Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Hey, do you remember when...” is a phrase I'm sure we've all uttered at some point in our lives. In Mike Thorne's Murder in Memory, Dr. Jon Evans does remember when. Unfortunately, what he remembers are actually fake memories that have been planted in his mind by his trusted psychologist. For his part, Dr. Henry Andrews turns the Hippocratic Oath into a hypocritical oath, as he does a great deal of harm to a great many people.

Dr. Andrews has been suffering from terrible headaches for quite some time, and he uses murder to assuage his pain. Afraid he'll get caught, he uses hypnosis to plant memories in his patient's mind so the hapless professor, Jon, will think he committed the murders. Will Police Chief Grady Noland figure out the dastardly doctor's plan before he can kill yet again? Will Jon realize that he's remembering things he never actually did? Will Dr. Andrews get help for his headaches before it's too late? You'll need to read Murder in Memory to find out.

You'll notice that I gave the culprit's identity away. In this scenario, it's not a spoiler because author Thorne does so, as well, early on. I've read very few books where the killer was named up-front, so I was quite intrigued with how it would play out. I'm happy to say that despite knowing “whodunit” early on, I was still eager to continue reading; I wanted to see how long it would take the police chief to figure everything out. All told, I think this book was well-paced with a great balance of action and suspense.

In addition to the murder spree, there are a few other plots, such as Jon's wife's affair with a police officer, which actually becomes a key factor later in the book. I think the author did a fantastic job tying all the pieces together, and it made for an even more spine-tingling read.

Alongside Jon, Henry, Grady, and Jon's wife, there are quite a few other characters, all of whom are important to the story. Police Chief Noland's wife, Marge, for instance, plays an integral role throughout the tale. With a cast this large, none of the peripheral characters are fully fleshed-out, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment. I also think it's a testimony to the author's writing skills that I was sometimes able to feel sympathy for Dr. Andrews, our "bad guy".

Events in Murder in Memory take place in a small town, and I did get a Mayberry vibe, but much of the scenery was left up to my imagination. Again, this didn't lessen the book's value in my eyes.

With so much to enjoy about this story, I was really let down by the finale. Without giving anything away, I will say that I was less than pleased with how things played out. After becoming fully immersed in the tale, I was waiting for a great climax, yet there was none to be had. While I'm not sorry to have read the book, I still have a feeling of 'I read all that for THAT?' Suffice it to say, the ending left a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

Though I'd hoped to give Murder in Memory four stars, I'm forced to go with 3 out of 4 stars due to its ending. I kind of hope there's a sequel so as to tie some things up, but I also realize that some things cannot be fixed at this point either. On a good note, I didn't notice any grammatical errors, so it was really close to being a winner.

Since this was a good tale over all, I do recommend it for those who enjoy crime stories, especially the kind that reveal the killer early on. Also, while the ending wasn't to my liking, the twist may be more agreeable to others, so please don't let that turn you off too much; I'm just giving my opinion.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wow... Fake memories? Now I'm interested. Who doesn't love a good crime story?
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. This one sounds almost a little like Manchurian Candidate with the fake memories. Sounds quite intriguing. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Armourofgod
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Armourofgod »

I found this book very interesting and the author really did a fantastic job
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

It really is a great book, everyone;
it just sucks that there wasn't much of a pay-off at the end.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

I like your introduction, it told be what the book is about with out spoiling too much and the last sentence of the introduction was very clever! The review was great and was very informative. Good job.
Anu issac
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anu issac »

It's really an awesome book.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

It sounds so interesting! It's such a shame when strong stories just fizzle out at the end. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the ending. Thank you for your review.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thanks so much for the compliment, @Blue-siren; I try so hard to make sure my reviews are not just informative, but entertaining, too.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I've read books that had the memories planted in the mind scenario, but they all had a twisted sexual bent, which I don't care for. This does not seem to have that. I love a good murder mystery/crime book and this does sound promising, even though the ending was a bit disappointing to you, I am just a little reluctant because of past experience with this specific kind of mystery/crime book.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

I understand, @Kat Berg. I can assure you, though, there was zero sexual activity between Jon and Henry. But, like I said, Jon's wife was having an affair, but even that aspect wasn't too sexual, save one scene that briefly mentions oral gratification.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

MsTri wrote:I understand, @Kat Berg. I can assure you, though, there was zero sexual activity between Jon and Henry. But, like I said, Jon's wife was having an affair, but even that aspect wasn't too sexual, save one scene that briefly mentions oral gratification.
Thanks, that helps me to know better whether I will check it out. I tend to do samples first to see if I like it enough :)
Yodik
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Yodik »

Story that gives you negative feeling, proving that no one you can be trust of. You must wise of having a friend. But really good story
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Seems like it came so close to being the perfect detective story. But then again, from my own reading experience, the best detective stories keep the reader guessing. Nice review, nevertheless.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

You had me right up until the end, literally. This sounded like a great book, but as a mystery fan, anticlimactic endings are a big turnoff. I think there are just too many other books out there too enjoy. I'll have to pass on this one. Thanks for the insight!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”