Official Review: Monsters in the hallway by Capt. Jim Kosmo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Monsters in the hallway by Capt. Jim Kosmo

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monsters in the hallway" by Capt. Jim Kosmo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monsters in the Hallway is a crime novel by Capt. Jim Kosmo. The book deals with the evils or "monsters" that we face, like bad people, bullying, abuse, and sexual assault. It is set in Eau Claire, a small community where murder is unheard of. When a Boy Scout is found dead under a picnic table at the park, the whole community is shaken.

The year is 1959, and it has been nine years since Jason witnessed the incident with the four monsters in the hallway. Nine years since the monsters ripped his father away and banished him to an asylum. Now, Principal Haugen has summoned Jason to his office. When Jason gets there, he is stunned by his mother's appearance. She has no make-up on, her dress is shrivelled up, and her hair is a mess. He is gripped by concern. What could possibly be wrong? They reveal to him that his friend, Roy Pettit, was found dead. Worse yet, the primary suspect is Jason's father, Peder Korsen. Jason refuses to believe this. Yes, Peder has a mental illness, but he would never do something this horrific. He is determined to prove his father's innocence.

The author has dedicated this book to his father, who spent 27 years in mental institutions. Thus, the book paints a vivid picture of life in mental institutions back in the 1950s. It demonstrates the various treatments used in attempts to treat patients. The methods involved in these treatments were shocking! It also presents the misguided beliefs about mental illness that people have in general. This thought-provoking, educational aspect was presented in an entertaining manner. It enhanced the development of the story, adding to the mystery of whether Peder was responsible for Roy's murder or not.

The main characters have extensive backstories. Usually, I feel that long backstories delay plot development. This book was different. These backstories were interesting and necessary. They allowed me to witness how unfeeling, ruthless humans can impact on a person's psyche. This was vital for the development of the murderer's character, and in turn, the plot.

Towards the end of the book, the identity of the murderer became pretty obvious. Yet, the element of suspense was maintained. I was gripped by anxiety, fearing that justice would not be served. Gathering the necessary evidence to prove the murderer's guilt was a challenge.

I have to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars - it deserves nothing less! It has a gripping storyline, amazing characters, and a well-developed background. I recommend it to those who enjoy crime novels.

Monsters in the hallway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, some very serious issues in this book. I also recently read a book where the title referenced "monsters". They, too, ended up being more than the "under the bed" type. Kudos on a great review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Gracetailor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracetailor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gracetailor »

Wow, for a moment I was completely mesmerized wanting no disturbance. Awesome review. Way to go dear!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that even though the killer was revealed, the suspense was kept until the end. It's certainly an interesting title, and it makes you wonder what the book is about right away. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
drei97
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drei97.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by drei97 »

This is a good review. Thank you for the plot in a nutshell! I didn't know mental health issues were already a thing in the 50's. I'm quite interested in psychology and I love settings that go way back. I'm going to read this book someday, since you seem to have rated it fairly.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

The heading is most certainly enthralling and the flashback settings keeps the story avid.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!
Nathi_Enoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathi-enoch.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Nathi_Enoch »

Wow, this book really sounds interesting. I'd like to read it!
Your review really gives a good insight of what it is about and I'm definitely intrigued by it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

I cannot wait to get my hands on this one - I would be curious to know if you have any other book recommendations on the topic of mental health (specifically the history of?) It's a fascinating subject, and I am looking to add more to my "to-read" list. Great review!
Brenda kimathi
Currently Reading: Because it is my Blood (Birthright #2)
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Brenda kimathi »

Wow!Monsters in the hallway? I couldn't tell monesters are indeed people,I just love this book,it's the next book I want to read.I wanna know who those monsters are!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A mystery book revolving around murder, mental illness experiences, and life in a small city sounds just like the book for me. That it is based on the author's personal experiences makes it even more intriguing. Gripping plot, complex characters, and good writing make for a good read. It is good that the suspense was maintained until the end. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

Awesome review. I am already intrigued and I would love to find out about the murderer. This book would be insightful to understand how serious mental health is.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Love a good mystery! A son and aging detective trying to prove a man innocent of murder. This is just the type of book I enjoy, adding in the way people were treated and the treatment of mental illness in the 1950's definitely makes this an interesting read. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Sounds like a gripping story for fans of the genre. I like the alusion between "monsters" and things other than just bad people. Not my kind of book, but interesting. Thanks for your review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical murder mystery thriller with an incredibly captivating plot that will surely keep one reading non-stop. I loved the book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The book is free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful onlinebookclub. Congrats @jimkosmo on BOTD.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”