Official Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betrayal in Blue" by Mark M. Bello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betrayal in Blue is a fictional thriller written by Mark M. Bello. It begins by introducing us to the Dearborn Police Department (PD) that has just managed to retrieve a piece of information on the dark web about the possible plotting of a terror mission directed at Dearborn, its cops, and Muslims. This is their first clue as to the existence of a revenge plot for the murder of another terrorist. This is the clue that will get the cops of the PD on their feet―one in particular― and take them on a serious ride of action and adventure.

Jack Dylan is a veteran of the Dearborn PD, and his team’s key members include Andy Toller―forensic criminologist, Noah Thompson―cybercrime expert, and Shaheed Ali―Muslim affairs expert. The team is more like a friendship forged over many years. They work together like a big family and have each other’s back through thick and thin. And when it’s a Sarin gas attack on the books? That just gets them working on the double.

Jonathan Stone is no stranger to witnessing suffering. He knows that being exposed to Sarin gas is a terrible way to die. Though he belongs to a terror gang, he believes a line is to be drawn somewhere and using Sarin crosses that line. In contrast, Bart Breitner―the gang’s head, believes that if a “few” civilians have to lose their lives for his cause, it isn’t that big a deal. All it takes is a conscientious Stone to reveal Breitner’s plans to Jack in return for immunity. What ensues is an unexpected murder trial and mystery that hits us out of the blue and makes sure it leaves an impression.

Since I hadn’t read the last two instalments in the series, it took me a while to get into this story. For the first few chapters, you are introduced to a number of different characters who seem to have mostly been part of the previous books in the series. The first few chapters also outline the involvement of the FBI in the investigation and the love-hate relationship that the Dearborn PD develops with them, which plays deep into story. A few chapters later, a “murder” happens and that’s when the story begins.

The story takes place in a time where racism is still quite alive and violence and attacks against minorities are a prominent feature of the society. There is also a lot of legal drama in the story, which―to me―was the highlight of the book. The author’s (who’s also a Michigan attorney―no surprise there) grasp on legal trials and the fine nuances of criminal investigations shines through the entire book. Zachary Blake―the attorney who is the main character the book revolves around―is THE person you want on your side whenever you are in any kind of legal trouble. The author uses his experience to write about the finer aspects of his characters, show the equation between police departments and the FBI, and brings to light the kind of work that goes into providing immunity and protection to key witnesses.

I cannot claim much knowledge about police departments, legal cases, or anything related to them; however, I still thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. The book was well-written and the storyline was interesting, and kept me reading till the end. I am rating this book a full 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to those readers who are interested in legal thrillers, especially those that deal with the very real issue of white supremacy existent today.

Betrayal in Blue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the story was well-researched and quite realistic. It also sounds like it was able to keep your attention which I always appreciate in a fiction story. I still don't really want to start in the middle of a series, so I'd have to look at the first book before this one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your review and think I would also enjoy this book. It sounds believable and suspenseful. Great review!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I've been wanting to read the previous installments in this series as I love legal thrillers. I'm so glad to see the author maintains his momentum in this third book in the Blake series. Wonderful review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds like something I would read. Might take me a while to get into it, but I would give it a try. Great review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Great review and i enjoyed reading it. Will sure have a go at this book. Thanks for a lovely review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 07:20 It sounds like the story was well-researched and quite realistic. It also sounds like it was able to keep your attention which I always appreciate in a fiction story. I still don't really want to start in the middle of a series, so I'd have to look at the first book before this one. Thanks for the review.
That's a good point you raise. I see that the previous books in the series are must-reads too. So, maybe I would do the same next.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 14:42 I enjoyed your review and think I would also enjoy this book. It sounds believable and suspenseful. Great review!
It is truly enjoyable. I am sure you would like it too.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I have really enjoyed reading your review. The legal thrill, wit, action, adventure and satin had (whatever it is!), makes the book so appealing. It's unfortunate I have to hunt down the prequels in order to have a smooth transition into this book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

It's disgruntling to hear I have to read the prequels before reading this book because you make it sound so interesting! And sarin is a fictional gas? That's an interesting concept. Loved reading your review.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

This sounds like an awesome thriller! Thanks for your review :)
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm surprised white supremacy still exists. Since I'm a thriller lover, I will read the book to learn more. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a well-paced episode of Law and Order. I loved that show.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 20:51 I've been wanting to read the previous installments in this series as I love legal thrillers. I'm so glad to see the author maintains his momentum in this third book in the Blake series. Wonderful review.
I am glad you liked the review. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like an interesting story and some strong characters. I think I would read the first two books before I jump into this one as I'm guessing some background wouldn't hurt. It is good to know this book can stand on it's own and keeps the pages turning as that bodes well for the earlier books. Thank you for the thorough review and honest opinion!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”