Official Review: They Do That for the Dead by Alan M. Blank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: They Do That for the Dead by Alan M. Blank

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "They Do That for the Dead" by Alan M. Blank.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They Do That for the Dead by Alan M. Blank is the sequel to Trouble in Bay Town, but it stands up perfectly well as an individual novel. Sonny Knight is a 1940s style gumshoe who operates in the modern world but refuses to use a computer and always ‘forgets’ to carry his cell phone. Nevertheless, he is remarkably successful and is used regularly by the police to help in their investigations.

Trent Simmons, an employee at Town Hall, is rushed to hospital after receiving a severe beating. When asked to identify his attacker, he points to the TV where Stelton Pike, the most influential man in Bay Town, is being interviewed. Later, Sonny is approached by Ruby Redstone who wants him to pull some strings so that she can gain access to her late brother’s safety deposit box. She is dressed in mourning, but her grief is belied by her bright-red shoes. Sonny smells a rat and is subsequently embroiled in murders and mysteries galore.

As well as being an exciting and well-written story, the book is further enhanced by the author’s sense of humour. Make sure you always read his disclaimers at the start, they are a hoot. Also, look out for nods to classic detective authors. Additionally, I love his Panama hat which is basically a fedora, à la Sam Spade, that is made out of straw.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book but found it a little light on complexity. This book has upped the ante. The story is more convoluted and a little grittier than the first. Sonny is an all-round nice guy, devoted to his girlfriend, Brooke Lynne Lane, and to his secretary, Cookie, though in a different way. Nevertheless, he’s no wimp; he is a staunch defender of minorities and victims, and sometimes weighs in with his fists when the need is just.

There were some unexpected twists and a satisfying flourish at the end. My only criticism is that I found some of the clues to be rather obvious. I spent much of the book yelling the identity of the attacker and howling the location of the ill-gotten gains. Having said that, it’s not terribly important as there are plenty of other strings to this bow. Some crime books are like a plane journey where it’s simply a race to get to the destination. Blank’s books are more of a fairground ride where the best bit is in the middle where you loop the loop and do a face-plant into your ice cream. When you step off at the end, you immediately want to buy another ticket so you can get back on again.

The book is professionally edited and I found only one grammatical error; ‘slight of hand’ was used instead of ‘sleight of hand’. Altogether, I thoroughly recommend this book. It will be enjoyed by people who like the classic detectives and an easy to read, humorous page-turner. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

They Do That for the Dead
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the informative review as always! It sounds like a read chockful of adrenaline, although it’s a pity about the obvious clues and identities.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 23:25 Thanks for the informative review as always! It sounds like a read chockful of adrenaline, although it’s a pity about the obvious clues and identities.
Thank you :D
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This author sounds great. I'm sure he's fast becoming one of your favourites :) Please share the disclaimer - I'm dying to know what this one says!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

"Blank’s books are more of a fairground ride where the best bit is in the middle where you loop the loop and do a face-plant into your ice cream."
I honestly love this! :lol: I was cracking up.
Great review! You know just how to put it. :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 04:00 This author sounds great. I'm sure he's fast becoming one of your favourites :) Please share the disclaimer - I'm dying to know what this one says!
He is a favourite of mine. I’m looking forward to his next one.
The disclaimer was something like ’all the characters in this book are fictional and bear no similarity to anyone living or dead, except the boy being beaten up on his birthday. That was me.’
Thanks for posting. :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

JR Mercier wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 04:02 "Blank’s books are more of a fairground ride where the best bit is in the middle where you loop the loop and do a face-plant into your ice cream."
I honestly love this! :lol: I was cracking up.
Great review! You know just how to put it. :tiphat:
Thank you very much :D
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Interesting, another book to be read by this author.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 06:52 Interesting, another book to be read by this author.
Indeed, thanks for posting.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like your subtle description of the previous installment - "a little light on complexity." :) I don't think this book is for me as I prefer clues to be less obvious. Glad you enjoyed the book, especially the funny parts!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

bookowlie wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 08:26 Great review! I like your subtle description of the previous installment - "a little light on complexity." :) I don't think this book is for me as I prefer clues to be less obvious. Glad you enjoyed the book, especially the funny parts!
Thank you :tiphat:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I generally like the kind of story that keeps me guessing, rather then giving away the answers as you seem to suggest here. But this sounds like a fun read. And I thought it was interesting that you think this sequel is even better than the first installment. That rarely happens.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Dael Reader wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:35 I generally like the kind of story that keeps me guessing, rather then giving away the answers as you seem to suggest here. But this sounds like a fun read. And I thought it was interesting that you think this sequel is even better than the first installment. That rarely happens.
It was great fun and I was pleasantly surprised to find it better than the first. Thanks for posting :tiphat:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I loved your review of the first book and am thrilled you got to review book two! I'm glad the author upped the ante this round. It definitely sounds like a series I would enjoy!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

SABRADLEY wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 14:37 I loved your review of the first book and am thrilled you got to review book two! I'm glad the author upped the ante this round. It definitely sounds like a series I would enjoy!
Thank you, I’m sure you would enjoy it :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”