Mystery/whodunit Book Discussion

For November 2020 we'll be reading Mystery/whodunit books.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Mystery/whodunit Book Discussion

Post by gali »

For this month, we will read Mystery/whodunit Books.

Mystery: "usually involves a mysterious death or a crime to be solved. Often within a closed circle of suspects, each suspect is usually provided with a credible motive and a reasonable opportunity for committing the crime. Mystery fiction can also involve a supernatural mystery in which the solution does not have to be logical and even in which there is no crime involved."

whodunit: is a "complex, plot-driven variety of a detective story in which the puzzle regarding who committed the crime is the main focus. The reader or viewer is provided with the clues from which the identity of the perpetrator may be deduced before the story provides the revelation itself at its climax. The investigation is usually conducted by an eccentric, amateur, or semi-professional detective".

Here are some guiding questions:
  • What are you reading/have read for this month?
  • Were there any other genres featured in that book?
  • What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I just read Murder Past Due, which is the first book in the "A Cat in the Stacks" series. It's what I've sometimes heard described as a "cozy mystery" series, for it is set in a small town, and it doesn't use many of the tropes associated with mysteries set in urban areas. For example, there is little or no foul language. Most of the characters are fairly nice; even the killer seems friendly until the very end.

The book reminded me of Murder on the Orient Express in one important way: The victim was such a colossal jerk that half the people in the town had good reasons for wanting him dead. The protagonist, Charlie Harris, thus had the unenviable task of figuring out which of Godfrey Priest's enemies had actually done the deed. He is actually a librarian, as well as an amateur detective. He is also the proud owner of a Maine Coon cat called Diesel for his extremely loud purr. Diesel is cute and amusing, but he doesn't display any exceptional intelligence.
gali

Post by gali »

a_r_egerton wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 11:24 I just read Murder Past Due, which is the first book in the "A Cat in the Stacks" series. It's what I've sometimes heard described as a "cozy mystery" series, for it is set in a small town, and it doesn't use many of the tropes associated with mysteries set in urban areas. For example, there is little or no foul language. Most of the characters are fairly nice; even the killer seems friendly until the very end.

The book reminded me of Murder on the Orient Express in one important way: The victim was such a colossal jerk that half the people in the town had good reasons for wanting him dead. The protagonist, Charlie Harris, thus had the unenviable task of figuring out which of Godfrey Priest's enemies had actually done the deed. He is actually a librarian, as well as an amateur detective. He is also the proud owner of a Maine Coon cat called Diesel for his extremely loud purr. Diesel is cute and amusing, but he doesn't display any exceptional intelligence.
I loved Murder on the Orient Express, so I will check this one. Thank you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I just finished reviewing A Woman Scorned and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. For most of the murder mysteries I have read, I usually had a good idea who the murderer was. Not so with this one. So many people hated him, it could have been anyone. The murderer turned out to be someone I barely considered, but it made sense. They did have a motive. I would definitely recommend this book because it is a good, clean mystery only mild profanity and sexual content.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
gali

Post by gali »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 21:33 I just finished reviewing A Woman Scorned and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. For most of the murder mysteries I have read, I usually had a good idea who the murderer was. Not so with this one. So many people hated him, it could have been anyone. The murderer turned out to be someone I barely considered, but it made sense. They did have a motive. I would definitely recommend this book because it is a good, clean mystery only mild profanity and sexual content.
:text-thankyouyellow:
A retired Admin/Mod

Maal1020
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maal1020 »

I've been looking for a new book I enjoy mystery
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

as a 19 year old, I am still very much happy reading Enid Blyton's books, they are so simple yet satisfying mysteries to read and they make me very nostalgic and also they're very good to read on depression days as they are never sad in any way
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
gali

Post by gali »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 13:29 as a 19 year old, I am still very much happy reading Enid Blyton's books, they are so simple yet satisfying mysteries to read and they make me very nostalgic and also they're very good to read on depression days as they are never sad in any way
I love her books! She is a good author indeed!
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “November 2020 Genre Discussion”