Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chowan75
Bookshelf Size: 0

A Clause for Murder by Jill Shure

Post by Chowan75 »

I was introduced to Jill Shure's books this past year by a friend. Although I loved her two books in Night series (Night Jazz & Night Glitter)-both romance mysteries, I really loved her latest release, A Clause for Murder. I'm looking forward to the sequel to A Clause for Murder.
Teesie

Post by Teesie »

sheaman wrote:Murder on the Orient Express is a great mystery book to pick up if you're looking for a good read. It's part of Agitha Chrisie's Poroit series, so if you've never really been into AC you may not like it.

The basic idea of the story is that someone has been murdered on a train that is stuck in the snow. Poroit--a professional detective--happens to be stuck on this train as well. One of the passengers is the murderer.

(I know the way I describe it the book sounds like it has the plot line of a Nancy Drew, but it's really a lot more complex and compelling.)
Christie's Murder on the Nile is really good too. It's basically the same plot, but it occurs on a cruise tour down the Nile in Egypt.

Another good crime/suspense book I once read was Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark. It's about a woman who was convicted of murdering her two children, but was released because of a legal technacality. Seven years later she's changed her identity, moved away, regained everything she lost, including two beautiful children, and is beggining to think her nightmare is over. Then it all starts over again when a long lost enemy from years ago lurks about and kidnapps her two kids leaving her as the prime suspect!
Carrianne23

Post by Carrianne23 »

The Protector by Laurel Dewey was an excellent book that kept you on your toes with the suspense of Who Did It? A little girls family is killed leaving her as a witness and now the killer must close all loose ends. It was a really good book & my first read of Laurel Dewey!
Nabaa

Post by Nabaa »

an unsuitable job for a woman by P D james is my favorite one mabye its because iam a woman
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I believe I have read the first "The Green Mile" book, god damn was it excellent. One of Stephen King's greatest.
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

The rudimentary concept of the article is that somebody has been killed on a train that is attached in the snow. Poroit--a expert detective--happens to be attached on this train as well. One of the travellers is the murderer.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I am trying to get my hands on Bram Stokers Dracula, but that would be very rare.

(5000 Posts On This Forum)
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Jacob wrote:I am trying to get my hands on Bram Stokers Dracula, but that would be very rare.

5000 posts on the forum, what gives??
You only live once.....so live!
Stmarkspriest

Post by Stmarkspriest »

I just finished "good night mr holmes" which is part of the Irene Adler mystery series if you like Sherlock Holmes type mysteries. Good read!
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

Jacob wrote:I am trying to get my hands on Bram Stokers Dracula, but that would be very rare.

\
actually, it wouldn't(unless of course you are trying to get the original print, in which case, it would be unbelieveably rare and expensive.)

I bought my copy at borders cheap, and whenever I go to the local used book store, I always see around 8-12 copies of Dracula. But regrettably, never The Lair of the White Worm.

To be honest, I really didn't care for the green mile. I mean, it was enjoyable, but it was lacking in intensity, and nothing particularly exciting happened. What I did like was The Shawshank Redemption, it was much better than The Green Mile.

Another book I enjoyed was Richard Matheson's Seven Steps to Midnight. The majority of the story was really good, but I thoug the ending kind of ruined it. Richard Matheson tries too hard to put a plot twist at the end of all of his books, it sometimes ends up being really goofy.
4granted

Post by 4granted »

If you are looking for great suspense with strong female characters, an excellent suspense novel is Heart of Ice by Lis Wiehl, legal analyst for Fox News. Wiehl draws on her experience as a prosecutor and creates a great story. This book is the third in a series featuring the amazing women of the “Triple Threat Club”—federal prosecutor Allison Pierce, crime reporter Cassidy Shaw, and FBI special agent Nicole Hedges. The villain, Elizabeth Avery, is a chillingly real sociopath who manipulates and uses people to get what she wants. I loved it.
Dooberry

Post by Dooberry »

i have just finished reading the whole series of robert crais pike and cole books featuring p.i elvis cole and his mysterious friend joe pike and found them extremely enjoyable and not taxing at all wondered if anybody else had read and enjoyed or disliked. my favourite recent book was david wolstencroft good news bad news also would like anybodys thoughts on this if they had read it thanks im new to this so hope i have done this the correct way.
Rypbookfan

Post by Rypbookfan »

A few of my more recent favorites are:
The Innocent by Vincent Zandri
Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd
Deception by Jonathan Kellerman
Hold Tight by Harlan Corbin
Bad Blood by John Sandford
SheikL
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Kill You Twice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheikl.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SheikL »

The Alex Cross books are great. Have you read other Patterson series?

The Women's Murder Club and the Michael Bennett series are just as good. If you're looking for other authors, try J.A. Jance - The J.P. Beaumont series, or Stuart Woods - Stone Barrington series. They are
easy reads.
Tkhardman

Post by Tkhardman »

Love the Reacher series. Have read all of them. They are pretty predictable and formula in alot of ways but that's what I like about them. Lee Child always delivers and the Reacher character is always predictably likable.
If you want fictional crime Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series is great. Better than HBO if you ask me! You get much more of Dexter's inner dialogue which is the best part of both the series and the books.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”