Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Scott »

Please use this thread to recommend or post short reviews of books that fall in the category of crime/thrillers/mystery.

If you want personalized recommendations for this genre, make a post in this thread with a brief explanation about what type of other books or authors you like in this genre.

You can also recommend against reading books that you read but didn't like.

When recommending a book, it may help to make a concise description of the book. If you wish to write more than a paragraph about a book or series, please post a new thread dedicated solely to that book or series.

If you are listing a lot of books, it may be a good idea to briefly explain the list a little. (Are all the books part of a sub-genre? Do they all the books you are listing have something in common? If they are your personal favorites in the genre, then briefly tell us a little about yourself and what types of books you like.)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
mohses
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mohses »

scotty old mate if crime is your fancy ! you can`t go pass a criminal(come) author MARK BRANDON (CHOPPER) REID , funny , actually hillerious at times ,aussie fella with a great sense of humour , i think there 7 books in the series , book 1 titled CHOPPER. treat yourself to a good laugh aussie style , cheerz :lol: :lol:
sheaman

Post by sheaman »

Murder on the Orient Express is a great mystery book to pick up if you're looking for a good read. It's part of Agitha Chrisie's Poroit series, so if you've never really been into AC you may not like it.

The basic idea of the story is that someone has been murdered on a train that is stuck in the snow. Poroit--a professional detective--happens to be stuck on this train as well. One of the passengers is the murderer.

(I know the way I describe it the book sounds like it has the plot line of a Nancy Drew, but it's really a lot more complex and compelling.)
Letitia30

Post by Letitia30 »

Just an FYI to Sue Grafton mystery readers out there.....Grafton's new book U is for Undertow will release in December.
I have read a couple of her books and enjoyed most of them with the exception of one.

Make everyday count.
Letitia
vorsta

Post by vorsta »

I never before didn't read Lee Child's books, GONE TOMORROW was first, and in my opinion it interesting book. In a novel that sweeps through one hairpin surprise after another, Lee Child releases a thriller that spreads three decades and gnaws at the heart of America . . . and for Jack Reacher, a man who trusts no one and likes it that way, it’s a mystery with only one answer-the kind that comes when you finally get in person and look at your worst enemy in the eye.
speechless

Post by speechless »

I just read a book called Mean Martin Manning by Scott Stein. It's one of the best, most entertaining books I've read in a while. It's about a man who just wants to be alone, but the government forces him into a "rehabilitation" program because he's living a supposedly unhealthy lifestyle. Manning has to find a way to escape, as he is constantly surrounded by guards. When he does, he's all about revenge.

This book is very comedic, but it's also very thrilling. I recommend it to EVERYONE.
Last edited by speechless on 28 Jun 2009, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

speechless wrote:I just read a book called Mean Martin Manning by Craig Forgrave. It's one of the best, most entertaining books I've read in a while. It's about a man who just wants to be alone, but the government forces him into a "rehabilitation" program because he's living a supposedly unhealthy lifestyle. Manning has to find a way to escape, as he is constantly surrounded by guards. When he does, he's all about revenge.

This book is very comedic, but it's also very thrilling. I recommend it to EVERYONE.
I just looked up the book on Amazon to read more and it says the author is Scott Stein.
speechless

Post by speechless »

My apologies, I just edited the post.
ideaman

Post by ideaman »

I just read Lee Child's Persuader. It was okay, kind of dark, but at the end I wondered why I had read it. Didn't leave a good feeling. It was a good read though. Are any of his other books better?
minadoct

Post by minadoct »

I'm reading " the mystery of Jamieson Stone" by Jonathan Cross and it seems to be Ok.
Butter Cream Queen

Post by Butter Cream Queen »

vorsta wrote:I never before didn't read Lee Child's books, GONE TOMORROW was first, and in my opinion it interesting book. In a novel that sweeps through one hairpin surprise after another, Lee Child releases a thriller that spreads three decades and gnaws at the heart of America . . . and for Jack Reacher, a man who trusts no one and likes it that way, it’s a mystery with only one answer-the kind that comes when you finally get in person and look at your worst enemy in the eye.
I have read all Reacher books to date and have enjoyed them all. Reacher never becomes a one trick pony for me. I have read a few series and by I get to maybe the 5th book I can predict the entire plot. That has not happened with a Reacher story yet!
Butter Cream Queen

Post by Butter Cream Queen »

ideaman wrote:I just read Lee Child's Persuader. It was okay, kind of dark, but at the end I wondered why I had read it. Didn't leave a good feeling. It was a good read though. Are any of his other books better?
The Reacher books are better as a series. Each book can stand alone but as a whole they all become much better.
limpet_21

Post by limpet_21 »

I have been reading Karen Rose books recently. So far i have read six of them. "Scream for me" is one of my favourites. I definetly recomend reading them. They are about murder and they all link to each other. Fantastic!!! :D
Montetre'

Post by Montetre' »

That is fantastic!
jasonkendall

Post by jasonkendall »

CSI books seem to be pretty good for me

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”