Official Review: Animating Principle by Darin Graves

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Animating Principle by Darin Graves

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Animating Principle" by Darin Graves.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Animating Principle, Darin Graves explores the question of whether one can intentionally commit the sin of murder and still go to heaven. When Jim loses the love of his life, he becomes obsessed with avenging her death. If he carries out his plot for revenge, will God forgive him or will Jim jeopardize the possibility of being reunited with his loved one?

Jim grew up with religious parents but became intrigued by evolution during college. He was a successful pharmacist when he met his soulmate, Allicia; Jim's love for her would forever impact how he viewed life. They begin to make plans for the future when someone from Allicia's troubled past returns. Jim is left consumed with anger, grief, and loss. Seeking revenge won't bring Allicia back, but maybe it will bring him peace.

I'll start with what I liked about the book. In the introduction, the author described his Christian upbringing and his education in college; learning about science fascinated him, and he earned a degree in psychology. He goes on to explain his belief that culture, individual environments, and DNA contribute to the make-up of a person. "My book questions whether or not the main character, Jim, can sin against what he believes and still pass into heaven's gates." It's quite an interesting premise for a book, and what I liked most. I also appreciated a heartfelt story the author shared about his mother that shaped his view of life.

Unfortunately, I can't find much else positive to say about the book. According to the synopsis, I expected the story to appeal to readers interested in both evolution and Christianity. However, the concepts weren't clearly presented on either topic. The theme of carrying out retribution becomes repetitious. Setting aside the spiritual ramifications, Jim's habit of praying before he commits each sin is inconsistent with his other actions in the book. I anticipated the possibility of having my beliefs challenged, but I was intrigued by the promised premise of the story. What I did not expect were descriptions depicting cruelty to animals and awkward sexual encounters. The overall story would have been improved by omitting them.

The book was not professionally edited; it was rife with errors. Also, the book didn't have a lot of characters, so it's difficult to conceive why midway through, the author suddenly changed the spelling of Clarence to Clearance. If the different spelling occurred a few times, I would chalk it up to typos, but it was consistent through the latter portion of the book. The same pattern was repeated with Jim's cousin, Andy, who suddenly became Adam. I find name errors particularly frustrating. If the author can't keep his characters' names straight, how can the reader?

For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 1 out of 4 stars. I do believe the book's premise has potential, but I cannot recommend it in its current state.

Animating Principle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

It's sad that instead of the author focusing on what the book promised he starts describing depicting cruelty to animals and awkward sexual encounters. Thanks for a helpful review.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

The premise is truly promising too bad the author did not deliver. I also agree that authors should never confuse with their characters! Its unbelievabke how they can make mistakes with character names.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rose Harebate wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 00:26 It's sad that instead of the author focusing on what the book promised he starts describing depicting cruelty to animals and awkward sexual encounters. Thanks for a helpful review.
Thanks for your comment, Rose.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 01:15 The premise is truly promising too bad the author did not deliver. I also agree that authors should never confuse with their characters! Its unbelievabke how they can make mistakes with character names.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was so hoping this story line would have been well developed. It is an intriguing concept that awakens your curiosity and makes you reflect. Thanks for your insights about this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 10:55 I was so hoping this story line would have been well developed. It is an intriguing concept that awakens your curiosity and makes you reflect. Thanks for your insights about this book.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Elvis93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis93.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Elvis93 »

it is not frequent to see a book being rated one out of four stars. But after reading the review and most essentially the dislikes, I now understand why. thanks for the honest appreciation.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

Whew! I'm definitely not going to read this book then. I feel uncomfortable with the combination of religion and science.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ChydeanmahE95 wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 12:40 Whew! I'm definitely not going to read this book then. I feel uncomfortable with the combination of religion and science.
Thanks for your comment.
Monkeyhammer81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeyhammer81.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Monkeyhammer81 »

I will wait to see if the author decides to use your criticisms to improve the story and readability of the book. Thank you. This was a very helpful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Monkeyhammer81 wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 13:29 I will wait to see if the author decides to use your criticisms to improve the story and readability of the book. Thank you. This was a very helpful review.
Thanks for your comment.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Man! I can almost sense your frustration; I too know what it's like to have such high expectations and excitement, just to be let down. The premise sounds very unique and interesting, so I hope the author takes your comments under advisement and works on the tome, later releasing a revised edition. Thanks for the analysis!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have seen authors switch names before. It's absolutely frustrating. It's too bad that the book doesn't come together. It's not for me; I'll pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

MsTri wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 15:30 Man! I can almost sense your frustration; I too know what it's like to have such high expectations and excitement, just to be let down. The premise sounds very unique and interesting, so I hope the author takes your comments under advisement and works on the tome, later releasing a revised edition. Thanks for the analysis!
Right?! You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”