Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White Night" by J.J. Holt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Night by J.J. Holt follows Detective Jen Connors after she is reinstated to the NYPD following a devastating accident on her last case. With her career in jeopardy and her fitness for duty in question, she's less than thrilled about her new partner, an uncooperative transfer who is damaged in his own right. Their first case together involves solving a murder mystery with almost no viable initial leads, and Connors must ultimately stop a plot orchestrated by a mob member that could lead to many casualties.

Many crime thriller books fall into predictable patterns. White Night bucks this trend completely, with uncooperative witnesses, personal flaws that greatly hinder the protagonists, and a variety of unknown quantities that lend a great deal of suspense to the narrative. Holt doesn't shy away from throwing any variety of catastrophes at her characters, so even the result of the book's climactic operation seems like it could go either way. These elements never feel shoehorned in or disorganized, though, and the ending is still quite satisfying.

Another striking narrative element was the sheer amount of character in the book's world. Rather than focusing on only a few main characters to develop, Connors' enemies, co-workers, and even people she knows personally are incredibly distinct. This also leads the reader to sympathize, at least a little bit, with several of the antagonists. It's a bit hard to quantify, but every single character in this book, regardless of the impact of their role, feels like a real person.

White Night is very character-driven, and while it takes place in New York City, I felt that the story could be transposed to practically any urban setting with very little difference. This isn't necessarily a flaw, merely a stylistic choice that follows in the footsteps of most police procedurals. There is also no romance between Connors and Ross. I found this refreshing, as it would undermine Connors' struggle to become independent after her injury, but readers who demand romantic relationships in thriller books may not be satisfied with how their relationship develops.

Ultimately, its character-focused narrative is White Night's greatest strength. It is an incredibly engaging novel with starkly realistic motives and relationships, and every page is infused with a sense of urgency and tension. For these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I'd highly recommend it to both new and old fans of police procedurals, from literature to television cop dramas.

White Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I really enjoy books that I can relate to the characters, and it seems this one has a whole host that I can pick from. Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
emmy001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emmy001 »

This book has good storyline because it encompasses day to day activities. The climax is also good and the suspense is captivating wanting you to want read more. All in all a big kudos to the author who has taken time to study the cop world. nice job .
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Two damaged people struggling to get along bonded together as partners to stop crime and save lives? This has the potential to be a very entertaining thriller! It sounds like a worthy read. Thanks for sharing your insights!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Jhessalay829

Post by Jhessalay829 »

Wow this is an interesting book. I really love the story.
So Nice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-so-nice.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by So Nice »

Your review in itself is captivating and prompting. I'm definitely adding this one to my bookshelf. Good work!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad all the characters feel real. I'm a bit afraid that there are too many of them. However, I do like what you've said about it. I'll have to look into it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I echo what kandscreely said: Good that all the characters feel real, but too many can make it difficult to keep track of everyone and can make things confusing. It is refreshing when there is not a mandatory romantic engagement between main characters. Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed the book.
04Kens

Post by 04Kens »

The book itself is amazing. It takes a truly amazing author to make the characters situations and personalities something they the readers can relate too.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am happy the book brings something new to the crime fiction genre. The realism of the plot coupled with the right dose of suspense are not so easy to achieve, but the author seems to have managed to skillfully weave them together. Detectives struggling with personal problems are implicitly relatable characters too. Thanks for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

That sounds like an interesting book you have read and reviewed there. I would definitely read the book as I am a fan of crime fiction.All the suspense packed in that book seemed to have left you on the edge of your seat many times...
Thanks for the amazing review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Hpf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Hpf »

The story was dramatic, nice book.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

From what you have written in your review, it appears that the author has come up with new ways to make a crime novel less predictable. I like that! So often, the two partners wind up together in some long ravishing love affair that detracts from the plot. I like that this one goes into the relationship aspect of things where not everything just falls so tidily into place. Throw in that tension, and I guess this would be a book that needs to go on my to-read shelf! Thanks for the great review.
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love it when writers invest a lot in their characters whether they be protagonists or antagonists. It makes the story more interesting and real.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like an excellent police procedural, with plenty of twists and turns and great character development. I love a good crime thriller, so will have to add this to my Want to Read shelf. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”