The author is not having a solid stand. Is that okay?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: The author is not having a solid stand. Is that okay?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Fae Liesl Enchantee wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 04:11 I think it's okay. It prevents the author from having too much bias. It is also good because we readers get to see things on different standpoints
There is no too much bias. Yet we can't say the book is unbiased as well. The author has his preoccupations and tries to prove them, while showing that he is not taking any side particularly. I feel like it is an attempt to reach a large audience while accomplishing his goals as well
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

AnnieOgoo wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 04:49 From what I understand, one objective of this book was to compare science and religion in a unifying sense. For instance, the author used physics (protons, electrons, and neutrons) to explain God's all-knowing power. Taking a solid for either side would have defeated the purpose of explaining science alongside religion.

Besides, religion is a very controversial topic (one of the most controversial ever). Thus, taking SOLID sides requires an unshakable conviction. And I think that was exactly what the author was trying to avoid. He wanted everyone to choose and decide for themselves, just as he has.
It is true that the author had few issues regarding his religion and that is why he has done some studying and research. Finally he has developed a strong conviction that the presence of God is scientifically true. So, with that opinion he has written this book. Along with comparing science and religion, he has tried to prove that the God is true. Given his intentions, he could have easily taken a solid stand on the side of religion. But for some reason he has not done that
Sushan Ekanayake

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 07:14 I felt it was a bit weird. The writer tried to be open to all birds and avoid causing offence to anyone however it was a bit wishy-washy as a result.
That is what I see too. The author has tried to keep the book open to anyone. Yet the content is not totally unbiased. It carries the author's own opinions. But no conclusions or no solid standing at either side. It could have been better if the author conveyed his points being on one side
Sushan Ekanayake

dianaterrado wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 09:18 I personally found it quite agreeable. I think the author avoided pushing thoughts or beliefs to the readers and I think that's a good thing. Books should make us contemplate and see deeper within ourselves.
It is true that the book is not pushing any ideas to the reader, or it seems like that it is not doing so. Yet the book is not fully unbiased and it carries author's own opinions on the universe and God. So, even without knowing, the reader is ultimately reading what author believes. In that case the author could have taken a solid standing and by not doing so, it leaves the question "why he has not done that?"
Benyona Nanjala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benyona-nanjala.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by Benyona Nanjala »

I think it is okay for the author not to have a stand. It might be because it is more of a theory and the real reasons behind some things have not been fully discovered. I also think the author is leaving room for the readers to research over the same and draw their
own conclusions.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Sushan wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 20:33
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 07:14 I felt it was a bit weird. The writer tried to be open to all birds and avoid causing offence to anyone however it was a bit wishy-washy as a result.
That is what I see too. The author has tried to keep the book open to anyone. Yet the content is not totally unbiased. It carries the author's own opinions. But no conclusions or no solid standing at either side. It could have been better if the author conveyed his points being on one side
You're completely right. He should have made a decided stand for for what he himself believed in so as to avoid the confusion by the readers.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Sushan wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 04:17
Arimart99 wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 02:34
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 23:08

Being arbitrary works sometimes but not always. Yes, we don't have to have a solid stand, we can be flexible and open to opposing opinions. Still, I think you should have your own stand and opinion so you can either prove or defend your side. It is good for this sort of a book to not take any side, yet I believe the author has done so to merely contact a wider audience and avoid any blames for being biased
I agree that the author is trying to reach a wide audience, but I don't think the author is necessarily doing it to avoid blames. I mean, how do we know that there isn't a part of the author that's still struggling about which side to take? I mean that's a huge deal some people struggle with - not knowing what to believe in anymore. I'm saying this because I also struggled a long time with my beliefs as I grew up and learned about science.
That is quite acceptable. When your knowledge increases you tend to see things differently and the things that you believed through your whole life may seem wrong. And you are remained in indecision, trying to choose a side. Maybe the author is going through the same and we may never know that
This is very true.
Maybe the author is going through indecision.
Also, maybe the author is afraid of taking a stand in her book.
Or maybe the author wants us to come to our own conclusions without clearly pushing hers on the readers.
Maybe the author feels her arguments have clearly stated her stand to anyone who cares to see it.
Or maybe the author is indeed struggling and doesn't know what to belief anymore and this reflects in the book.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sushan Ekanayake

