Official Review: Shadow Saints by M. C. Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Shadow Saints by M. C. Jackson

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow Saints" by M. C. Jackson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow Saints, by M.C. Jackson, is a fictional book about a radical cult. Their members are young people who have been brainwashed by a fanatical leader. This cult leader declares he is the Son of God. He also believes God has told him to overthrow the corrupt federal government.

The last time Senator Frank Watkins saw his young daughter was when the Covenant of Saints kidnapped her. She grew up inside the cult.

Sam, the older brother, became an FBI agent. One day, while comparing data with a fellow FBI colleague, he recognized his kidnapped sister in a photo. When he discovered that she might be alive, he immediately made plans to rescue her. This involved some careful planning and traveling. He wanted to infiltrate their isolated camp, deep in the Bitterroot Mountains of Idaho. His goal was to rescue his sister and prevent the cult from using their weapons and bombs to destroy the country’s financial system. He teams up with Mickey, a forest ranger, whose husband died at the hands of the same cult. Together, they hope to enter the camp, rescue Sam’s sister, and thwart the cult’s malicious plans.

The plot was very intriguing and built up the suspense throughout the story. The twists and turns grip the reader, making one anxious to uncover more details. The author chose an excellent setting for this story. This cult, hidden in the mountains of Idaho, was a perfect secluded area to conceal their activities from spying eyes. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the mountain landscape. The pacing of the book was excellent. The dialogues were also very believable. The speeches delivered by the cult leader were especially captivating.

One thing I particularly appreciated was the explanation of acronyms. Each time an acronym appeared, the author took care to explain its meaning. This helped with the reading flow and avoided confusion.

The one frustration I had with the text was the weak development of some of the subplots. The suspense rose to a peak. Then, the author changed from showing to telling. I felt there was an abrupt ending to several situations and didn’t understand why the author changed his method of storytelling.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few editing issues. The captivating story line, the development of the characters and the plot kept me intrigued until the end.

This book would appeal to anyone who enjoys suspense. Be aware that the text does present some difficult themes. There are references to torture and sexual abuse.

Shadow Saints
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Interesting story, I'd like to see if Sam would be able to rescue his sister, and if his sister would even want to be rescued at all, considering she has spent a lot of time brainwashed. Nice review.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am glad you mentioned the speeches delivered by the cult leaders because I am interested in understanding their brainwashing methods and the actual organization of the cult. I am also curious to know if Sam's sister would want to go back home or she would refuse to do that, considering the time she spent with the cult members. Thanks for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

prospero360 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 02:14 Interesting story, I'd like to see if Sam would be able to rescue his sister, and if his sister would even want to be rescued at all, considering she has spent a lot of time brainwashed. Nice review.
Well, you have hit on a major dilemma of the story. Do people want to be "rescued" from cults? Hope you read the book and find out!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

cristinaro wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 04:14 I am glad you mentioned the speeches delivered by the cult leaders because I am interested in understanding their brainwashing methods and the actual organization of the cult. I am also curious to know if Sam's sister would want to go back home or she would refuse to do that, considering the time she spent with the cult members. Thanks for an interesting review!
I specifically mentioned the speeches because just reading them impacted me. I went through many different emotions while reading this book. Hope you have a chance to read it!
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

I'm going to like this book. The cult aspect peeked my interest. I've been interested in writing something involving conspiracy and brainwashing. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

This is a fascinating story with intriguing characters, i would like know what happens next if Sam was able find his sister. This will be a good read for me.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Roc Madness wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:07 I'm going to like this book. The cult aspect peeked my interest. I've been interested in writing something involving conspiracy and brainwashing. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review.
Sounds like it has everything you are looking for. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The author did an excellent job!
Hannahrg
Currently Reading: Survivor's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahrg.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Hannahrg »

Seems like an awesome read based on the review. I will add this to my shelf so I could remember to read it. I love stories grounded on police work and investigation.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I've always found plots involving cults intriguing. Your review has piqued my interest and now I'm curious to find out the fate of Sam's sister! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm adding this to my bookshelves.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 14:54 I've always found plots involving cults intriguing. Your review has piqued my interest and now I'm curious to find out the fate of Sam's sister! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm adding this to my bookshelves.
I enjoyed this book very much. Hope you do, too!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

For some reason, I do enjoy reading about fictional cults and the suspense that comes with that. Still, I'm unsure about the graphic torture and abuse. I'll give this more thought, but I'm glad you enjoyed the suspense. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 18:28 For some reason, I do enjoy reading about fictional cults and the suspense that comes with that. Still, I'm unsure about the graphic torture and abuse. I'll give this more thought, but I'm glad you enjoyed the suspense. Thanks!
I understand what you are saying. I had my doubts at first, too. I think the author did a very good job of portraying the truth of what happens inside some these groups. Hope you will read it and see for yourself.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 20:20
kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 18:28 For some reason, I do enjoy reading about fictional cults and the suspense that comes with that. Still, I'm unsure about the graphic torture and abuse. I'll give this more thought, but I'm glad you enjoyed the suspense. Thanks!
I understand what you are saying. I had my doubts at first, too. I think the author did a very good job of portraying the truth of what happens inside some of these groups. Hope you will read it and see for yourself.
nashy14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nashy14 »

I loved the story based on the review. interesting author and the plot of the story makes me want to read more. i want to know if sam can rescue his sister.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”