Official Review: Sex, Murder, Betrayal by Frederick Bruce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Sex, Murder, Betrayal by Frederick Bruce

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sex, Murder, Betrayal" by Frederick Bruce.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sex, Murder, Betrayal by Frederick Bruce centers around David Wilson. David is a self-starter who built his business consulting company on a strong foundation of training, networking, and good old-fashioned hitting the pavement. He fostered amiable working relationships with many business owners and word traveled about his expertise. One fateful day, he cold-called on the office of Premier Equipment and met the owner and, more importantly, the owner’s much younger wife, Carole Benson.

David and Carole quickly find themselves in a relationship that has nothing to do with ledgers and accounts receivable. As David finds himself obsessing over Carole, her husband is found murdered in his office while Carole is out of town. All fingers are pointing to David as the murderer and he must work to prove his innocence to the detectives on the case.

Frederick Bruce weaves a tale that keeps you guessing throughout his short novel. The first chapter is Carole’s call to the police that leads to the discovery of her dead husband, so the reader is constantly anticipating the murder as the book jumps back in time prior to the crime. Bruce brings the reader along as the detectives investigate, a court case is built, and a verdict is handed down. The lack of predictability keeps the book interesting. While affairs and murder are the cornerstones of this novel, there is no gory or sexually explicit content.

Bruce’s writing style reads like the beginning of Dragnet; everything plainly stated, yet served with an overabundance of detail. The opening of David’s business, his living situation, and his dealings with other businesses that have no real bearing on the storyline are all presented in boringly, repetitive detail. I never felt connected to the characters or really invested in their story. The dialogue was perfunctory and not terribly compelling. It is obvious that the novel was not professionally edited. I found grammar, punctuation, or formatting errors on approximately half of the pages in the 165-page book. There were also inconstancies regarding tense and time frames. At one point, Carolyn starts being used instead of Carole as the story is told from the point of view of the detectives working the case. Unfortunately, the author slips up and starts using Carole interchangeably, ruining the effect of the detectives using her formal name.

As I read this book in its entirety during a three-hour flight, I found myself disturbing my seatmates as I would subconsciously begin shaking my head at errors and problems I found in the novel. As this was a reimbursed paperback purchase, I found myself quite disappointed that a book with so many glaring issues is being offered on the market. A rating of 2 out of 4 stars is more than generous for this novel. The only thing keeping me from rating it lower is that the story was somewhat compelling and kept me guessing until the end. If you prefer your mysteries dry and quick, you might enjoy this book.

Sex, Murder, Betrayal
View: on Bookshelves

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The book seems to have the "Fatal Attraction" vibe, and indeed it has a very compelling premise. Too bad the author could not follow through and there are too many mistakes to enjoy the novel properly. Thank you for the detailed review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Rubygold
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rubygold »

The title was so cool...But the errors are pretty bad..I hate dry books because they are indeed boring...Tankz for the review anyways
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors. That really can bring a book down. Otherwise, the novel sounds compelling. I love a good mystery, but it won't be this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Wow. I started to select this to review, but now I'm sooo glad that I didn't, though I'm also sorry that you had to suffer through the negatives. Thanks for the warning!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It seems like the author and editor could do much to improve the book. I'll probably be giving this a miss, but thank you for the review!
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I was very excited clicking on this review despite your rating, but now that I've read your review I doubt I'll be picking this one up. I can't stand terrible editing or interchanging names. I like murder mysteries, but I think I'll have to pass on this one. Thanks for sticking it out and reviewing for us!
Drow18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drow18.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Drow18 »

The title sounds superb, however pointing on all those errors blows me away from the book.thnks for detailed review though!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

The plot sounds intelligent, a shame that the book doesn't deliver. I can feel your frustration!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The premise of this story is very intriguing. But the flaws you mentioned above made me think over whether to choose or skip this book. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Christinabooklover »

I hate it when there is a good story but not expertly edited. The way you presented the characters and the plot is very thorough. It was very original and detailed. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”