Benyona Nanjala wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 14:26 I think it is okay for the author not to have a stand. It might be because it is more of a theory and the real reasons behind some things have not been fully discovered. I also think the author is leaving room for the readers to research over the same and draw their
own conclusions.
It is quite true that some of the discussed points are still not fully known. Ad the author has left some space for the reader to make his/her own conclusions. Yet, the author is not totally unbiased. He is having his own opinions regarding God. So he could have clearly stated his stand and then the points in the book would have been far more organized and to the point
Sushan Ekanayake

zainherb wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 18:23
Sushan wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 04:17
Arimart99 wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 02:34

I agree that the author is trying to reach a wide audience, but I don't think the author is necessarily doing it to avoid blames. I mean, how do we know that there isn't a part of the author that's still struggling about which side to take? I mean that's a huge deal some people struggle with - not knowing what to believe in anymore. I'm saying this because I also struggled a long time with my beliefs as I grew up and learned about science.
That is quite acceptable. When your knowledge increases you tend to see things differently and the things that you believed through your whole life may seem wrong. And you are remained in indecision, trying to choose a side. Maybe the author is going through the same and we may never know that
This is very true.
Maybe the author is going through indecision.
Also, maybe the author is afraid of taking a stand in her book.
Or maybe the author wants us to come to our own conclusions without clearly pushing hers on the readers.
Maybe the author feels her arguments have clearly stated her stand to anyone who cares to see it.
Or maybe the author is indeed struggling and doesn't know what to belief anymore and this reflects in the book.
One or few of the points that you have mentioned can be true. Yet, as a fact, what remains is the author's preoccupations regarding the presence of God. He never states a possibility against God's presence. So what I feel is that the author has tried to avoid any blame coming to his book for being biased and also to reach a wide audience by not having a solid stand in his beliefs
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:39 There are several books to be found when it comes to comparisons between religions and science and also questioning religious teachings from a practical view point. But the authors of many of such books have their own solid stands and discusses the points as for and against.

But when it comes to this particular book, the author has not kept any solid stand anywhere and freely discusses the subjects, letting the readers to form their own ideas. She does not take the side of either the religion or the science.

Is that approach is appropriate for such a discussion? Or is it the author's mere target of gaining a wide audience? Or has the author simply avoided receiving any blame for taking a side?
I think its alright to let the readers decide what is right. Letting the readers form their own ideas and trying not to control or manipulate thier thought process tells a lot about the character of the author(although some might say that it is to avoid recieving blame for taking sides)
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

To me the author was just giving the audience a clue and leaving them to make their own decision, its okay that he did not have a in one side stand also to avoid judgements, afterall,the bible depends on how you personally interpret it.
Sushan Ekanayake

Fahad Baibras wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 04:52
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:39 There are several books to be found when it comes to comparisons between religions and science and also questioning religious teachings from a practical view point. But the authors of many of such books have their own solid stands and discusses the points as for and against.

But when it comes to this particular book, the author has not kept any solid stand anywhere and freely discusses the subjects, letting the readers to form their own ideas. She does not take the side of either the religion or the science.

Is that approach is appropriate for such a discussion? Or is it the author's mere target of gaining a wide audience? Or has the author simply avoided receiving any blame for taking a side?
I think its alright to let the readers decide what is right. Letting the readers form their own ideas and trying not to control or manipulate thier thought process tells a lot about the character of the author(although some might say that it is to avoid recieving blame for taking sides)
The author's true intentions are only known by the author himself. Yes, it is okay for a book to be open for all the readers with no conclusions or manipulations. If the author took a side, the opposing side might not be very much fond of the book
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I think it is okay for an author not to take a specific side in an argument they are putting forward. They may want the readers to come to their own conclusions. Or perhaps they are trying to understand what they think themselves. It reminds me somewhat of the Socratic dialogues. Plato (writing under the name Socrates), when in debate, led his opponent to his way of thinking by posing a series of question which led eventually to the truth. He does not really bang his opponent over the head with his way of thinking. He shows them why his side is right by leading them to the logical conclusion based on their own answers to his questions.
-Thea M. Frederick
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I don't see any contradiction between science and religion anyway, but perhaps she is trying to be objective
hlhunt33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hlhunt33 »

I definitely wanted to reach every human alive. It is the only way peace may be achieved. We must all become like-minded. I carry that concept to its logical conclusion in this book's sequel, Peace in Spirituality. Hilary Hunt

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”