Official Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OllyM
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Midwinter Turns to spring
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ollym.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Re: Official Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by OllyM »

It seems like an interesting book but I don't think it will very much appeal to me.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

The premise seems promising. Glad to know that this book can be read by itself without reading the series. But I feel there are too many characters and I am not sure which one would be the most important. Maybe, all of the characters have equal role to play and I would like to read how. Thanks for a neat review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review! I am curious about Hillary's nightmares and what connection they have to the present. Thanks for this review!
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

A nice mystery read, superb rating for a fantastic author. Not really in my kind of genre, but might check this out later, thanks for this great review.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

This book is quite interesting. I haven't finished it yet, but I can't wait to find out what happened to Bridget and if she will manage to stand in front of the money-driven developer. Also, Hillary's search in her family tree create an intriguing plot. But my favorite character is definitely Claire, Hillary's kid.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

Read the review and sample pages on Amazon. Sounds like a great book and very well written, and although starting out I thought oh wow that's a lot of characters to keep track off, they each connect well. The plot also sounds extremely fascinating.
LilWhis513
Currently Reading: Around the World in 80 Days and Five Weeks in a Balloon
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by LilWhis513 »

Thank you for the thorough and amazing review! Vacation, honeymoon and business mixed in one in this stand alone mystery thriller that gives you a tour of Ireland. This is a great novel of family secrets, new adventures, and memorable and relatable characters. Looking forward to reading it in the future and added it to my "want to read" list.
professor2024
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-professor2024.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by professor2024 »

:eusa-think: June Gillam's mystery series featuring Hillary Broome looks like an interesting read from the review. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the review.
Lui Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Lui Vanderbilt »

A family that unravels past secrets, thanks for the review but this kind of book is not relevant to me, I'll let it pass
Neelam15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelam15.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Neelam15 »

The review makes the book sound interesting. I like the books in series which can be counted as stand alone books. I am no fan of cliffhangers.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I do like this genre, however, the excerpt did not appeal to me. I might have to skip this book. Thanks for the review though!
Rancy_Chepchirchir
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Rancy_Chepchirchir »

Fantastic review! Really makes me want to also take part in Hillary's journey! Thanks!
T-boy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by T-boy »

This novel isn't that unique but it prepares one's mind Especially Hilary in other to handle disappointed situations I do believe that even the secret once it'll be disclosed,it won't be much of a problem to Hilary as anticipated by some viewers because of his experience in previous disappointments.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I don't think it's often that children are greatly involved in mystery novels so it's interesting to see how this plays along. Despite being standalone, I might have to pick up the previous books to get a better feel of the series.
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

In her unique novel, "House of Eire,” June Gillam mixed between many themes, and overtones; that we can see the cultural originality, pleasure, nightmares, and fantasy in the narrative discourse. The narrator of June Gillam novel discover some of interactive aspects in the life of the main character of novel Hillary Broome; that we can see the sign of her mother in her consciousness, and unconsciousness, her complex social relations, and her job as a ghostwriter. The author June Gillam preferred to put the name of Hillary on her title of novel; therefore Hillary was a basic threshold according to Gérard Genette critical perspective in his book Para texts. I think that the life of Hillary, and her relative imagination, relations, trips, and her impressions about America, and Ireland was make a massive cultural, narrative, and artistic context, which give Jane's reader a new aesthetic experience on our civil moment, and its relation with the past, and the old archetypes of the collective unconsciousness according to Northrop Frye, that the discourse of Roger reminded us of the archetypes of ghosts when he talked to Hillary's daughter Claire. In this context also we can see the hidden interactions between the deep layers of Irish characters, culture, and transformations, and the contemporary American lifestyle, and dreams, that the narrative discourse of Jane Gillam confirmed that perspective when referred us to the complex simile relation between current Irish spaces, and events, and some American media, and lifestyle; such as the relations between Irish gangs in memory, and the American TV series, "Sons of Anarchy.” It is a good narrative work.

I read the critical review on June Gillam's novel"House of Eire" by Cecilia_L , that Cecilia_L focused on the family relationships of the main character in the novel, its evolution, and its deep layers and roots in geography, She also discovered the artistic, cultural significations, and the event in the novel.
Dr. Mohammed Sameer Abd Elsalam

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”