Official Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "House of Eire" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ghostwriter, Hillary Broome, is looking forward to a much-needed vacation and belated honeymoon to Ireland with her husband, Ed. As a detective attending the Gang Summit, Ed will be mixing business with pleasure, but Hillary hopes to dig further into her family's Irish roots. Their close friend, Sarah, will be traveling with them, and Hillary is excited to explore the country with her young daughter, Claire. She also plans to reconnect with her friend, Bridget, who lives in Galway. However, Hillary soon learns that Bridget's outspoken protests against a disreputable developer may have put her in harm's way.

In House of Eire: A Hillary Broome Novel by June Gillam, an idyllic vacation is interrupted when dark family secrets begin to surface. In the third book of the series, can Hillary unravel the connection to her family without threatening the safety of those she holds dearest?

Although the book is the third in the series, it does stand on its own. The plot moved at a steady pace; I remained engaged throughout the story. Additionally, I liked the ending--all of the loose ends were wrapped up, though the promise of a sequel was implied.

The author skillfully propels the plot through a cast of well-developed characters. Hillary is a successful ghostwriter who is fiercely devoted to her family and friends. Unresolved issues from her upbringing often haunt her dreams, but despite being plagued by self-doubt, she is determined to be present for her daughter, Claire. Readers will relate to Hillary's tendency to second guess herself. Ed, who affectionately refers to his wife as "Chickadee," is loving, protective, and likable. Sarah fulfills a maternal relationship for Hillary and is also a doting surrogate grandmother to Claire.

I most liked the author's realistic portrayal of Claire. Children's characters are often seen and not heard much, but that wasn't the case with Hillary's daughter. As I read the antics of the little girl who celebrated her 7th birthday over the course of the story, I could envision her twirling about with her doll. The author delicately balanced Claire's childish enthusiasm with age-appropriate behaviors such as whining, tears, and her reluctance to have her long hair cut. The author's careful attention to details regarding traveling to a different country with a child added another layer of authenticity to the relatable scenario.

The book is exceptionally edited, and I found no areas to highlight for improvement. Therefore, I am pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to fans of mysteries related to family secrets. Readers who are interested in Ireland and its history will also enjoy it.

House of Eire
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This seems like a well-written book, although it has quite a handful of characters. The author has done a good job in driving the plot with so much characters. I like that it stands alone. I'll check this one out later. Thanks for the detailed review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think this book is very interesting. I wonder what dark secrets will be revealed and how Hillary will deal with these revelations. Thanks for good review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 18:59 This seems like a well-written book, although it has quite a handful of characters. The author has done a good job in driving the plot with so much characters. I like that it stands alone. I'll check this one out later. Thanks for the detailed review
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 21:04 I think this book is very interesting. I wonder what dark secrets will be revealed and how Hillary will deal with these revelations. Thanks for good review!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like Claire adds another dimension to the novel. So many times, great vacations seem to be interrupted by something or other; though it's not unique, necessarily, it does sound like an interesting plot. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ann KENDI
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ann KENDI »

The use of Claire in the book seems like an effort by the author to break away from all the obvious reasons why vacations end abruptly. This was a good touch.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This seems like an interesting book. It's odd that even though it's the third in a series it can be read as a stand-alone book. Great review, it gave me a great idea of what the book is about.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 08:42 It sounds like Claire adds another dimension to the novel. So many times, great vacations seem to be interrupted by something or other; though it's not unique, necessarily, it does sound like an interesting plot. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Delaney35 wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 10:50 This seems like an interesting book. It's odd that even though it's the third in a series it can be read as a stand-alone book. Great review, it gave me a great idea of what the book is about.
Thank you. I've actually reviewed quite a few series books that can stand on their own. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ann KENDI wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 10:04 The use of Claire in the book seems like an effort by the author to break away from all the obvious reasons why vacations end abruptly. This was a good touch.
Good point. Thanks for your comment.
AnnSR
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnnSR »

Each book in June Gillam's mystery series featuring Hillary Broome draws me more into the world of these characters. Hillary is a complex, conflicted woman, but I think most of us can relate to the issues she struggles with. House of Eire is a fine character study and riveting story.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I like when a book in a series can stand on its own, and the characters and plot sound great, so I'll definitely be reading this book. Great review!
Bishop sun
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Bishop sun »

House of Eire. By June Gilam.
This is a very good novel for young youth and it is also intresting.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I tend to stay away from series because of the continuation; I'm glad you stated that this book is a stand alone. This book sounds like one I want to read; setting in Ireland, family secrets, and, best of all, a mystery to solve. Great review! :techie-studyingbrown:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”