Official Review: Revenge from the Grave by Susan T. Parker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Revenge from the Grave by Susan T. Parker

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Revenge from the Grave" by Susan T. Parker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cyberbullying is just a more modern, technically involved form of bullying, one that is a major issue today. Along with sex trafficking, this is one of the topics highlighted in Revenge from the Grave by the author Susan T. Parker.

Alexis Ryan is a typical teen with good grades, many friends, and overall, a healthy family life. Much to her parents’ grief, however, one morning they found her dead, hanging from a beam in their garage. A quick police investigation uncovered that Alexis was a victim of cyberbullying from her boyfriend. The online shaming was so bad that she saw no other way out but to end her life.

This happened in 2005 when cyberbullying laws were non-existent. Twelve years later, someone still can’t let the past go and can’t let the death of Alexis be forgotten. Someone wants revenge, and they want it bad.

Many people can relate to the main premise of the book. Bullying is still prominent in all corners of the world, and few people get a chance to a payback. I guess that’s why I could sympathize with the shaoiste, the reclusive person who is pulling the strings from the shadows.

The book is a well-crafted mix of legal mystery, detective novel, revenge plot, and conspiracy thriller, with a dash of crime reporting. While we get a glimpse of how the main plot will unfold almost from the start, there are several subplots involving some intriguing characters that make the book a most enjoyable read. We have councilman Jeff Withers, a worthless, pompous dork who got his position through shady means; we meet Caitlin Rourke, news editor for a local newspaper, whose first meeting with Jeff ends in a broken nose and several expletives; we also read about the shaoiste, whose identity remains a secret throughout almost the entire book; and finally, we follow the detectives who try to unravel the complex threads in front of them.

At less than 300 pages, Revenge from the Grave is a relatively short book which I’ve read in one afternoon. It was a gripping thriller that kept me hooked on the story until the last page, one that ended on a note allowing for a possible sequel.

I thoroughly enjoyed the excellent story and found the main characters (especially Caitlin Rourke) intriguing. Nothing deterred her in running after the next possible Pulitzer-winning story, not even fear for her own life. In addition, I especially liked the way the revenge was carried out. It was quite ingenious and also different from the usual payback stories.

I didn’t find many grammatical errors in the book. Even if there were any, I was so engrossed in the tale that I forgot to read it with a detached eye searching for them.

Revenge from the Grave will appeal to anyone who loves quick beach-reads, especially suspenseful crime, mystery, and thriller novels. While some details about sexting were mentioned in the book, there was nothing explicit within the pages, so even teens and young adults who love the suspense genre will be able to read it without problems.

Overall, I give Revenge from the Grave 4 out of 4 stars, and I'm eagerly hoping for a possible sequel.

Revenge from the Grave
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cyberbullying so often has such tragic results. This mystery sounds captivating, especially if you finished it in an afternoon. I really can't wait to read it! Thanks for the great review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great thriller that hits in some modern issues
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

I love that this book touches on cyberbullying. Can't wait to read it. Nice review.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

This seems like it would be an interesting read! Thanks for the review
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Brianmusaukasina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brianmusaukasina »

It would be interesting its a nice review
PetRonioeCojr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PetRonioeCojr »

The review was not optimist as it goes. The backdrops was interesting how bully from the grave get there peace. Maybe different point of view of bully's will change story by story.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Never really understood the logic behind bullies being mean to other kids. I mean, just because someone considers themselves superior to others, it grants them no right to make other peoples lives unbearable. And that this has been modernized is even sadder.

That aside,I do like the plot of the book. Thank you for the insightful review. The read does sound captivating.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

So interesting!
I´ve never dealt with cyberbullying...I´m too old for that. But it´s a topic that interests me and concerns me as a human and social issue. The added supernatural plot just makes it a bit more appealing to me. And honestly, sometimes I just want a can´t- put-down, light read.
I´ll totally add it to my shelves. Thank you!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Good review. It's a great twist to an actual problem still going on today.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Bullying is a horrible thing that too many still deal with. This sounds like a great book that's definitely worth reading. Thanks for the informative review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hannahrg
Currently Reading: Survivor's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahrg.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Hannahrg »

The review made me excited to read the book. Social media is a very helpful tool for communication nowadays, however, some people abuse and use it for the wrong reasons. News reports have also shown the statistics of young people ending their lives because of cyberbullying. This topic has been taboo and people have been avoiding such discussion but this book is an eye-opener to the darkness and the truth behind cyber bullies.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Oh this book sounds like a great read! Combining issues such as cyber bullying, sex trafficking, suicide and murder and the relevance of these issues in the present certainly makes this a must read. Great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Bullying really is a terrible thing, but at least when I was young, it was only in person; even so, I also had some racism mixed in with the bullying I received, so I'm thankful that I was strong enough to withstand it. With that being said, there were MANY days where I would like to have gotten the bullies back - and even now, I'd punch them if I came across them, *lol*! - so I LOVE the premise of this book. I'm especially intrigued by the "shaoiste"; it sounds like one who may practice some sort of Asian ritual or something... Thanks so much for the thorough review; this one's definitely on my 'To Read' list!
Elbobbo23
Currently Reading: Party Politics in a New Democracy
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by Elbobbo23 »

Sounds like a fantastic read. Great review. Think I am going to buy this book. :D :D

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”