Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
SARE63
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by SARE63 »

Quantum Math is included in most entry level government testing, it has become a way of progression. I found the excerpts on Quantum theories very refreshing, reinforcing the timed events that follow after the discussion of the Professor presents her theory on Space. The story is a fast paced unexpected tragedy, the storyteller loses at every situation, 1) didn't get the Professors point about the Theory, 2) Homelessness 3) Boy can't get girl 4) Runs into a Criminal Intrigue.

The mere fact that he is hiding while traveling underground to reach lab classes, spells H-E-L-P, psych-co-therapy.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 11:44 It depends a lot on the reader's knowledge. I read "hard" science fiction and scientific articles, so it wasn't a problem for me. On the other hand, I understand that for someone with no knowledge of quantum physics the topic might have been too complex.
It's the same story with me. I am definitely not a physic, but I have read a lot of sci-fi and popular books about physics. Therefore, this book was not very difficult for me.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Just like there are nerds who are not into something but they know about it anyway. So are a lot of people who understand about religion but are not religious. Know a lot about physics but they are social workers. Some readers may just go deeper into the story and seek understanding even if the subjects are not within the scope of what they already know. Therefore, although I think general subjects can entice an audience, I believe the science in this story gives it its uniqueness.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

lavkathleen wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 23:55 The scientific aspects of it were surely too complex for me. Majority of it weren't discussed in my high school. I think I have a general grasp of it, though. I think the author was interested in going into the details of it because it's where it all stems. You can't get the bigger picture if you don't have the tiny details.
I agree with you. Sometimes authors have to expand on certain complex or specific topics because otherwise readers would no understand the topic entirely. I would much rather be confused because I am no expert on certain topic that have a book with a scarcity of details.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

No I don't think so. Because I am also well aware of the Quantum physics and its use in the field. So I didn't find it too complex.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

Yeah, they were too complex! I don't even understand most of the physics terms that were used.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

I am familiar with the scientific topics discussed i the book as the author was driving his point, but i believe the explanations and dialogue made it a bit easier for those new to those topics to comprehend the topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

lavkathleen wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 23:55 The scientific aspects of it were surely too complex for me. Majority of it weren't discussed in my high school. I think I have a general grasp of it, though. I think the author was interested in going into the details of it because it's where it all stems. You can't get the bigger picture if you don't have the tiny details.
It is for this reason that I think the pleasure of reading this book is limited to a narrower audience. Narrow terminology and knowledge of physics can influence this.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Well, I studied Engineering so I am familiar with most of the Physics topics, but I think the author did a great explanation on the subject.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

The physics topics were very complex but friendly. I appreciate the authors stile of introducing the topics they were interesting to even new readers.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

Personally, I find Physics to be a very challenging subject. However, I always enjoy books like Timewise because it makes the unbearable topics seem very light and fun to read through.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I think that the topics were needed to be discussed to make the book more real. However, at some places, I do think they were a little more elaborate than needed.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I think the perceived complexity of the content is strongly dependent upon the academic background of each reader individually. That being said, a large majority of the physics topics would likely perplex most people. Readers encounter mentions of diffraction, fractals, the Planck Interval, wave-particle duality, spatial distortion, and rapid-inflation postulates. Even with the included definitions and explanations that were provided, a great quantity of those concepts were tricky to grasp. While they undoubtedly highlighted the author's clear understanding of the field, I'm not convinced their collective presence was absolutely necessary to support the chosen storyline. They were fascinating to read about though!
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I think the author going into a detailed discussion on physics is necessary. No doubt, all readers will not find it equally interesting but we cannot all deny that we learned one or two new concepts from the book.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Gift5 wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 01:59 I am familiar with the scientific topics discussed i the book as the author was driving his point, but i believe the explanations and dialogue made it a bit easier for those new to those topics to comprehend the topics.
As you highlighted in the last portion of your comment, readers do not have to be subject matter experts to enjoy and understand a book. Proper dialogues and explanations should do the trick.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”