Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by Njokime »

I find it unattractive when guys go from one relationship to another, in this case i did not like it at all.
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

houligan19 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 21:27 I did not feel that his relationships were too much or detracted from the character. It is pretty normal to have multiple relationships through life, and I thought that the way they added to his character was very interesting. I especially liked Cheryl and the lessons she taught him.
I agree with this. I think Ron learned different things from each relationship. He learned to value nature and look closely at things from Cheryl. He learned the business world from Sheila.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

The multiple relationships didn't bother me. What bothered me (from a writing standpoint) was how quickly Ron just left his wife, it seemed underdeveloped and too convenient. It left me wondering why the author bothered to write about his relationship with his wife at all.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I don't agree with moving from relationship to relationship. I don't think it is healthy for both parties and involved. It is advised that you spend some time alone after every relationship because people tend to lose themselves in relationships.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
I think that when someone runs from one relationship to another they feel that they are very insecure and need the other person to make them complete. I am not sure that the relationships brought out the best in him, but I believe he felt that the relationships made him complete. I also think you only grow when you spend time alone evaluating who you really are and moving from relationship to relationship is unfair to both parties.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
I feel the same way. This was definitely not Ron's best quality. He's quite so..fickle? I'm a huge romantic so this quality of Ron was a total no-no for me, personally.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Jeanninegarfield
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanninegarfield.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jeanninegarfield »

I did not like how many relationships Ron had. It seemed that he did not even care and did not even fight for his wife, Sheila, when she threatened to leave him. He was so in love with her and then one day he wasn't. It seemed like a plot device and unrealistic. It did not make sense to me. Overall, I wanted more character development from Ron instead of him taking on traits from the girls that he dated.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

It didn't bother me how Ron had multiple relationships. I think that they went with his character at that time in the story.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I have no vendetta against Ron being in multiple relationships for the fact it was one at a time. Funnily enough, I will say Ron is a serial monogamist.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

As some who has been in multiple relationships, I don't see this as a problem. However, when it comes to books, having too many characters can be disconcerting; it changes your mood, and processing new information about the new characters will add more work to something you may have approached to enjoy reading.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

houligan19 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 21:27 I did not feel that his relationships were too much or detracted from the character. It is pretty normal to have multiple relationships through life, and I thought that the way they added to his character was very interesting. I especially liked Cheryl and the lessons she taught him.
I loved Cherly, as well. She is amazing. :techie-studyingbrown:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

Personally, I think it made it harder to engage. I would have preferred to focus to just be on one relationship that readers could have got deep into. With the multiple relationships, I found I cared less as I was always wondering if there was going to be another etc. I don't think it detracted from the overall story too much, just the focus was a little distracting.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think its okay to have a couple of relationships. The point is, at what point is it excessive and unhealthy. Lord knows I take long breaks before I ever jump into another relationship. I think the author did not mean for it to be offensive, its just a character build and whether that is influenced by how he perceives people around him or even him, we wouldn't know.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I don't advocate for getting into multiple relationships. However, all the affairs he indulged in made him a better person through learning. Therefore, I think they were appropriate
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

Ron having many relationships somehow did not bother me ,i mean it contributed in building him

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”