Overall rating and opinion of "Timewise" By Robert Leet

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Timewise" By Robert Leet

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the November 2020 Book of the month, Timewise by Robert Leet

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. It's good, but far from perfect. My impression is that the author used speculations based on quantum physics to develop reflections that are more philosophical and existential. I mean, there are discussions between Ron and Regina about the nature of time and its consequences that go beyond science. Towards the end (here's a little spoiler) there's a discussion about what could happen if you go timey-wimey and try to change the future and all that happens then that go well beyond our scientific knowledge. I'd recommend it to people who like this kind of speculations, certainly not to people interested in action-packed stories.
Ciao :)
Massimo
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I gave it a 2 out of 4 rating. I loved the scientific aspects of it, but I wish I understood it more. I think the author could widen his audience by explaining it better, maybe with less technical terms. I'd recommend this to my friends who are knowledgeable about physics. I think they'd appreciate the way the author puts the works of prominent physicists in a new light, and shows the possibilities of time travel.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
maiiii_maii
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiiii-maii.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by maiiii_maii »

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I love how physics is incorporated into the story. However, I think the author should have laid down the scientific aspects of it in a less complex way. Also, Ron having one relationship after the other has also dampened the impact of the story for me. Other than that though, I love the story and I would recommend this to my fellow friends who
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I would rate it a three out of four. I liked the actual plot and characters, but the quantum physics lectures were too far over my head.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I added it to my 3-star shelf. I would have given it a full rating but for Regina's lack of proper background (a major character should have depth). The equations and theories are not a big deal as I thrive on them most times. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to my scholar friends. It'll give them something to chew hahaha...
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

I'll give it a 3 out of 4 stars rating. I wasn't particularly captivated or entertained by the book. In my opinion, this book lacks that thrill that drives me to flip onto the next page in anticipation.

I found quotes that I really like though. I'll recommend it to lovers of quantum physics. I do not recommend it to readers who like entertaining and easy-to-read books.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I don't read a lot of 'hard" science fiction (as opposed to space opera-style science fiction, which I do read!), so I found this book fascinating. I think the author did a great job explaining scientific concepts for a layperson reader. I gave this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. It's not really entertaining and a non science oriented people like us will find it difficult to fully enjoy the Physics aspect of the book.
I love the relationship between Ron and Regina, how she tried to impact on his life.
I would recommend the book to my scientific friends, it is the type of book they'll appreciate.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Keeping it dead simple is key for me. I wish the physics part of the book were simpler to help the read flow seamlessly. So, it gets 3 stars from me. Otherwise, this is a very intriguing read!
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars because of the spelling errors that detract from the quality of the novel. This book is suited for a broader audience, I think it is fiction about science rather than science fiction. I liked how the book describes the challenges original thinkers may experience when they question conventional thinking. Although some of the concepts are complicated, don’t let the science dissuade you from reading this book. I suggest you go with the flow and allow the story to unfold.
~ Valerie
Themysteriouskitten
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themysteriouskitten.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Themysteriouskitten »

I rated it 3 out of four stars as it indeed was a great read with few memorable quotes but it wasn't magnificent which it could have been. My biggest complaint with this book is that it wasn't a page turner. It doesn't grip the reader and make them forget the world around them or transport them to the world where protagonists are battling it out with the antagonists. But it could have done so. It could have been better. And of course the science in it could be explained a little more simply making even the layman understand it in a go.
All your scholarship, all your study of Shakespeare and Wordsworth would be vain if at the same time you do not build your character and attain mastery over your thoughts and your actions.
Mahatma Gandhi.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

I didn't enjoy the book, and am giving it 2 out of 4 stars. All the discussion about quantum physics turned me off. It was much too technical for my enjoyment. The sex scenes and offensive language were also turn-offs for me.
megan433
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan433.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by megan433 »

I really enjoyed the book and gave it a 3 out of 4 stars . Even though a lot of the physics discussions went over my head and I had trouble understanding Regina's monologues at times, I had a lot of fun reading it. I thought that Ron was an honest narrator, often talking about his own flaws, and had a great sense of humor. The other characters, particularly Louise, were well developed and served a purpose to either further the plot or help Ron grow as a charaters.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I rated it 3 stars, as I wasn't really captivated by the story. I appreciate the level of detail Robert Leet put in the book with all the hard science and physics discussions, but it was a bit much for me. I ended up skimming the many lectures. I did think the characters, especially Ron and Regina, were well-developed and the quality of the writing was good. The ending felt somewhat anti-climactic, though.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”