Official Review: The Antiquities Hunter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: The Antiquities Hunter

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Antiquities Hunter" by Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Private Eye Gina Miyoko, with a stature of just over 5 feet tall, may not be the most obvious choice for bodyguard despite her blackbelt in karate. Yet this happens to be the role into which she falls as the lead character in Maya Bohnhoff’s The Antiquities Hunter, when it becomes apparent that her best friend Rose is being shadowed by a mysterious person (or group) due to Rose’s role as an undercover agent for the National Park Service. Though unsure why she is being pursued, Rose and Gina determine it is likely to be related to the investigations Rose has been conducting into certain stolen artifacts from old-world archeological sites.

They confront one of Rose’s stalkers, a man named Cruz Veras, who claims at first to be a journalist from Mexico researching antiquities stolen from Mexican digs. They are skeptical, yet quickly determine that Rose is still being followed, and this time by a much more aggressive individual who appears to be attempting to intimidate Rose away from her investigations. Gina also discovers that Cruz is more than just a journalist – that in fact he was sent by the Mexican government to recover stolen artifacts, and appears to have a number of eclectic (yet oddly useful) skills. Despite his initial deception, which only heightens Gina’s distrust of him (exacerbated by memories of betrayal from other men in her past), Gina reluctantly teams up with Cruz to help keep Rose safe and get to the bottom of the situation. With each passing moment the stakes go up, and when Rose is sent to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, it is up to Gina and Cruz to solve the mystery.

The pair establishes contact with a private art and artifact collector named Revez and goes undercover with the goal of finding out whether he is involved in the clandestine dealings that threaten Rose’s life. As they uncover the truth layer by layer, they are placed in increasingly precarious situations and must rely on each other and their own quick thinking to prevent discovery and avoid capture or possibly even death.

Like a modern-day Indiana Jones story (with a female lead), this is an exciting and action-packed adventure that takes the reader from the streets of the San Francisco Bay Area to the dense and moist jungles of Mexico. Gina (nicknamed “Tink” by her friends, for reasons explained in the book) is a strong and smart character, who is not afraid to defy stereotypes and perceptions of her abilities, nor to put herself front and center in risky situations. She has an intriguing back-story; a failed engagement to a deranged ex-cop has resulted in a generalized distrust of men and a lack of desire for further romance. I had wished that the author would go deeper into this backstory, as it was so vital to the character development that Gina undergoes throughout this novel. However, it seems that this will be a recurring character in a series, so perhaps the author is saving the larger details of Gina’s past for later books. Despite the too-brief glance at her history, Gina was nonetheless a vibrant and interesting lead.

This story moved quickly from one plot point to the next, and each chapter was packed with excitement and action. The dialogue was clever and snappy, which would have worked well in a film, but at times came off a bit silly in text form. Certain words seemed out of place – for example, Gina referred to her abdomen as her “tummy” at one point which seemed oddly immature given her general desire to be taken seriously. There were a couple of other instances where her witty response to something said by Cruz came off as a bit ridiculous. The rest of the writing itself was clean and thoroughly edited; I only found one very minor typographical error in the entire book.

Because I personally would have preferred a bit more depth, and a chance to get to know each of the side characters (like Rose and Cruz) a bit better, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. Other readers who enjoy a quick and to-the-point adventure may feel differently. The overall content is generally mild, and even the violent scenes are handled tastefully. There are some references to Russian Orthodox and Japanese cultures (Gina’s parents come from these backgrounds), which I found amusing, though not specifically crucial to the plotline. Overall, this is a fun and relatively light read, and would translate quite well into screenplay format. I look forward to seeing other books featuring these characters.

The Antiquities Hunter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Witty comments coming off as ridiculous can detract from the reading experience. I am not going to pick up this one. Thanks for the review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It brings to mind a Lara Croft type story and might be quite entertaining to read. Many thanks for your views.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

This sounds pretty interesting. I wish there was more focus on the side characters as that makes me more involved with the relationship between characters. Although the plot may be good, I prefer character driven stories. I'm a bit on the fence about this book but thank you for the review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like action-packed adventure stories, and this one sounds like it fits the bill! It sounds exciting with the mysterious aspects and the search for ancient artifacts. I'll be adding it to my shelves. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I kind of like books that are a quick read like this sometimes. I also enjoy the fact that the lead is only 5' tall as that's my height. :) I'm tough, too, so I can imagine her kicking butt!! I'll have to put this one on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I usually enjoy a quick read that is interesting so I may have to look into this one. I like that the protagonist is a strong female lead, so that is also a plus. Thanks for the review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The witty yet ridiculous dialogue will be distracting, but I love adventures so I would still give this a try. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This sounds like the book to keep for a rainy Sunday afternoon, when a bit of adventure, action and excitement seems exactly what is needed to escape the drearies! I enjoyed the review and I think I would also enjoy the book. Thank you!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Will really love to read how this story will pan out. Thanks for the lovely review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like the sound of a modern-day Indiana Jones story (with a female lead)! It sounds like a fun and adventuresome read!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
debarice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by debarice »

Thanks for the review. The book sounds quite intriguing. I love that the main character in the book is female, short and a black-belt. As I tend to take on the persona of the main character in the book I am reading it makes it easier to immerse myself in the book. Thanks again!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

this book is a must-read for curious readers.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

Thanks for your review. I was intrigued by the title and your review helped me decide to put it on my reading list.

Archaeology was my first and unattained career interest so books like this catch my interest. I can overlook some silly comments or weird phrasing.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a story I'd like, so I'll read this, despite the sometimes ridiculous phrasing. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”