Official Review: The Wingman by David Pepper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Official Review: The Wingman by David Pepper

Post by CaitlynLynch »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wingman" by David Pepper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Wingman is the second in David Pepper’s series about political reporter Jack Sharpe. Full disclosure; I haven’t read The People’s House, the first in the series, and there are events and characters referenced in The Wingman which are obviously from that story. However, I didn’t find that my lack of knowledge regarding the first book was an impediment to enjoying this one. The story stands perfectly well alone.

Now a high-flyer at a political news station, Jack Sharpe sees something strange while moderating his first TV debate between the Democratic candidates vying to be their party’s nominee for the presidency. One of the candidates is distinctly uncomfortable with talking about events during his military career which earned him a Silver Star, and Jack’s journalistic instincts take over. There’s a story to be found, and he and his team of intrepid researchers will follow, no matter where it leads. Through the complex world of special interest groups and dark-money SuperPACs, Jack must follow the story, even when it leads into terrible danger, because nothing less than the future of the free world may depend on it.

The author is the current Chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party, and his knowledge of politics and the law really shines through in his writing. As a British-born Australian, the American political system appears opaque and quite bizarre to me, but the process of electing a Presidential nominee at least is a lot more understandable after reading this book. David Pepper never overwhelms you with jargon, but includes explanations and procedure seamlessly within the structure of the story.

This is an absolutely riveting read. I couldn’t put it down until the very end, because the action just kept on coming. I won’t spoil the ending, but suffice it to say there were several intriguing little twists I didn’t see coming, and I finished the book musing on the aphorism “if you lie down with dogs, you’ll get up with fleas”. Considering the current events in American politics, this couldn’t be more timely, though any politicians with a scandal hidden in their pasts might find it hits a little too close to home!

I’d strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good political or action thriller. I’m an extremely picky proofreader, but I didn’t find a single spelling error or typo to distract from my enjoyment of the story. I have no hesitation in rating The Wingman four out of four stars.

The Wingman
View: on Bookshelves

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This book sounds right up my alley! I love thrillers and politics. Thanks for the review!!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love intriguing little twists that come unexpectedly. However, there are enough political games going on in real life. I don't feel the need to read fiction about politics.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, chairman of his state political party AND a fiction author?! I'd say this guy is one cool cat.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This book sounds absolutely intriguing, no less because the author is entrenched in politics himself! It would be quite embarrassing for this book to be full of grammar errors, so I'm glad you didn't find any! Thanks for the engaging and thorough review.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thank you for this review. I’d put the first Popper novel on my To Read list, and it’s good to learn that the sequel should be there too. (I’m a political junkie.)
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Sounds like a great book! Also, not to be shallow, but I really like the cover! I think that's quite important (am currently reading/reviewing a book which has a bizarrely incongruous and uninspiring cover so am noticing this stuff more).
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Definitely a book that's relevant to modern events in politics. I'm interested in how literature like this will reflect social norms in politics, especially in the days to come.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”