Official Review: A haunting from beneath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: A haunting from beneath

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A haunting from beneath" by Dennis A. Morris.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Haunting From Beneath by Dennis A. Morris is, at its core, a haunted house story. The primary events take place in modern day, following one family’s move into a mansion on a remote property. As typical in ghost stories, strange and supernatural occurrences begin almost immediately upon their arrival, steadily building in intensity. One of the three children in the family, the teenage Shelby, appears to be the focus of a majority of the ghostly activity. As she begins to exhibit symptoms of something resembling possession, the plotline of the novel splits and a second parallel storyline is introduced. This second plot appears to the reader primarily through flashback-like dream sequences, telling the story of the previous inhabitants of the house, and throughout the course of the novel helps explain the strange events.

Because of the introduction of this second historical storyline, which dates back to the era of slavery in America, the novel branches out from being a simple ghost story and aims to teach and remind the reader of lessons learned from some of the darker seasons of history. This is a story of a family coming to terms with the truth about what took place on their property long before they were alive, and of the curse that follows the inhabitants of the house afterward. Each character in the novel is portrayed with his or her own distinct experience and viewpoint about the events that take place.

The story itself does not ever fully transition into a typical horror tale; at first the experiences of the family members are mysterious and creepy, then as more is uncovered about the causes behind the phenomena, the events are simply grim and almost sad. The ending is a typical “deus ex machina” situation, which is also somewhat cliché but not unexpected within the larger framework of the plot.

My main issue with this book was the writing style, which was seriously off-putting. This book needs some heavy editing and revision. It does not appear to have been proofread at all, as pretty much every single page contains multiple grammar and/or spelling mistakes. A spelling error literally appears within the first sentence of the book, and is followed by dozens more. The sentence structure is simplistic and repetitive, the descriptions are heavy handed, and there are many errors throughout (like missing or made-up words, names of characters switched around, improper use of pronouns, etc). The verb tenses are inconsistent, and the writer repeatedly inserts unnecessary ellipses mid-sentence. There are also many instances of improper use of punctuation and capitalization, incomplete sentences, and ungrammatical abbreviations. These errors in combination were so abundant and so distracting, that I believe even the most patient reader would have a hard time focusing on the plotline of the story.

Unfortunately, the main impression I was left with was that the author was careless in his execution, not taking the time to edit the story or even get a second opinion from someone who would have been honest about its current state. As I was reading, I wondered what it was that motivated the writer to complete this work, as it did not seem to me (given the number of errors) that writing is something that comes naturally to him. Perhaps the events within this book have some sort of personal significance to the author, but for other readers this is not a book that I would recommend spending time on. I have rated this book 1 out of 4 stars.

A haunting from beneath
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like ceruleanblue87's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it sounds like an interesting plot. It's too bad that it wasn't well written. It's something that i would like to have read, but now don't consider. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

The beginning of the book sounds interesting enough, though I'm not sure the turn it seems to take midway through flows well with the first half. Sorry the book was disappointing but I loved reading your review. Great job!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for this very thorough review. The story sounds captivating, so the high volume of errors is a huge letdown! I got excited as I read your opening paragraph, as I believed that I had stumbled upon a gem (I like haunted house stories). Hopefully the author will have the book edited.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I was interested until I read about the vast array of grammar and punctuation problems. Thanks for the thorough, honest review!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Oh, I was SO interested in this until you said that it was so incredibly poorly edited. That’s such a terribleness shame- I love ghost stories focus more on psychology/history/characters than full-fledged supernatural tales! You’re absolutely right though that good editing is essential to bring a story’s into focus, make it readable, and ensure proper editing and punctuation. Thanks for this review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”