Review: Justice by Scott Hughes (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Review: Justice by Scott Hughes (spoilers)

Post by isa3030 »

An interesting tale of love,marriage,loyalty,justice betrayed,a bloody lesson to evil doers.A fantastic teach on what to expect and prevent in relationship
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Three reviews for the price of one thread! Justice divided into three parts - I would love to explore this, therefore sold on the book. Thanks Guys!!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
nadzcabs
Currently Reading: The Crimson Heirlooms
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by nadzcabs »

Justice by Scott Hughes is very intriguing book for it deals with real life problems with relationships now a days,
the characters are well represented and their problems are real, it's a very good read for it's twist and turn and a captivating suspense thriller mood that would keep anybody reading it guessing what would happen next.
greekbard_vty
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Justice</a>
Currently Reading: Child of the Sun Complete Edition
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by greekbard_vty »

I really enjoyed this story. And originally, I was extra excited about it as I learned Scott wrote it. He's a great storyteller in his own right. And I just like his work. He remains in the top 10 of my personal favorite. Marcus as a character here is quite relatable to me. He's human. And he's real.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

I read the sample on Amazon, it's good. Brynn seems like a bit of a bitch, which should make the story interesting, I love bitchy characters!
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

Here is my take on Brynn. While I'm not in support of her infidelity, I think her husband is more responsible for their failing marriage. Women are highly emotional beings. They become dejected when their supposed true love seems disinterested in them over some time. Because women are in constant need of reassurance that their partner genuinely cares about them, I think men should do more to keep them reassured. It's no wonder Brynn decided to get that attention from wherever she could find it. The book is an exciting story about the less discussed emotional abuse. I like it.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

A story that will make you realize how much you're willing to sacrifice for your family! This is something Im willing to read all over again.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Hi! Review on point. If I elected to read your review even with the spoiler warning, it's my problem. However, I realize that I want to be unaware of a book's major plot twist before I dive into it. The book's still a curiosity though. Now, I wonder if there are courtroom scenes or if there are chapters written in the voice of, and from the perspective of Marcus. My first thoughts of the book: What makes a marriage flounder? What are the triggers that make one spouse do the unthinkable: cheat on her partner and eventually not feel guilty about it. What makes a wife loath her husband? The small details of an ordinary life that drive her to boredom and a sense of pointlessness? These are the opening pages of Justice by Scott Hughes as we are introduced to Brynne, the angry, unfaithful wife. Marriage is the union of two people so let's see both sides of the story. The opening pages show a novel sensitively and well-written. Mr. Hughes opens the story with the perspective of an angry wife, Brynne. He gets the tone of a resentful and even vengeful woman who feels caged in her life, ignored and unappreciated, and who strikes out by cheating. Brynne is even contemplating the benefits of being physically abused by her husband Marcus because that would be a great weapon against him. "Emotional" abuse, she thinks, is so hard and complicated to prove. A great dramatic and psychological drama that explores the events leading to a collapse and breakdown of a marriage; and the complexities of love turning to hate.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

This seems very interesting. I bet it paints a great image of marriage.
Ivona_Pi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-pi.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by Ivona_Pi »

Justice: A Novella by Scott Hughes
First few pages of the book wrap you up real fast. It’s all consuming topic between man and woman relationship. Ethics of marriage is in question, with subject of how far toxic relationship will push you to do things you usually never would do. Interesting plot so far, based on few sample pages.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I have no words to accurately describe how spot on this book was when it comes to addressing true justice. I am in total agreeance with the prosecutor. My ex was convicted of shooting with intent to kill, domestic assault and battery by strangulation, and resisting arrest. He has not served any time in jail. I fell behind $750 on child support and served 6 months in jail. There is no fairness in the court system. I felt a bitter hatred towards Brynn for being so selfish and ignorant. Divorce was an option before that day. She chose to see her husband as weak for not playing on her level. I understood Marcus' motive for killing her because he based his self-value on her being his wife. As thoughtful as he was, he technically killed himself by preventing her from leaving. I bought the book and I definitely believe this is one of the best novellas I have read in a long time
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”