Official Review: The Repentance of a Bad Boy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Repentance of a Bad Boy

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Repentance of a Bad Boy" by Ezeifekwuaba. Tochukwu. Benedict.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Repentance of a Bad Boy by Ezeifekwuaba Tochukwu Benedict seems intended as a morality tale. This is the most generous way to appraise it. It introduces the reader to James, who is known as a “bad guy” who has “many bad qualities” and keeps “bad company.” His bad qualities range from drinking excessively and having casual sex to starting a cult and poisoning his parents. (The reader learns these facts in the first two pages, so I do not consider them to be spoilers.) James funds a lifestyle of luxury and excess through armed robbery. The book recounts his life of crime and its consequences.

It advertises itself as a novel, but at approximately 4,000 words, Repentance can only be considered a short story. There is nothing thrilling or suspenseful about the book because there are never any meaningful stakes. The narrative lists events without creating any tension. As a result, there is no emotional payoff. Technically, there is crime in the story, but the crime is not plausible, nor is the world of the story.

One example of the latter’s improbability is an upstanding wealthy couple who have accrued their money through legal means and who keep over $100,000 in cash in a safe in their young son’s bedroom. We are told they chose to keep the money there because they know their child to be trustworthy and of good character. This does not make any sense.

The summary of Repentance states, “The author wrote this book to point out that many African youths are caught up in get-rich-quick schemes and enter into dubious activities.” This description confuses me, however, as the story appears to be set in the United States. Perhaps Benedict believes this setting will be more appealing to Nigerian youths? Perhaps it lends to Repentance an air of a parable? The U.S. is certainly a cartoon of itself here right down to James’s cultic fried chicken and wine parties.

I also have to wonder if Benedict fails in his mission by making crime look easy and profitable. Not many thieves walk into a home with only a gun and no skills to speak of and walk out with over $100,000 in cash even once, but this is the primary means by which James accrues and maintains his wealth. If one wants to warn people against get-rich-quick schemes, the fact that they rarely ever work seems relevant.

English is not this author’s first language. There are many errors in this book due to incorrect word choice. Even the title has connotations that make it sound more like a tawdry romance than a tale of crime and punishment. There are also a number of spelling and grammatical errors, including misuse of commas. There are several examples of such errors on page one, like “he had been suspended from school at many occasions, as this had caused hypertension to his parents.” The “at” should be changed to “on.” In English, hypertension refers to a medical condition rather than a state of extreme interpersonal tension and so this should be rephrased. “And” would make more sense here than “as.”

I know nothing about author Ezeifekwuaba Tochukwu Benedict’s life. I also know nothing about the current issues facing Nigerian society or Nigeria’s cultural storytelling traditions. I can’t help but wonder if that my ignorance gets in the way of understanding of this text, but it is worth noting that Nigeria has produced many world-class novelists such as Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Clearly, Benedict is trying to do something good here. That is admirable even if I am skeptical about his ability to achieve it. If there is anything to like in Repentance, it may be the bizarrely compelling earnestness with which Benedict relates the story. But that isn’t enough to carry the story.

I can only give The Repentance of a Bad Boy 1 out of 4 stars. This is the lowest rating possible, and there is no argument to be made for a higher rating. It is not what it claims to be. It is not a novel. It is certainly not a thriller. It recounts absurd crime in laugh-out-loud cartoonish circumstances; I find it a stretch to say this qualifies Repentance for a place within the crime genre. The only genre that fits this story is “morality tale,” and I am dubious of how well it succeeds. It was not professionally edited. I do not think there is an audience for this book, at least not in the U.S. The biography of the author states that he has written a church brochure in the past. Perhaps church youth groups outside of the U.S. might find it an interesting discussion piece.

The Repentance of a Bad Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like BelleReadsNietzsche's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Yikes, this sounds like a challenging book to review, but you make some excellent points. Thanks for the honest review.
Elvis93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis93.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Elvis93 »

English not being his first language explains many things. It is not that obvious to master a new language. Nevertheless, i appreciate all the remarks you did in your review. Thanks for this helpful review.
BelleReadsNietzsche

Cecilia_L wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 14:09 Yikes, this sounds like a challenging book to review, but you make some excellent points. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for commenting!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
BelleReadsNietzsche

Elvis93 wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:14 English not being his first language explains many things. It is not that obvious to master a new language. Nevertheless, i appreciate all the remarks you did in your review. Thanks for this helpful review.
It does indeed. For the record: If I were to try to write even a children's book in another language, it would be a mess. (And I took an embarrassing amount of French for that to be the case.) So it feels really mean to "pick on" an author who is having language issues in his writing, because I couldn't write a 4,000-word short story that was as coherent as this was, even taking into account the errors. (Not that you in any way said I was doing that- but that's how it felt to write the review.)I know that language might account to some degree for the lack of sophistication in the story, but for me, that was a far bigger problem.

Anyway, thank you for commenting! I do appreciate it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This just sounds odd, and definitely not up my alley. I don't know anyone who would keep that kind of money in a safe in their child's bedroom. Anyway, I'll pass. Sorry you had to struggle through this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

English is not this author’s first language. There are many errors in this book due to incorrect word choice. Even the title has connotations that make it sound more like a tawdry romance than a tale of crime and punishment. There are also a number of spelling and grammatical errors, including misuse of commas. There are several examples of such errors on page one, like “he had been suspended from school at many occasions, as this had caused hypertension to his parents.” The “at” should be changed to “on.” In English, hypertension refers to a medical condition rather than a state of extreme interpersonal tension and so this should be rephrased. “And” would make more sense here than “as.”

English isn't my first language either, and I know how hard it can be to get things right but if you're going to publish a book the author should've hired a good proofreader and editor. And the language isn't really an excuse for the plot and character flaws.
Your honesty is much appreciated.
BelleReadsNietzsche

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 08:30 This just sounds odd, and definitely not up my alley. I don't know anyone who would keep that kind of money in a safe in their child's bedroom. Anyway, I'll pass. Sorry you had to struggle through this one.
It makes. No. Sense. !!!

Thanks for commenting, though. :)
BelleReadsNietzsche

Lunastella wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 19:42

English isn't my first language either, and I know how hard it can be to get things right but if you're going to publish a book the author should've hired a good proofreader and editor. And the language isn't really an excuse for the plot and character flaws.
Your honesty is much appreciated.
Thanks for weighing in, Luna. I agree. Your thoughtful comments are always appreciated!
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

Right from when I saw the author's name, I knew he was Nigerian. I am Nigerian as well. We are also from the same tribe. I would just like to say that despite English not being our first language, many of us speak and write it fluently, having being taught from elementary school.

I suppose he's of the few who didn't listen in class, lol.

Anyways, from your review, I do not think I would want to read this book. I have seen many of these books published day after day than I care to count.

However, Nigeria has many talented novelists and poets like you have rightly mentioned.

Thanks for your review!
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Very confusing - what the author wanted to put across and what he actually put across. I hope he will invest in a good editor and research some realistic scenarios that would appeal to his intended audience. Congratulations on getting through this one, and for the balanced review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”