What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

readsbyarun wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 15:11 I understood the book was trying to convey some inner meanings. It is totally about there is a supreme power on top of all living race and that needs to be acknowledged by every living being in the world.
That is actually the author's true idea behind this book, to prove the presence of the God. He doesn't say that that is the Christian God since he is trying to attract everyone towards his idea. So he says that there is a supreme being and it can be even proved scientifically
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I think the author believes there is a supreme being but is still open to scientific theories alongside her religious beliefs. I think the book is trying to move away from stereotypical religious conformity and suggesting it’s ok to have different ideas and beliefs than those that are preached to you in a traditional religious institution.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Author attempts to show as indicated by quantum physics which is a material science and theory that there is a some kind of predominant being, (God) which is tended to from numerous points of view in different religions. Each religion believes in the existence of God just the way of expression is different.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Eareeves99 wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 11:28 Dr. Hunt is a medical doctor who seems to have been hurt by overzealous practitioners of religion and has since, in his cynicism, developed his own ideas and opinions about who God is. I think he does believe in a god but he has taken his beliefs from fragments of things that others believe to be true and what he wants to be true; he has created his own god.
I don't think he has created his own god, but rather made his own interpretation of God, just like everyone else. For example, someone might believe that God hates that gays and loves the straights, but that's their own interpretation of God. An all loving and perfect god is just the author's own interpretation. It's not a different god, per se, but rather a different view of the one God. Everyone's beliefs are taken from things others believe to be true. Someone may take the 1948 mistranslation of the Bible because they want it to be true that it is wrong to be gay, but that was mistranslated on purpose to fit someone else's own beliefs. It is completely normal and healthy to change your opinions as you grow up (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone), and this is what the author has done. He has moved away from the indoctrination of the Church and interpreted the Bible to what fits his own values, rather than the Church's values.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Cazrichmond wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 09:14 I think the author believes there is a supreme being but is still open to scientific theories alongside her religious beliefs. I think the book is trying to move away from stereotypical religious conformity and suggesting it’s ok to have different ideas and beliefs than those that are preached to you in a traditional religious institution.
Exactly. The book encourages the reader to question what he already believe and try to see the reality. Yet the author is already having his own opinions and that attempt is seemingly biased
Sushan Ekanayake

Fozia RYK wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 00:42 Author attempts to show as indicated by quantum physics which is a material science and theory that there is a some kind of predominant being, (God) which is tended to from numerous points of view in different religions. Each religion believes in the existence of God just the way of expression is different.
Many religions teach about a God. The author also has been taught that in his religion. But seemingly he has questioned that teachings and has tried to see the truth. But ultimately he has come to where he begun and now he tries to prove that the God is true
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I feel the author's basis of providing philosophical and scientific arguments on the issue of a supreme being is to provide a basis for bringing his own preconceived notions on the subject.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I believe, as many of you said before me, that the author is just stating her thoughts. After looking for answers, she comes to tell us the facts and opinions she found. However, it is also true that she does give a somewhat biased narrative, due to her own personal beliefs.
Sushan Ekanayake

Slater678 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 09:18 I feel the author's basis of providing philosophical and scientific arguments on the issue of a supreme being is to provide a basis for bringing his own preconceived notions on the subject.
Agreed. The author has found some scientific explanations for his religious beliefs and he has convinced himself of the presence of a God. By writing this book, he has attempted to attract an audience for his thoughts, and this audience contains educated and thinking people who look at something scientifically
Sushan Ekanayake

nanglada wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 11:10 I believe, as many of you said before me, that the author is just stating her thoughts. After looking for answers, she comes to tell us the facts and opinions she found. However, it is also true that she does give a somewhat biased narrative, due to her own personal beliefs.
Seemingly the book is innocent and it carries only the facts that the author found in is studies. Yet, he has done his studies to prove something that he believed. So ultimately what he has done is believing the presence of God, finding scientific facts to prove his point, and stating them in this book
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I can't really speak for the author's intentions. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I felt that no matter whether I disagreed, the author clearly got me thinking hard on the subject. I appreciate other views that oppose my own.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I think the author is just trying to approach the existence of God from a scientific level and then leave it up to the readers to make up their minds.

Religion for some can be stifling and tend to put one in a box, removing the ability to question or seek answers. After all, we should walk by faith and not by sight.

The author by writing this book is trying to overcome that by opening the metaphorical box and throwing everything in it up for questioning and scrutiny.
Sushan Ekanayake

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 20:17 I can't really speak for the author's intentions. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I felt that no matter whether I disagreed, the author clearly got me thinking hard on the subject. I appreciate other views that oppose my own.
Ofcourse. The author opens the reader's mind and cause him/her to think over the facts that the book contains, unless the reader is too adamant for new opinions regarding his/her own beliefs. But as I see, by stirring the reader's thoughts, the author ultimately tries to simply insert his opinions regarding a supreme being into reader's mind
Sushan Ekanayake

Fola_M wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 11:20 I think the author is just trying to approach the existence of God from a scientific level and then leave it up to the readers to make up their minds.

Religion for some can be stifling and tend to put one in a box, removing the ability to question or seek answers. After all, we should walk by faith and not by sight.

The author by writing this book is trying to overcome that by opening the metaphorical box and throwing everything in it up for questioning and scrutiny.
The author had his own questions regarding the religious teachings. So he went to find answers for them. And he came back with scientific evidence to prove some of the teachings and to disprove some. Here he has stated his questions and the facts that he found regarding them and has stirred up the reader's mind, making the reader question his/her long held beliefs
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieogoo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by AnnieOgoo »

Yes, I agree with you. The author was trying to prove (through logic and science and faith) that there is God. He however didn't impose his opinions on anyone, or imply that they were the ultimate truth. He was merely stating his thoughts and findings on his quest for God.
He also pointed out the 'limitations' of religion in considering God, and how man has, over the years, used religion to protect his personal, social, and cultural interest.
Live and let live, baby. :wink:

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”