Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Salma M »

Crooked House is a murder mystery novel by Agatha Christie that deserves to be on your bookshelf.

The story follows a private detective as he tries to uncover the murderer of his former lover's grandfather.With a twist at the end this book is hard to put down once you start reading.
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

I love the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter. She can really make you visualise the scene and the books have great relatable characters.
This too shall pass ~Edward Fitzgerald :roll: :doh:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I love Stephen King and one of my favorites is The Stand. I was so attached to the characters that I just wanted another volume. A super flu has contaminated the world's population. The characters are well developed and the book had me rooting for the good guys the whole way.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Post by cadelfavreau »

You should read anything by George Pelicanos!
Adi 5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adi 5 »

If you’re looking for a light but good book to read, check out Famous Last Words by Katie Alender. This book has a bunch of glorious topics. From Hollywood history to murder, this book will draw you in to the mayhem and a fresh romance. This is one of my favorite murder mystery books out there!
JJeans81

Post by JJeans81 »

Books by Harlan coben are good reads. Most of the time you think you got it all figured out and he puts a twist in and it leaves you thinking ok what going to happen next how is this going to end
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is a nice a mystery that has produces more questions than answers up till the finale. The Nameless City by H.P. Lovecraft is another along with Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero. Cantero's book reminded me of so many things and even answered a question I had from years prior in relation to this anime I was watching at the time.

Honorable Mention:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Operation Barracuda by David Michaels

This is book two of the series which picks up where book one left off. There's a big mystery that needs to be solved before more casualties surface. Focus is on a splinter cell named Sam Fisher who is tasked with finding info on a mole while doing his best to keep from getting cornered by various interested parties.
Annony11

Post by Annony11 »

In the past few years, I listened to the audio books for James Patterson’s entire Alex Cross series. I like how he develops characters across the series. It’s hard to beat Mary Higgins Clark for thriller. I also have a soft spot for cooking mysteries. Recently I’ve read a series by Amanda Flower about a candy maker in Amish country dealing with a variety of murders. They’re definitely fluffier than more serious mysteries but sometimes that’s what you’re looking for.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I recommend any Dick Francis novel, he is amazing.

Also, John Grisham. Enough said.
unencumbered
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unencumbered.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by unencumbered »

YOU, Caroline Kepnes
Sadistic, and very well written FPP from the antagonist.
unencumbered
Currently Reading:

Post by unencumbered »

YOU is also a netflix series I wanted to watch but the second episode won't load past 20% so I ran down to the library and borrowed the sequel Hidden Bodies which I'm 8 chapters into (the chapters are short, which is nice for coffee breaks etc). This one happens to have a different vibe, I suppose, and the antagonist has different motives. Another pile of fun to read.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Nonisha Das wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 09:44 I've recently read "tell me your dreams" by Sidney Sheldon. And, I must say those who fancy thriller and suspense must go for it. About me, I loved it totally. It's basically throwing lights upon a rare medical disorder which the protagonist suffers from. The way author has presented the suspense is really commendable. I'd suggest you people to go give it a try?
I agree. This is one of my all-time favourites! I love psychological thrillers.
unencumbered
Currently Reading:

Post by unencumbered »

PaulaSofia wrote: 20 Jan 2016, 13:22 You by Caroline Kepnes. Crazy, twisted, dark, funny and charming all in one. It's a crazy ride in this guy's head!
Hi PaulaSofia, I recently read this title, and the sequel Hidden Bodies. I'm looking for conversations on books I've recently read, and am wondering whether you'd be interested in talking about You or the sequel with me.
Apologies to all for posting this here. I wasn't sure how else to reach out PaulaSofia, or others' in general.

unencumbered
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Higashino Keigo's books are quite good, I think. His books' genre varies from crime to slice of life, with a bit of mystery and supernatural to them. I would recommend Byakuyakou (aka Journey Under the Midnight Sun) which follows a pair of children running away from their shady past to their sinful present. Or if you want a cozy, mild story, you can look for Namiya Zakkaten no Kiseki (aka The Miracles of the Namiya General Store). By circling around the one-night loop of time inside a small, abandoned shop, this book can send a chill down your spine as it unfolds.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Poison Orchids by Sarah A. Denzil and Anni Taylor. The story is about two women who are brutally abused, found alive on the side of a highway. Through questioning by the detectives, they realize their stories don't add up. This leads to some crazy twists while you try to figure out what is happening, who is telling the truth and what characters you can trust in the book. I loved it. Themes the book deals with are psychology, religion (?) and mystery.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”