Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Re: Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

car-mbz wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 06:45 I think this book expresses the authors thoughts about the bible and the church. This doesn't make the bible a fraud and I think this book is not superior to the bible. I believe the bible was inspired by God and no one is superior to Him.
Exactly! He is making a fraud of those who are so called 'superiors' in the Church and interpret the Bible for their own gain to control people. However, I don't think this book claims to be superior to the Bible. On the other hand, like you say, the Bible was inspired by beliefs in God and His message, but it was written by men and their interpretation of God's word based on the values at the time. This book does the same thing in a way. It interprets God's word based on the author's own values. I am not saying it is superior to the Bible, but just giving another interpretation of what it could be!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The book contains the author's views, while the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit. I don't think the author makes it seem as though the Bible is a fraud. The book is, in no way, superior to the Bible.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think we should consider the enormous cultural influence the Bible has had. Whether it was manipulated or not, the end result is the same and what matters, in my opinion, is what we do with it. We can use it to learn to be kinder, to take solace in it or to harm and judge others. But that's up to us and doesn't change because of its background.
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

Sushan wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 00:25
BellAJoEb wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 16:26 My opinion on this topic will somewhat be different from other people's as well as the author's. I read and meditate on the bible and I see it as being supreme over all. It cannot be compared to any other book.

The author, being a catholic is likely to have been affected by her background and hence her conclusion/opinion on what the bible is today than initially.

The bible remains supreme.
People can change, so as their beliefs. When you learn and your knowledge is increased you tend to see the things that you already knew in a different manner. The author has done the same. I don't see anything wrong in questioning your religious beliefs unless you are trying to discredit or harm the religion
Agreed that people along side their advanced knowledge could change overtime, like what happed to the author here, but my opinion still
Stand, and it doesn't question another's.
Bookerish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Bookerish »

Hello everyone! This is my first comment in the forum as the post and the discussions of it has intrigued me :)

The Bible and other holy books are great books to learn from yet their interpretations keeps changing through time and due to the evolving nature of the human beings perspective and the events of the world. There are people who argue that some assumed holy books are the work of human beings and they back this up by the existing different versions of these holy books. A holy book according to some, should have only one version.

Note: I would really appreciate if you could provide the title and author of the book, so we could give an honest opinion about it.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Abi_kanda wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 13:43 It's obvious everyone has a different opinion about the Bible. As for me, I know that no matter what book I read, the Bible will never be a fraud. What I wonder though is whether the author, having a catholic background, wrote this book meaning to challenge the Bible.
Apparently he had no intention to challenge the bible. Yet he challenges the biblical teachings which came through the church, which seem corrupted and politically manipulated. In that case the question rises, whether the bible has been altered by the church or not
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

zainherb wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 16:48
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
Interesting question.

I do not know if the bible is a fraud or not.
I know that one book written by one human being can not make the bible a fraud.
It would take a lot more than that.
Perhaps the author's questions are valid, it doesn't make the bible wrong altogether, just the opinions of individuals.
A book written by one author according to his knowledge and experience cannot disprove a book which is thousands of years old and written by many authors. Yet, if the biblical teachings have been altered by the church, as the author says, can we any more believe what the later editions of the bible says as the true words came from God
Sushan Ekanayake

Chanel_435 wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 19:25 I think with many people having their own interests in life defines whether they will accept something is wrong or not. I don't think it always has to do with facts or statistics for a source to show validation that they are liable. I think the battle lies between that persons personal interests and what goes against them, for them to accept their source for what it is instead of what it's not.

