Official Review: Altered Reality by Joel Knox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Altered Reality by Joel Knox

Post by revna01 »

I'm not a fan of the superhero type movies, but the Dr. Jekyl, Mr. Hyde angle is interesting. Gore is not something I enjoy reading about, but it's nice to know that the author took time to develop the characters and create something fascinating and genre-appropriate. Great review.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

You have a unique writing style. I like the way you talk about engaging and interacting with the characters you read about. I understand that feeling. I did not like what I read of this book so far. I didn't find it particularly intriguing;1. because there was a grammatical error on the first page! 2. and more importantly, it just seemed like the author was too forthcoming with the foreshadowing details. Hyde being his name...As an English Lit major my mind immediately put that and the title together to predict that was how the story was going to go. That was just from the title and first page. I don't think I'm all that smart, I just know that usually I can't predict things accurately from the first page. So, that kind of turned me off of reading further.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

The Alters seem to be quite interesting. I wonder what type of power they posses and what will become of everyone in this story..especially Samuel and the Alters
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This is a great review. It makes this book sound like a must-read. In my opinion, all of the movies that are blockbuster hits that began as books are much better to read than to watch. I will definitly be adding this one to my want to read list.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Lini
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lini »

I enjoyed the quick pace and the suspenseful build-up to the Alter. The parallels and contrast between the easy violence of the Alter and the opposing temple altars was intriguing. The 360 degree change in pace and mood between chapters, from the intensity in action to an exploration of the psyche with a hint of conflicting gender relations was well structured. An enjoyable read.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

A paranormal action novel with allusions to the classics AND comic books? Wow, it sounds almost too good to be true! In fact, this book comes across as very busy with lots of different ideas and themes. At least I can tell it won't be boring. Thanks for the in-depth review, I think I'll give this one a try!
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I love that there are plenty of twists in this story. Also love the small connections pieced together. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

The title alone intrigued mr. But having read your review I an definitely going reading this book next! I can't wait to dive into a book that is fast paced and has creative imagination! I love feeling as though I am in the story and it seems as though this will happen! Thank you!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

This is a very detailed review! The author did a good job of creating a fictional world and creating these powerful characters. My only hesitation is the storyline of; "kid has great powers, and needs help controlling them, but doesn't think so until proved wrong" Its a very tired storyline. Hopefully, the author was able to capture it in a new sort of way. If so, it sounds like a fun read!
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Great job on review, definitely makes me want to give this a try. I dont think I have ever read a book like this, though of love movies like this. To hear it compared to the Avengers, and X-Men, incredible Hulk, I can tell it will be fast paced and full action. It sounds like author took time to develop characters and this is well written. Congratulations on BOTD.
Olije joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Olije joy »

This review is definitely great, though the cover is a bit scary But you did a wonderful job and it will make a great movie
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

A novel belonging to the paranormal genre with similarities to the classics and focusing on themes of self-sacrifice and greed. The powers possessed by the characters make the whole story line more engaging.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Thank you for the detailed review! I read a few sample pages and my interest is piqued. My family loves any and all superhero/villains. The gore doesn’t bother me so I feel I will enjoy this book. I love to escape in a good crime/altered reality book. The elements of Urban Fantasy very much appeal to me. I’m excited to continue this book and read the other book in the series.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I love gore and I like dark fantasy novels. Since this book is a combination of the two, I think it's one I'll enjoy!
read+er
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read-er.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by read+er »

I do like the supernatural aspect of it. I want to find out how the story ends. The reviewer did a good job.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”