Official Review: The Magic of Murder by Susan Lynn Solomon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Official Review: The Magic of Murder by Susan Lynn Solom

Post by bookowlie »

You're most welcome. Thanks for sharing your backstory of the road to becoming an author. :) I am putting the future sequel on my must-read list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Will have to add to my ever growing TBR pile! Awesome review bookowlie!
Susan Lynn Solomon
Currently Reading: Tricky Twenty-Two
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Susan Lynn Solomon »

I'm so very glad so many people find The Magic of Murder intriguing. I can't wait to learn what everyone thinks after reading the book. Meantime, Emlyn, Rebecca, Roger, and, yes, Elvira arre at it again. I've just finished writing chapter 24 of the sequel. About 90% done now...I sure hope my characters tell me who did it and why soon. (hehehehe).
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Wonderful job on this review, bookowlie! You're my hero ;)

Congrats @Susan Lynn Solomon and good luck with the sequel.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

anonanemone wrote:Wonderful job on this review, bookowlie! You're my hero ;)

Congrats @Susan Lynn Solomon and good luck with the sequel.
What a nice thing to say! This book was both easy and hard to review. It was easy because I loved the book so much. At the same time, there were many interesting clues and twists that I couldn't mention. When you enjoy a book, you want to tell everyone about the wonderful parts, but then it would be giving spoilers.

-- 19 Feb 2016, 13:03 --
Susan Lynn Solomon wrote:I'm so very glad so many people find The Magic of Murder intriguing. I can't wait to learn what everyone thinks after reading the book. Meantime, Emlyn, Rebecca, Roger, and, yes, Elvira arre at it again. I've just finished writing chapter 24 of the sequel. About 90% done now...I sure hope my characters tell me who did it and why soon. (hehehehe).
That's great news! I look forward to reading the sequel.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I understand exactly what you mean. Seems to be an art to reveal just a little but not enough to spoil...
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Susan Lynn Solomon

It is, anananemone. In a murder mystery, for me, at least, the biggest sin is in not leaving clues throughout the story. Yes, some will be red herrings, but others must eventually point to the killer. In writing The Magic of Murder--and again in the sequel, as the story developed I found I had to go back and insert clues in earlier sections so as be fair to the reader (and to myself--I'm one of those writers who tells myself the story as I go). And again, you're very right: each clue has to be small enough that it doesn't give the end away, while cumulatively at the end I want the reader to say, "Of course, the clues were there all along". I learned this from reading almost all of Agatha Christie's work, and Conan Doyles, and Rex Stout's, and PD James, and so many other masters of this art that came before.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Susan Lynn Solomon wrote:It is, anananemone. In a murder mystery, for me, at least, the biggest sin is in not leaving clues throughout the story. Yes, some will be red herrings, but others must eventually point to the killer. In writing The Magic of Murder--and again in the sequel, as the story developed I found I had to go back and insert clues in earlier sections so as be fair to the reader (and to myself--I'm one of those writers who tells myself the story as I go). And again, you're very right: each clue has to be small enough that it doesn't give the end away, while cumulatively at the end I want the reader to say, "Of course, the clues were there all along". I learned this from reading almost all of Agatha Christie's work, and Conan Doyles, and Rex Stout's, and PD James, and so many other masters of this art that came before.
Thanks for sharing your writing process. I agree that the reader should be able to look back and realize the little clues were there throughout the story.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I have read a lot of books about burning of Salem witches and I would love to read about a descendant of a Salem witch. Great review. Congratulations to Susan Lynn Solomon for such a well-written book.
Susan Lynn Solomon

Kimmyschemy, in The Magic of Murder, Emlyn Goode, Old Sarah's descendant, is told not everyone hanged for witchcraft in Salem was innocent. But the question remains, what was witchcraft really? Many women were herbalists, combining various plants for medicinal purposes. Not chemists, these simple people would have believed the combinations were actually magic. Entries from a fictional diary of Sarah Goode's explore this facet. If you have a chance to read The Magic of Murder, I'd love to know what you think.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Interesting historical info. The book and this discussion has made me want to read more about the Salem witch trials.
Susan Lynn Solomon

Bookowlie, I think one of the most fascinating factors surrounding the witch trials is the manner in which judicial actions intersected with those of the church. These were people whose ancestors had fled England after being persecuted because their beliefs differed from those of the established church. Yet, in Salem the church they established behaved in the same way. This is one of those many things that drove me to write The Magic of Murder. You'll have noticed that 320 later, Emlyn Goode fears social persecution if her practice is learned.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

People are rather predictable, sadly.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Susan Lynn Solomon

Yes, Gravy, unfortunately people are predictable. And the biggest pity is that we don't learn. Who was it that said if we don't remember our history we're doomed to repeat it?
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Susan Lynn Solomon wrote:Bookowlie, I think one of the most fascinating factors surrounding the witch trials is the manner in which judicial actions intersected with those of the church. These were people whose ancestors had fled England after being persecuted because their beliefs differed from those of the established church. Yet, in Salem the church they established behaved in the same way. This is one of those many things that drove me to write The Magic of Murder. You'll have noticed that 320 later, Emlyn Goode fears social persecution if her practice is learned.
What I always found interesting about the Salem witch trials is how gossip among a few townspeople turned into mass hysteria.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”