Official Review: The Criminals by Bruce Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: The Criminals by Bruce Wilson

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Criminals" by Bruce Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Three merciless men repeatedly raped Orion Jackson, the protagonist of the story, when he was in prison. When the curtains of The Criminals open, Bruce Wilson takes the reader through the life of Orion after leaving the correctional facility. Powered by his thirst for revenge, Orion begins his journey to seek revenge on his three assailants (Trip Six, Crisco, and Charlie Rock).

The author spread Orion Jackson’s tale in 85 chapters. In every chapter, he featured a specific event in Orion’s life or that of his close allies and enemies. One of the people who worked closely with Orion to execute the bitter revenge is Corey. Orion had built a lucrative business (The Black Gansta Organization) in the underworld where drugs, guns, and prostitutes afforded him a great fortune. Corey served as the captain of the business. He was also Orion’s best friend. Silk and Noland took care of the drug business while Margo, a lesbian, took care of the prostitute business. Eric, Corey’s brother, ran a legitimate accounting firm that took care of the accounting needs of the Black Gansta Organization and other underworld business organizations. Things took an interesting turn when Eric’s firm stole millions of money from the Mexican Mob, a Mexican organization that led an illegal business that dealt with drugs and guns. Juan Delgado, the leader of the Mexican Mob, sort to take revenge on Eric and his close friends and relatives. Orion and Corey were top in Delgado’s most-wanted list. Could Orion and his team overcome the wave of Delgado’s lethal tactics?

The book is nothing short of an enthralling crime thriller. I got myself carried away by Orion’s story the moment I read the first two pages of the book. Bruce, through his creativity, managed to intertwine his words in a manner that is compelling and easy to understand. His attention to detail left all the scenes and characters fully developed. For instance, fear engulfed Orion when he found out that he had been marked for execution by Juan Delgado. However, as the leader of his organization, he could not let his fear take the better part of him. He had to brace himself up and face the challenge without letting his followers realize that he was shaken by the situation.

Does the title of the book match the story contained therein? The author could have not chosen a better title for the book. It is full of the good, bad, and ugly things that are typical in the underworld. There are several gruesome murders, cases of illegal possession of guns, prostitution, and drug trafficking. Of all the characters of the book, only one of them had a clean record with the law enforcement agencies. I was surprised to learn why many gang members would not mind owning dozens of illegal guns. Corey would tell you that it would be “better to be found alive with illegal weapons than be found legally dead without them.” That was funny but true to their world.

I am still trying to figure out how Bruce Wilson managed to throw in deep Christian messages in a book that covers the dark hole of crime. It is not that I did not like them. It was just amazing that amidst the dark themes of rape, gay/lesbian relationships, gruesome murders, and prostitution the author managed to pass a strong message that seems to be deeply engraved in his heart. That is truly commendable.

Evidently, I enjoyed reading the book. If it were not for the OBC’s rules that restrict me from giving a perfect score to a book that contains more than ten errors, I would have gladly given The Criminals 4 stars. Therefore, I settle for 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who loves reading action-packed crime thrillers. It will not disappoint. I have to warn the reader that the book contains graphic scenes of murder and sex.

The Criminals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm always confused when Christian messages are thrown in a book with graphic scenes of sex. I'm sorry, but, to me, the two do not go together. I would not enjoy the explicit content, so I'm going to skip this one. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I don't normally mind graphic scenes (unless children or animals are involved), but the setting of this one is not for me. I, too, feel saddened when an otherwise amazing book has 10 errors--The End of the Last Great Kingdom (over 300 pages) had its tenth error (by my count) 70% through the book.

Thanks for the review!

*edited to change $ to %
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like an action-packed book. I am curious about how the author was able to include Christian messages in such a dark plot.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of Orion's life and struggles. The strong themes do not interest me. I appreciate your excellent work on this review. Thanks.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds interesting, however I don't care for books that focus on the underworld, so I'll be passing on this one. Thanks for the review!
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 08:54 I'm always confused when Christian messages are thrown in a book with graphic scenes of sex. I'm sorry, but, to me, the two do not go together. I would not enjoy the explicit content, so I'm going to skip this one. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, though.
It also left me a bit confused too.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 22:49 Sounds interesting, however I don't care for books that focus on the underworld, so I'll be passing on this one. Thanks for the review!
The underworld always gets darker and messy. This ain't an exception. You are much welcome
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

kdstrack wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 19:39 I enjoyed your description of Orion's life and struggles. The strong themes do not interest me. I appreciate your excellent work on this review. Thanks.
Thank you :D
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Jessacardinal wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 18:13 This sounds like an action-packed book. I am curious about how the author was able to include Christian messages in such a dark plot.
It sure is full of action. About the Christian messages, I wasn't able to figure it out myself. Good luck with that just in case you decide to read this one :wink:
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Vscholz wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 14:05 I don't normally mind graphic scenes (unless children or animals are involved), but the setting of this one is not for me. I, too, feel saddened when an otherwise amazing book has 10 errors--The End of the Last Great Kingdom (over 300 pages) had its tenth error (by my count) 70% through the book.

Thanks for the review!

*edited to change $ to %
Thanks for the comment
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Seems like this one transports the readers straight to a cutthraot world, where life is at stake at every moment. I like crime thrillers, so this is a book I am going to add to my TBR list. Thanks for the awesome review.
cap5
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cap5 »

it"s the best book to be interested to read as the authors shows clearly how effects of drug abuse can lead to social disorder our community.For sure each individual who wants to read this and who have read the book both will come to the pint to be far away from crimes hence lead to the sharpening of our society n the better terms.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

It is very seldom that Christian message is knitted in a crime thriller, I think this is truly amazing and interesting too bad this book has a lot of grammatical errors.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This sounds too dark and intense even for me. I’m glad you enjoyed it though. Very interesting that the author was able to incoporate Christian themes to such a dark tale! Thanks for the review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”