Official Review: Evil Entombed by Edwina groat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: Evil Entombed by Edwina groat

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evil Entombed" by Edwina groat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like many horror stories, Evil Entombed by Edwina Groat begins with a young couple who have just bought a house. Zoe and Garth think that they have found their perfect dream home in Long Island, but they have no idea what they’re in for. Soon weird things start to happen like snakes and spiders appearing out of nowhere, sudden feelings of coldness, a black ooze throughout the house. However, the strangest thing of all is the appearance of a wolf who seems to be guarding them against something evil.

Evil Entombed
is a pretty short book, but one that uses its time well. It establishes an atmosphere of fear and unknowing. Just as Zoe and Garth begin to think that they have put all their problems behind them something new comes up that makes them question their sanity. You can see how their sense of safety begins to erode.

The two main characters use very different ways to understand what’s happening in their home. Zoe goes the religious and mystical way. Garth, on the other hand, takes a more levelheaded approach and tries to understand everything rationally. He initially dismisses Zoe’s ideas, but he soon must come to terms that there’s something going on that can’t be easily explained.

This is a book where horror and fantasy blends together. If you like stories with that kind of mix of genres then I think you’re going to like Evil Entombed. It delves into New England folklore and the time of the American Revolution. The book also has some strong Catholic themes.

However, it wasn’t just a horror story but a novel as well. It created well-rounded characters with unique personalities. They weren’t just paper dolls going through scary events, but people with lives and families outside of the house. That’s what I liked best about this book, that it created two people you could really empathize with

The one big flaw of Evil Entombed was how badly edited it was. There were a lot of grammatical and spelling errors as well as incorrect punctuation. Sometimes even the character’s names would be misspelled. Often I would come across what appears to be notes left by the author. All of that made the book seem very unprofessional.

If I were to rate Evil Entombed just on the story I would give it 4 stars since there’s nothing to really complain about. Unfortunately, the bad editing really brings the book down and I have to give it 3 out of 4 stars. That really makes me sad because I think there’s a lot of potential for more stories set in the world of Evil Entombed.

Evil Entombed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad this one is so poorly edited. In all other respects, it sounds like a great story. It's pretty classic, though. A couple finds their dream home is not quite what they expect. But, the mix of genres sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review. I'll check this one out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I hate that this was poorly edited, because while I don't typically enjoy reading horror themed books, I'm more of a movie watcher in that genre, this one really sounded interesting. I might pick it up despite the errors and see how far I get. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The plot seems interesting and I definitely want to know about the wolf. Hopefully the author is able to get the book edited properly. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m not a fan of horror, whether it be on the big screen or in a book. You can never erase the images created. Those who enjoy the genre will probably like this one if they can get past the errors. Thanks for the review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I love the fact that a wolf was guarding this family from evil because when I was growing up, most of the horror stories I read only portrayed wolves as evil predators. Aside from that, this sounds like an interesting mix of horror and fantasy. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a thrilling read, except for the poor editing. Thanks for your interesting review.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

That's sad indeed! A great story marred by it's lack of editing! I believe the author would do something about it after reading this review. Appreciate you honest review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I will give this book a try after it undergoes a round of editing. Thanks for the insightful review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like the contrast of the two main characters. It sounds like a spooky read.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a really great review i must say. It is a reflection of how lovely the book is. Will love have a read of this. Always love horror novels created expertly.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Yvette1996
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Yvette1996 »

I love horror stories. I would look forward on reading this. I am also intrigued about the wolf. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”