What's your favorite quote from Timewise? Why?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

What's your favorite quote from Timewise? Why?

Post by lavkathleen »

I could quote several incredible lines from Timewise, but I remember marking this one because at that time I thought— hey! big mood! :lol:

"As was true on many occasions during my conversations with Regina, I had no response, nothing to say, nothing to ask. I just sat there swimming among the heavens, wondering what I’d gotten myself into."
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

One of my favourite lines in Timewise is:

'If a subject couldn't  be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

I
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

“One of Newton’s best-known laws is ‘For every action, there is an equal reaction’—but that first action is always a reaction to a previous action. The way I describe it is that every action is the result of awareness of a previous action.”

Leet, Robert. Timewise (p. 55). Porter Field Publishing LLC. Kindle Edition.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Valerie Garske »

Melexa wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 19:37 One of my favourite lines in Timewise is:

'If a subject couldn't  be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

I
I liked that one too. It applies in many walks of life!
jhnews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhnews.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by jhnews »

I have two that I can't decide between!
"I've learned that awareness creates time." At the first glance, I was stunned to understand what she meant on the everyday level, but as the book continued, she lost me on the topic. :D
“His smile was like a warm cloak on a cold day.” This filled me with happiness! :)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

The quote above resonated with me the most. It's clear and well put. It requires a deeper understanding of a subject's complexity for you to explain it in its simplest form.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Themysteriouskitten
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themysteriouskitten.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Themysteriouskitten »

My favourite quote was also Regina's favourite quote in the book by great physicist Richard Feynman.

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

As I'm in med school, we are often told by our professors to not just cram up the topics but understand how and why certain things are happening so that we can make our patients understand what exactly is making them feel the way they are feeling and what exactly is harming them and why.
All your scholarship, all your study of Shakespeare and Wordsworth would be vain if at the same time you do not build your character and attain mastery over your thoughts and your actions.
Mahatma Gandhi.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Themysteriouskitten wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 05:36 My favourite quote was also Regina's favourite quote in the book by great physicist Richard Feynman.

As I'm in med school, we are often told by our professors to not just cram up the topics but understand how and why certain things are happening so that we can make our patients understand what exactly is making them feel the way they are feeling and what exactly is harming them and why.
I'd relate your explanation to Robert Leet's efforts to ensure that the physics topic were understood by the majority, if not everyone. It requires a broad knowledge in a specific topic to be able to expound it in totality without appearing lame. I might not have grabbed all the physics arguments, but I was able to relate.
Themysteriouskitten
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themysteriouskitten.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Themysteriouskitten »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 08:35
Themysteriouskitten wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 05:36 My favourite quote was also Regina's favourite quote in the book by great physicist Richard Feynman.

I'd relate your explanation to Robert Leet's efforts to ensure that the physics topic were understood by the majority, if not everyone. It requires a broad knowledge in a specific topic to be able to expound it in totality without appearing lame. I might not have grabbed all the physics arguments, but I was able to relate.
That's exactly how I felt. I know the author tried to ensure that the topics were understood by the majority, and he did succeed up to a point, but in my opinion, he should have tried harder. And of course as far as appearing lame goes we are all lame to someone's eye. Wouldn't you agree?
All your scholarship, all your study of Shakespeare and Wordsworth would be vain if at the same time you do not build your character and attain mastery over your thoughts and your actions.
Mahatma Gandhi.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by JGretz-7 »

One of Cheryl's struck the teacher in me, "If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you'll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don't know, to see what you don't recognize. Then you can begin to learn."
cydnas
Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

I was especially fond of "When I say I found mathematics to be a refuge I may be understating my feelings," mostly because I, myself, am extremely fond of math. Also, math is one of Ron's strengths, but it's nice to know he had emotional attachment to it as well.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

JGretz-7 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 21:17 One of Cheryl's struck the teacher in me, "If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you'll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don't know, to see what you don't recognize. Then you can begin to learn."
That school of thought is applicable to our lives on a daily basis. Part of not knowing is trying something new. It includes going out of your comfort zone just like Ron did. He wasn't sure of attaining the required pass mark that Regina had instructed. But he recognized that it was a new challenge, a chance to realize his potential. Fortunately, he did well.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

cydnas wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 10:11 I was especially fond of "When I say I found mathematics to be a refuge I may be understating my feelings," mostly because I, myself, am extremely fond of math. Also, math is one of Ron's strengths, but it's nice to know he had emotional attachment to it as well.
The attention that mathematics requires is the sole reason that took the hurdles off Ron's back for a moment. When he was busy studying he couldn't think of what was awaiting him outside. He forgot all about the rent, gambling, relationship expectations and money. It was during that time that he also got more confident on what he was capable of doing.
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

This quote by Cheryl struck a chord in me. “If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you’ll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don’t know, to see what you don’t recognize. Then you can begin to learn.”
This taught me that paying attention to details is vital to effective learning.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:45 “One of Newton’s best-known laws is ‘For every action, there is an equal reaction’—but that first action is always a reaction to a previous action. The way I describe it is that every action is the result of awareness of a previous action.”

Leet, Robert. Timewise (p. 55). Porter Field Publishing LLC. Kindle Edition.
I have quoted this so many times in my public speaking. And it was my favorite as it added a new perspective of awareness. Now I can go on telling people that for every action, there's a reaction. Haha it's applicable in real life's situations too.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”