The author is not having a solid stand. Is that okay?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: The author is not having a solid stand. Is that okay?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Pamela Bianca Mas wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 07:45 I think it is perfectly fine for the author to not have a solid stand with the arguments in the book simply because she is letting her readers decide on their own. She presents points to be taken in consideration, but gives her audience the freedom to think for themselves.
The author is writing this book with already formed his own opinions. So we can't truly say that he is unbiased and merely stating the facts that he found. In that context, he could have clearly exposed which side he is supporting to and make clear arguments rather than stating the facts that he found and giving the reader the impression that the reader can make his/her own decision, which is actually not
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Eva Stoyanova wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:13
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:54 I think it might actually make her more objective and credible. It could be that she doesn't want to influence the readers' opinion.
Exactly. Maybe the whole point of the book is to be objective and to let readers have their own opinion and thoughts on the matter. It's important and quite nice to actually have our own thoughts on something we read, and not simply following and believing what books are saying.
It is good of a book is not conveying decisions, but facts which are helpful for decision making. Yet, as this author is having his own opinions, the facts that he stated are directive towards a set of conclusions which are in a very narrow range. In that case, the author could have clearly taken a side and build up the argument, so the reader could have thought for or against that
Sushan Ekanayake

Sararob06 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 20:20 I think in order to foster a healthy discussion the author should not take sides. Religion is deeply personal and trying to apply scientific rationale too aggressively could come across as attacking religion. I think cementing her stance would dissuade the opposing side from reading her book which furthers the divide.
By being arbitrary about taking a side, the author has written a book which will be appealing to many. Yet he is not fully neutral in his writing, since he is already having his beliefs about the presence of a Supreme being. So though it seems unintentional, the author has directed the reader towards his own opinions. So he could have clearly stated that rather than merely giving the false idea that the reader is making his/her own decisions
Sushan Ekanayake

Adedayo+23 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 06:55 I believe the author's intention is to reach a wider audience and create space for deep contemplations and thought-provoking discussions which is not a bad thing. Taking a solid stand may likely alienate certain categories of people who might not agree with the author's stand, or feel that her arguments are biased in favor of either science or religion depending on which side she picks. I believe there's nothing wrong with her decision not to have a solid stand.
As he is not having any solid stand, or as he is pretending that he doesn't have, the book could have been unbiased. Yet it doesn't. That means that he has not allowed the reader to think fully free and make his/her own decisions. In that case the author could have revealed where he actually stands. And yes, that will have averted some of the audience
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I've always felt like religion is a completely personal affair. It's like different people taking different roads to a particular destination, and I appreciate the author allowing the reader to find their own road.
Sushan Ekanayake

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 11:07
Sararob06 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 20:20 I think in order to foster a healthy discussion the author should not take sides. Religion is deeply personal and trying to apply scientific rationale too aggressively could come across as attacking religion. I think cementing her stance would dissuade the opposing side from reading her book which furthers the divide.
On the other hand, the author is trying to make sense of his own beliefs, so in a way it makes sense for them to be taking a a side in the argument. I don't think he mentions that he is going to make a balanced argument, and while it might some sense for him to have raised some points against his argument, I think it's fair that he hasn't as this is based on making sense of his own religious values and the struggle that he has faced with them.
After his own struggle with the religious teachings, the author has made his own conclusions. And he states those facts in this book. So finally what happens is that the reader going towards the writers conclusions. By not having a solid stand on either side, the author has masked that and given the idea to the reader that he/she is making his/her own conclusions, which is not 100% correct
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Eva Stoyanova wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:13
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:54 I think it might actually make her more objective and credible. It could be that she doesn't want to influence the readers' opinion.
Exactly. Maybe the whole point of the book is to be objective and to let readers have their own opinion and thoughts on the matter. It's important and quite nice to actually have our own thoughts on something we read, and not simply following and believing what books are saying.
Well said. Yes, I find myself sometimes just going along with a book, only to realize that my ideas are different. :tiphat:
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

I think it is more prevent to some outsiders when a person's stance isn't set in stone. It makes the message come across as open. I do see what you mean though, because how can you trust the words of someone who stands by nothing, or not by what they say. Very intriguing.
Sushan Ekanayake

Wy_Bertram wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 19:17 I've always felt like religion is a completely personal affair. It's like different people taking different roads to a particular destination, and I appreciate the author allowing the reader to find their own road.
Religions can get very much personal. The devouts can interpret it as per their knowledge and beliefs. But in this book the author has just stated the facts without going into any conclusions, so such devouts can use the facts in the book as per their wish. Thus the author has made the book to reach a wide audience
Sushan Ekanayake

Intel wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 10:28 I think it is more prevent to some outsiders when a person's stance isn't set in stone. It makes the message come across as open. I do see what you mean though, because how can you trust the words of someone who stands by nothing, or not by what they say. Very intriguing.
A good point. The author merely says many things without putting any weight towards any side of his argument. If he cannot find a strong side of his argument, how can the reader trust what the author says?
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

It's fine as it helps the reader come up with opinions and thoughts about what the author has mentioned. Being objective never hurts.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

I think it's okay. It prevents the author from having too much bias. It is also good because we readers get to see things on different standpoints
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieogoo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by AnnieOgoo »

From what I understand, one objective of this book was to compare science and religion in a unifying sense. For instance, the author used physics (protons, electrons, and neutrons) to explain God's all-knowing power. Taking a solid for either side would have defeated the purpose of explaining science alongside religion.

Besides, religion is a very controversial topic (one of the most controversial ever). Thus, taking SOLID sides requires an unshakable conviction. And I think that was exactly what the author was trying to avoid. He wanted everyone to choose and decide for themselves, just as he has.
Live and let live, baby. :wink:
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I felt it was a bit weird. The writer tried to be open to all birds and avoid causing offence to anyone however it was a bit wishy-washy as a result.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I personally found it quite agreeable. I think the author avoided pushing thoughts or beliefs to the readers and I think that's a good thing. Books should make us contemplate and see deeper within ourselves.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”