Official Review: Blue Valentine by Thomas Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Blue Valentine by Thomas Cummings

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blue Valentine" by Thomas Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nicki Valentine is a young girl living in a poorer neighborhood. She looks tough, acts tough, and knows how to take care of herself in dire situations. After all, she had had to look after herself all her life. Her father, a drunk, could not care for her, and her mother was physically present without ever giving her as much as a loving embrace.

Under Nicki’s tough exterior lurks a wounded and fragile young woman who is still haunted by some terrible things that happened when she was 14. Thankfully, Quinn Halliday, her best friend and also her half-brother is there for her every step of the way, watching over her and keeping her safe. Their bond is strong and unbreakable. It has been so from the very first time the two met many years ago when they first discovered they were family. When Nicki’s past comes knocking on the door, she knows that asking Quinn for help is the only thing she can do if she wants to walk away unscathed from what awaits her in the shadows.

At 230 pages, the book is relatively short, and it makes for a fun afternoon reading. I love noir thrillers, and Blue Valentine by Thomas Cummings is a perfect example of the genre. It has all: the vibrant main characters, the high stakes for Nicki, and a fast-paced plot that doesn’t let you go until you finish the surprising last page. The author not only gives striking descriptions of places Nicki has visited over the years (like the river with the granite boulder she once danced on so selflessly), but he also paints the characters – especially Nicki and Quinn – with a fine-brush stroke. By the end of the book, you feel as if you’ve known these two siblings all your life.

The story, told from Nicki’s first-person perspective, seemed all too real. It felt as if I were sitting across Nicki who was sharing her life story directly with me, with no apologies or excuses. She would say, “Oh, and by the way, in case you’re wondering, no, I’m not sitting over here at Subway in my whites … Just don’t want you getting the wrong picture in your heads.” I enjoyed this refreshing tête-à-tête style of writing.

The narrative would often switch between present and past events, allowing the reader to understand more about Nicki and learn why she became the person she is now: so independent, so free in her sexual escapades, and so potty mouthed in her conversations.

I found the novel suspenseful from start to finish. The main threads opening the first few chapters were neatly tied together at the end of the story. Once you’ve finished reading the book and got over your initial surprise, you couldn’t help but think, “This is the only way it could have ended. It’s perfect.”

Thomas Cummings uses a crisp and authentic voice to weave his tale, and, before you know it, you are drawn into a world that seems very dangerous but all too real. Just like the heroine of this book, our world is full of victims of abuse who struggle with their demons while trying to live a life they can call their own.

Despite finding the story engaging, I have to give Blue Valentine 3 out of 4 stars because of the numerous grammatical and punctuation errors, such as misspelled words (“Ghostly Visitaions”), contractions instead of possession (“It’s picture”), and double words (“Here’s the the thing”). A round of proofreading should easily fix these issues.

Lovers of noir crime, mystery, and action-packed psychological thrillers will have a blast reading the book. I do need to insert a note of caution here. The book has swear words and unusual graphic scenes that might push sensitive readers away, especially those who like to keep clear of stories that cause emotional aversion to social taboos.

Blue Valentine
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The plot seems interesting enough, but I don't think the writing style and the heroine's character are my cup of tea. Thank you for this review, though.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Interesting one. I'm really curious about the mystery now due to your review. I don't mind graphic scenes and strong language and I love the way this book is written because it's easier for me to understand the protagonist. Thank you for your review I might give it a go thanks to you.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Your description regarding the shockingly perfect ending intrigues me to read the book. Thank you for the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It so often happens that the tough exterior is just a facade to cover up the pain inside. I really like your description of the suspense and how the author draws the reader in to the story. Great review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Now I am curious about this book. The perfect ending, the social taboo, and the ghostly visitaions (there is no butler to blame) did it! I hope Nicki doesn't end up blue.

Thanks for this very intriguing review.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thanks for posting such a thorough review! This one sounds like a book I would enjoy. Too bad about the poor editing. I find that distracting, but I think I will give this book a try anyway. Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Thanks for this amazing review, reading this book i feel like will give me a first hand experience on Nicki's life. It might be sad at first but i am hoping it will be a happy ending for her.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely sounds like Nicki has had a tough life. I'd be curious to see how her life continues. However, I don't think I'd enjoy the graphic nature or the social taboos. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This read certainly sounds intriguing. My heart goes to Nicki, so often our childhood scars us and we have to put on a hard shell to cruise through life. I will give this one a try. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds exactly like my cup of tea! I love that this is a well-constructed book; I'm definitely placing this on my to-read list. Thanks for the review!
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I am intrigued by the bond between te siblings. I think this is very interesting too there many grammatical errors.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Sounds like great character work for a relatively short noir read! I particularly love that. Thanks for this great review; it's definitely made the book appealing to me!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like the kind of book I love with fully developed characters and suspenseful. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I like the independence of Nicki and the fact that she's so potty mouthed. The tête-à-tête style of writing also appeals to me. From the summary, I can't really imagine what's so suspenseful about the story, but the review has sufficiently aroused my interest to find out. Thanks for a great job.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”