Official Review: Stark by John Worsley Simpson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Stark by John Worsley Simpson

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stark" by John Worsley Simpson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stark, by John Worsley Simpson, is the first book in the Harry Stark Mystery series.

Due to a tragic accident, Detective Harry Stark has had some time away from the police force to recover. Back at work, his first case appears to be a basic burglary with one unfortunate victim.

Chris Harper, a rising star in the geology field, is found dead in his home office in front of his computer. However, some facts just don’t match up and Harry starts to dig deeper. When more people turn up dead, and with his bosses demanding the case be tied up, can Harry discover the murderer before it’s too late?

Written in third person, the story follows Harry as the main character, focusing on his development. Still struggling to come to terms with the accident, Harry needs to prove he’s capable of solving a case, not only to his bosses, but more importantly, to himself. Harry’s character is realistically described as he’s not always likeable. A difficult personality at the best of times, he’s also turned to alcohol to help get him through the night. This is a believable response to grief and tragedy, albeit an unhealthy one.

The secondary characters all provide a good mix of both suspects and colleagues with varying personalities. One character which I liked was neither suspect nor colleague, but a disgruntled piano player in a bar which Harry liked to visit. Morty provides some comic relief as well as an unassuming friendship for Harry outside of the police force.

Set in Canada in 1997, it is missing some of the more advanced technology of modern times, for example, floppy discs were mentioned several times. This provided a refreshing change from some of the more recent crime fiction books which I have read, which were packed full of up to date technology.

The book, in general, was well written, although I did find a couple of editorial errors which would be easily picked up by another run through with the editor. Unfortunately, I found the flow of the story quite slow at times and not as gripping as I was anticipating it to be. There were also a couple of incidents which weren’t followed up with as much detail as I would have liked. For example, without giving away too much, when Harry was hit over the head by an unknown assailant, the gravity of the situation seemed to be passed over very quickly. Also, a large part of the story seemed to revolve around Harry drinking. While it is apparent that he’s not coping very well, I did find this aspect a little overdone.

Overall, it was an enjoyable plot and I wasn’t able to predict the ending which I appreciate in crime fiction. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars mainly due to the editorial errors and the story flow. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime and mystery fiction, especially those who like to start a new series. While some serious topics are brought up such as murder, homosexuality, and alcohol abuse, these subjects are never graphic nor do they overwhelm the story.

Stark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I have always loved crime and mystery fiction in general and mystery series in particular so I may like this one particularly from your description of Harry who seems to be portrayed in a realistic manner. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It kind of puts a damper on the story when the author glosses over little details like that. You've been busy reading lately! Sounds like this is a good mystery, but that isn't my go to genre. I'll have to look at this one when I'm looking for that type of book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Crime is one of my favorite genres, and this one sounds like a goody, despite the things you didn't like about it. I especially like the realistic portrait the author paints of the protagonist, as way too many books have main characters who are too perfect and/or likable, when the real world isn't like that...Thanks for the very thorough review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Loving it! Despite the troubles and slow-pace in the book, the plot seem fascinating! I see that you have worked hard on the review. Thanks for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Crime and mystery narrations are most certainly alluring....Notable review!
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Sounds like a decent read, it's always interesting to see a protagonist cope with issues in a messy way. Plus I like that the setting isn't super modern and full of smartphones. Thanks for the great review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for the recommendation - a flawed hero has become a bit of cliché of the modern detective story, but usually there also a tough, 'maverick' figure - Harry sounds a lot more realistic, even if the drinking is bit overdone.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”