Official Review: Shelly's Homecoming

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Shelly's Homecoming

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shelly's Homecoming" by Angela Jenean Alston.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shelly's Homecoming is a crime novel by Angela Jenean Alston. Ten years ago, Shelly Foreman's mother died, and her father disappeared from her life. Now she has tracked him down with help from Private Investigator Rubin Mills. As she and her father attempt to repair their strained relationship, Shelly's friend Jean tells her of a haunted store located across the road from Shelly's own fashionable boutique. Here, a woman named Marie Montclair was allegedly once beheaded by her husband-to-be in a room full of dinner guests...

This book has occasional neat character description: "The private eye, Rubin Mills, was dried out like an old prune, tall and thin, with a Southern accent." There was also one particularly striking and beautiful descriptive sentence early in the book: "She saw naked shrubs and bare pine trees swaying in the wind and silhouettes of gray branches sketched up against the rising sun." The plot is fairly intricate, and Alston describes interior rooms and furnishings nicely, along with mouth-watering meals of restaurant-grade food. The cover of the book also impressed me, which was partly why I chose to read it. Unfortunately, these are the only positives I could find in Shelly's Homecoming.

This book badly needs editing. There are plenty of overlong sentences, such as: "Then she opened her car door with a click and slammed the door back hard to make sure that it closed and then made her way up the narrow cement path to her shop." The error count for the book is very high, too, especially for minor punctuation errors. I found ten errors by 6% of the way through the book. A new person speaking often does not start a new paragraph, which is confusing at times. Incorrect words and phrases are also used, such as "stepped foot in" for "set foot in" and "whole in the wall" for "hole-in-the-wall". There are changes of tense from past to present and back again, and at one point, the book switches briefly from the third person to first person narrative and back with no warning and no quotation marks.

Aside from the editing, there are issues with the writing itself. Unusual slang appears during regular descriptive prose, which I found jarring. For example: "...where his rinky-dink offices were located..." and "...he made a jokey-joke..." and "...they skedaddled upstairs..." This might be fitting if written by a viewpoint character who spoke like that, but not from an omniscient narrator. It just didn't feel like professional writing to me.

Some of the dialogue is unrealistic; occasionally, it is nonsensical. "There is a problematical puzzle in front of us and we need to solve it fast and in a hurry," Shelly's father Shelton says at one point. Aside from this sentence being repetitive, how many people would use the words "problematical puzzle" in regular speech? I don't know anyone who talks like that. Similarly, a Physician's Assistant who has just stitched up Shelly's boyfriend Sean says: "This is going to sting for many days, but you are hardcore." I can't envision any nurse telling a patient they are "hardcore". Finally: "I am breaking as a bicycle spoke and they are aware of this fact." Even in context, I had no idea exactly what this sentence was trying to convey.

Other inconsistencies throughout the narrative include people "hollering" or "screaming" at each other during a clandestine (and illegal) visit to Shelly's shop during the early hours of the morning. At another point, Shelly tells her father to "get back to your sexy dream!" about an erotic dream he woke from while sleeping on her couch. This is not the sort of thing I think a daughter would say to her father - or even want to know about, for that matter! Shelly's father Shelton also seems overly excited about the mine under her shop: "We are sitting on top of an active mine and are going to be filthy rich," when he is already worth over six million dollars. There were plenty of other examples of inconsistent character behaviour, or characters changing their minds or moods instantly without enough motivation.

I wrestled with my rating for Shelly's Homecoming all the way through, but given its myriad deficiencies, I cannot rate it higher than 1 out of 4 stars. It needs both a solid edit and a comprehensive rewrite to fix the inconsistencies I mentioned. With its issues fixed, I would recommend it to readers of crime, but since I struggled to finish it, in its current state, I cannot recommend it to anyone.