For me, the Bible is not meant to always make sense. It's not what you read instead its the message you can gain from it. I think that's were the confusion lies between one who wants to understand the Bible but can't obtain the message from it.
Religious teachings doesn't have to be proved, that is a quality needed in science. Religion is not science. Yet when it comes to scriptures, this 'no need to prove' thing has been misused. It is not only found in bible, but since here we are discussing about the bible, the church has done many corrupted changes to its content, so the message that its reader is getting can be far away from the truth
Sushan Ekanayake

Karunavk wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 23:23 As I understand the author is trying to draw our attention towards the way the holy Book is interpreted by the proponents of the faith, not the Book, per se. The teachings of Bible are profound and so potent that any problem we face, we can find reprieve and solution for it in the Book. What the author's problem is with the way these teachings are diluted and trickled down in form of rituals, dogmas and rules that a good Christian has to follow.
That is the author's main accusation. He says that the church has corrupted and manipulated the biblical teachings and interpreted them for their own benefit. But the point is that these manipulations might be included in the later versions of the bible as well. In that case for what extent it contains the truth is a matter of question
Sushan Ekanayake

car-mbz wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 06:45 I think this book expresses the authors thoughts about the bible and the church. This doesn't make the bible a fraud and I think this book is not superior to the bible. I believe the bible was inspired by God and no one is superior to Him.
The book depicts author's beliefs and findings regarding the church and the bible. And it is true that the bible carries the God's message. But what if the author's accusations are true? If the church has truly manipulated the biblical teachings and the bible has bee written through generations by corrupted and biased authors, can we believe that it still contains the God's true word
Sushan Ekanayake

Nkoo wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:42 The book contains the author's views, while the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit. I don't think the author makes it seem as though the Bible is a fraud. The book is, in no way, superior to the Bible.
It is true that the book carries the author's opinions. Yet he has proof for what he says. He is accusing the church for manipulating the biblical teachings for political gains. And the bible is written by men too, though what it carries is believed to be God's message. So when all those corruptions and manipulations are considered, can we still believe that the recent versions of the bible carries God's true message
Sushan Ekanayake

Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:59 I think we should consider the enormous cultural influence the Bible has had. Whether it was manipulated or not, the end result is the same and what matters, in my opinion, is what we do with it. We can use it to learn to be kinder, to take solace in it or to harm and judge others. But that's up to us and doesn't change because of its background.
That is quite insightful. Whatever the content the bible has, what is important is how we use it. If we use it for do good and be good, it is of no value whether the content has been changed or not. Still we have to keep in mind the fact that the bible is written by men, who can be biased by many ways. So when we use the biblical content to judge others, we have to think even more than twice
Sushan Ekanayake

Bookerish wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 04:21 Hello everyone! This is my first comment in the forum as the post and the discussions of it has intrigued me :)

The Bible and other holy books are great books to learn from yet their interpretations keeps changing through time and due to the evolving nature of the human beings perspective and the events of the world. There are people who argue that some assumed holy books are the work of human beings and they back this up by the existing different versions of these holy books. A holy book according to some, should have only one version.

Note: I would really appreciate if you could provide the title and author of the book, so we could give an honest opinion about it.
If I am not mistaken, you have requested for the details of the book that we are discussing about. It is,

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe
by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Or, if you are asking about a specific version of the bible or any other gospel, we are not discussing of something specific, but regarding the points that the author has raised through his book, regarding the political corruptions and manipulations that the church has done through ages for the biblical teachings
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sushan wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 10:03
Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:59 I think we should consider the enormous cultural influence the Bible has had. Whether it was manipulated or not, the end result is the same and what matters, in my opinion, is what we do with it. We can use it to learn to be kinder, to take solace in it or to harm and judge others. But that's up to us and doesn't change because of its background.
That is quite insightful. Whatever the content the bible has, what is important is how we use it. If we use it for do good and be good, it is of no value whether the content has been changed or not. Still we have to keep in mind the fact that the bible is written by men, who can be biased by many ways. So when we use the biblical content to judge others, we have to think even more than twice
Yes, of course. I think we should always think twice before judging whether or not it's based on the Bible. We often don't know the circumstances that lead many people to act the way they do, and kindness is often a better option.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I think that it is valuable to understand that the Bible is a set of collected texts written by humans and often misinterpreted by humans. There are also many more texts that are not included in the canon Bible. Biblical literalists take certain interpretations of these texts and use them to justify behavior such as racism, sexism, and homophobia. Whether or not one believes in God, Biblical literalism is not useful or helpful.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”