Overall rating and opinion of " Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
favalomane
Currently Reading: CodeY
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favalomane.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by favalomane »

I rate this book a 3 due to the grammatical errors though his perspective and thoughts are fascinating. It should have undergone reviewing to remove the grammatical errors.
graciethomas928
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri, Volume 2
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graciethomas928.html

Post by graciethomas928 »

I ended up rating this book 1 out of 4. I don't think it was organized well, it had way too many punctuation and grammatical errors, and his lack of evidence made it hard to get through. It felt like he thought his opinions were rare, when really, a lot of Christians who have left the church have a lot of the same criticisms.

Here is a quote I found especially frustrating to read, given his lack of reasoning and evidence:
"At the very least, I have developed a scheme of God, the universe and their interrelation that is both scientifically and philosophically sound. That is more than anyone else I am aware of has done."

I think several of his ideas had potential, but the writing was messy and unorganized.
Outi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-outi.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Outi »

I tried to read this book but gave up after 33 pages. There were far too many spelling errors and very disturbing errors of punctuation. These made understanding the writer's ideas even more difficult as if his illogical train of thought and unfounded opinions weren't enough. I just felt pity for the writer for having been born into a religion he wasn't happy with. Had I been able to finish the book, I presume I would have rated it 1 out of 4 stars.
Shiko254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shiko254 »

I enjoyed this book as it made me think and ask questions. There were many things I agreed with yet many things I questioned, thought about and reasoned over. Some things I still question and a few I still have a disagreement. Overall I found the book informative and enjoyable and I learned a few things throughout. The author came from a catholic background but it relates very well to religion in general. The main point being no matter what religion or way of life, following Jesus command to love God and love one another transcends religious lines and interpretations
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html

Post by zulfiyya »

I rated Wilderness Cry 1 out of 4 stars because it was truly one of the worst books I have ever read. Grammar errors, typos, spelling mistakes, childish punctuation with multiple exclamation points and question marks, sentences obnoxiously typed in capitals, too many unnecessary introductory phrases, terrible transitions from one idea to another, and that's just the faults with the writing style...
Lalit_kendre14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalit-kendre14.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Lalit_kendre14 »

I figure the writer worked really hard by consolidating science and theory in this book. I likewise appreciate that the creator wasn't intense and forcing with his educating, and the way that it will be useful for all convictions is only the bomb. I'll rate this book an ideal score.
Nitika Sood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-HDFC-Head-Girl.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nitika Sood »

"Wilderness Cry" was an interesting book, if not we'll researched and edited. However, the author has simply picked up on ideas and material from different sources without conducting thorough research. His opinions on organised religion and God were not very well thought out and the grammatical and spelling errors were very irritating, since you could find at least 4 typos on every page of the book. However, one thing that I really liked about the book was that unlike other religious books based entirely on faith and opinions, he had addded elements of science and incorporated discoveries into his book. For that reason alone, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars, instead of giving it 1 out of 4 stars.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I rate this book 3 out 4 stars. The book is lacking on some fact-based assertions. The text contained so many errors as well. However, I still gave it a 3 because I managed to pick a thing or two from the author’s discussions. What I like the most is the discussion about the perfection of God because it made the most sense to me. Additionally, I think the author intends to write this is an opinion piece rather than an academic work. I still recommend it some casual readers who’s looking for a quick, thought-provoking read.
KaylinBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylinbrown.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by KaylinBrown »

I agree 100% with this review! I looked at the official OnlineBookclub review and saw that it was given 4/4 (as were the 6 featured reviews) and started to wonder if these people read the same book as me... the grammatical and punctuation mistakes were so bad I didn’t think I would actually be able to make it through the book. I felt like it was hardly edited at all. I am glad I am not the only person out there that didn’t find this book that enjoyable to try to read.
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 09:43 I normally don't enjoy giving books low ratings but i just have to say from my personal point of view that Wilderness Cry was NOT a good book. I rate it 1 out of 4 stars. There were so many grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors that could simply not be overlooked and which caused me a lot of frustration with the book. Another problem I had with it was the vagueness and the flimsiness of the text. Hunt did not provide any concrete references or referrals from which he took his information. As such I could not in good conscience take any of his writings as fact and i had to dismiss them as hearsay. I would honestly not recommend this book to others.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

This book brought up a lot of important discussions about the existence of God by exploring science-based theories. I commend him for criticizing organized religions because it is only right that they should not be exempt from such, but his novel still does not have much scientific or academic claims to back up what he said, his writing is more heavily opinion based.
Mtracey
Favorite Book: Soul Seeker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtracey.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by Mtracey »

This books was hard to get through because of all the grammar errors. I think it would be best if the author were to have the book professionally edited. The storyline had real potential, but I could not get past the errors. 1 out of 4 stars.
Linnette
Currently Reading: Midwinter Turns to Spring
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linnette.html
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing

Post by Linnette »

This book could have been a 4 out of 4 stars if the opinions made by the author sounded less personal. The grammatical errors too are so distracting. The book is either way generally good.
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing
fiocha1996_25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiocha1996-25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiocha1996_25 »

I just finished reading this book, and I felt the mistakes were very distracting, almost every page has typos and it takes away the attention from the plot. The book isn't bad, but it lacks consistency from my point of view, there are lots of opinions on specific topics that are contradictory and also remain being just opinions without any substantial references. For that, I rate this book 2 out of 4.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I would give Wilderness Cry 2 out of 4 stars. I was looking forward to reading a doctors ideas about God, the universe, etc. What this is, I felt, was a piece that went from venting about the church, to expressing repairs to dogma. I think it could have been better organized (geniuses aside who are probably like OMG! This is soooo easy and fun to flip back and forth from topic to topic) and I think as a whole, the book would be better understood. The author has excellent points and provides examples to support his position. I did not like that some of the arguments leave a lot of room for error in the real world. Although, that could be my biased viewpoint which is also based on the idea that some audiences will have no idea what he is talking about when he uses terms specific to Catholicism. That would make this hard to read, I think. Although the book was not what I was expecting, I still enjoyed the book.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Alhiza23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alhiza23.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by Alhiza23 »

This book was a good book. I love the bravery of the author to tackle such a controversial topic. However, the grammatical and typographical errors made it difficult to understand the notion of the opinions. Another was the lack of references which was important to strengthen the stated fact. I will rate the book two out of four stars.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”