Shelly's Homecoming
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Robert Fred
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-fred.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Robert Fred »

WOW! It was crazy just reading the review with all the bad editing the book had in it. I wonder if you had the option of 0 out of 4 stars would you take it? Nevertheless, this is one book i´ll take a pass on .
Thank you for the honest review. :tiphat:
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Thank you for writing an honest review. I also tend to lose interest when a book has too many grammatical errors, or too many inconsistent forms of speech. Hopefully the author will take your advice and hire a professional editor next time they try to publish something. Hopefully they will also pay closer attention to the language of the narration and the characters.
:character-ariel:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is the first review I have read that recommends that nobody read the book - very honest and I appreciate that as I hate being let down by an overly kind blurb. I'm impressed that you made it to the end- great review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Quite saddening that the authors effort turned out to be less fruitful. Anyway the idea is great and the plot is wonderful therefore i think something could still be done to make this book great. Thank you for this honest review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There seem to be quite a few inconsistencies throughout the novel. In addition, I think the weird turn of phrase would get on my nerves. It sounds like this could all be fixed by a really good editor. Until then, I'll have to pass. Thanks for pouring over this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Thanks for the warning on this one. I was digging it in the first 2 paragraphs, but then everything that bothered you would bother me. I completely jumped ship at the "sexy dream" reference. I totally agree with your rating and will be avoiding this read. Great, entertaining review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I guess the lesson learned here is never judge a book by its cover? :lol2: (I've been guilty of that too though but I don't think I've ended up with as bad an experience as yours)
Even though the premise find sound interesting, there are just too many issues that detract from it so I can understand your rating.

Either way, thank you for the review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Robert Fred wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 17:58 WOW! It was crazy just reading the review with all the bad editing the book had in it. I wonder if you had the option of 0 out of 4 stars would you take it? Nevertheless, this is one book i´ll take a pass on .
Thank you for the honest review. :tiphat:
Yeah, unfortunately I had to leave out a number of further examples of substandard writing. The review could have been even longer than it was! Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Alicia09 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 19:09 Thank you for writing an honest review. I also tend to lose interest when a book has too many grammatical errors, or too many inconsistent forms of speech. Hopefully the author will take your advice and hire a professional editor next time they try to publish something. Hopefully they will also pay closer attention to the language of the narration and the characters.
A professional editor would definitely help a lot. The story itself isn't too bad, but unfortunately the writing is. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 19:51 This is the first review I have read that recommends that nobody read the book - very honest and I appreciate that as I hate being let down by an overly kind blurb. I'm impressed that you made it to the end- great review.
I almost didn't make it to the end, but by that point I'd made so many notes that it seemed a shame to waste them!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

fredrick otieno wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 02:47 Quite saddening that the authors effort turned out to be less fruitful. Anyway the idea is great and the plot is wonderful therefore i think something could still be done to make this book great. Thank you for this honest review.
Absolutely. The story itself was fairly decent. A good editor could really clean it up well.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 07:52 There seem to be quite a few inconsistencies throughout the novel. In addition, I think the weird turn of phrase would get on my nerves. It sounds like this could all be fixed by a really good editor. Until then, I'll have to pass. Thanks for pouring over this one.
I definitely found the weird phrases... difficult. I did almost give up at one point, but I was over halfway through by then. Thanks for commenting!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

SamSim wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 08:42 Thanks for the warning on this one. I was digging it in the first 2 paragraphs, but then everything that bothered you would bother me. I completely jumped ship at the "sexy dream" reference. I totally agree with your rating and will be avoiding this read. Great, entertaining review, though!
Yeah, a few bizarre ideas and unclear character motivations in this one for sure. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Sahar Majid wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 06:30 I guess the lesson learned here is never judge a book by its cover? :lol2: (I've been guilty of that too though but I don't think I've ended up with as bad an experience as yours)
Even though the premise find sound interesting, there are just too many issues that detract from it so I can understand your rating.

Either way, thank you for the review!
You're absolutely right. A good cover often hides a multitude of sins. Better to employ a good editor to eliminate them instead.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”