exist. The only thing he insists on is to follow the path of love and mutual respect towards fellow individuals.
odlanra
Favorite Book: Carbynarah Chronicles
Currently Reading: All In Divine Order
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odlanra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by odlanra »

We may have to define strictly the meaning of suitable. Is it if a reader can understand the book, if a reader can at most enjoy the book or at least accept that it exists, if a reader can be influenced to such a degree that it will elicit reactions, pro or con, yet will not have behaviors detrimental to the accepted norms of society. Or perhaps all of them. If the book touches on advanced theories of science or even on subjects that need an extensive background, a reader may not understand it, if a book is about Christianity, a Christian may understand it, and may like it, or may dislike but tolerate it, or may throw the book away. The second criteria is related to open mindedness. The last criteria is related to maturity.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

In my opinion, this book is equally suited for people of all religions because it uses quantum mechanics and philosophy to elaborate it's concepts. Nowhere in the book was any religion prioritized, nor any religion degraded.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

with this book peeping into both quantum physics and philosophy, I think that it can be okay for anyone to read it despite of their different beliefs.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I think the scientific and philosophical approaches used in this book render it a suitable read for the various faiths.
As long as all the elements are tackled neutrally and respectfully, I see no reason why the author cannot touch upon such an interesting subject matter. I myself found it to be an intriguing read.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

Since the point of view was science, I think any person with religious background could enjoy the read. However, it could not appeal that much to other religions.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”