Am I the only one who did not like Ron?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Sudasha Donatien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudasha-donatien.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Icon Am I the only one who did not like Ron?

Post by Sudasha Donatien »

I can't be the only person who really did not like Ron. As the main protagonist, there were many times where his actions and thoughts irked me; he was just too "wishy-washy" for me. Just when he would do something to redeem himself, there he went again to mess it all up. I understand that he did not have a traditional upbringing- but at a certain point, I was literally shouting at him to grow up!
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Sudasha Donatien wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 20:28 I can't be the only person who really did not like Ron. As the main protagonist, there were many times where his actions and thoughts irked me; he was just too "wishy-washy" for me. Just when he would do something to redeem himself, there he went again to mess it all up. I understand that he did not have a traditional upbringing- but at a certain point, I was literally shouting at him to grow up!
That makes two of us, sister! I didn't like him a bit. His character wasn't ideal for a protagonist role. Maybe he should have been the antagonist in the story!
Sudasha Donatien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudasha-donatien.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sudasha Donatien »

Sandeep Moses wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 01:25
Sudasha Donatien wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 20:28 I can't be the only person who really did not like Ron. As the main protagonist, there were many times where his actions and thoughts irked me; he was just too "wishy-washy" for me. Just when he would do something to redeem himself, there he went again to mess it all up. I understand that he did not have a traditional upbringing- but at a certain point, I was literally shouting at him to grow up!
That makes two of us, sister! I didn't like him a bit. His character wasn't ideal for a protagonist role. Maybe he should have been the antagonist in the story!
Thank you, I knew I could not be the only person! Haha. And I get it, not every protagonist is meant to be a hero, and not every character will be likable, but by the end, he was so irredeemable to me.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I can't say that I didn't like him, but there were some aspects of his character that I just couldn't swallow. For example, who would want to sleep in their car although they have a perfectly fine apartment at their disposal?
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I see him as a perfect character. He was genuine and humble. Like he never offended Regina's Physics lecture. He never liked those lectures but did not stop her. Second, he gave his car to his friend for free. What else can be more generous than that. Also, he gave up a financially stable life to help her Mentor. And love life too.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Like every person in life, Ron had his good and bad sides. His good side was that he accepted Louis/Louise for who she was. And when he did not need his car anymore he gave it to her. But then he did not like Regina's lectures he sat through them to get it over with for the money she sponsored for his studies. That would not make him likeable or unlikeable that would make him human.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Haha, I taught I was the only one too. I didn't like him a bit.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

Like every person in life, Ron had his good and bad sides. His good side was that he accepted Louis/Louise for who she was. And when he did not need his car anymore he gave it to her. But then he did not like Regina's lectures he sat through them to get it over with for the money she sponsored for his studies. That would not make him likeable or unlikeable that would make him human.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

:?:
Asja Šabani wrote: 15 May 2022, 12:07 I can't say that I didn't like him, but there were some aspects of his character that I just couldn't swallow. For example, who would want to sleep in their car although they have a perfectly fine apartment at their disposal?
I agree with you having to say it like that. Well I also cannot say I do not like him but some aspects of his character was a bit turn off. But however nobody can be good at everything and not everybody likes what you love. I like to think that his upbringing may be contributing to how he behaved towards other things.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I don't exactly like Ron but I don't hate him either
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Ron's character may not be so appealing but it's not bad
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Okay, you are not alone in this. At some point, I will be like what’s wrong with him, especially with his different sexual relations with different women, except Regina.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I understand your frustration with Ron! I was seeing all these annoying characters of his, but I just chose to be patient with him. I mean, cut the guy some slack. He's not that bad though.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

Moo Reny wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 18:40 I don't exactly like Ron but I don't hate him either
Exactly my point. It's not like he is such a bad character that I can't even help it but hate him. He has his flaws and there are moments I could have just shouted at him. Buy they are not enough for me to hate him.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

Because of his backstory, I believe he is a somewhat perplexing character. He's just trying to make his way through life. I still like him a bit.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”