Review of Minutes to Midnight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Minutes to Midnight

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Minutes to Midnight" by James Glass.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Time is running out for Detective Rebecca Watson. Soon after being informed about a stolen car that crashed into a van carrying 55-gallon drums containing several mutilated bodies, she learns that she's being activated in the Navy Reserves. But before she can solve the case, her 30-day deployment with the USS Vella Gulf begins, and so does another investigation into a series of murders along Vella's route. With one trail growing cold and a second heating up, how will Rebecca find the clues she needs to solve both cases? And what sort of trouble will she find herself in along the way?

Follow Detective Watson as she rushes to solve both crimes before her enemies thwart her efforts in Minutes to Midnight by James Glass. I enjoyed the pacing in this well-developed pair of mysteries. Glass successfully created two separate cases for Rebecca to solve, and each one had a detailed list of characters and clues to sort out. I loved how this book lets the reader get to know Watson in her civilian life and her military life. Both aspects presented different challenges that allowed me to get a realistic view into Rebecca's struggles and triumphs with her relationships, whether with co-workers, love interests, or family.

I also enjoyed the military aspect of the book. The author used his 22 years of experience in the United States Navy to give the reader a glimpse into the structure and organization of the ship and military life. He also created authentic tension between the ranks of the crew members that helped add suspense to the case on the USS Vella Gulf.

One thing I didn't like about the book was how rushed the ending felt. Because Rebecca was involved in solving two complete cases, there needed to be more time left for wrapping up the conclusions. There were no loose ends, but the book's finale left me feeling a bit hollow. Little room was left for personal connections and closure with the victims' families. There was also a more intimate relationship that Rebecca dealt with that only got a little time to develop throughout the book because she was preoccupied with her duties.

There were also more than ten typos. While these errors didn't detract much from the reading experience, they still required a reduction in the rating. Therefore, I give Minutes to Midnight four out of five stars.

I'd recommend this book to readers who enjoy gritty, slow-burn mysteries. The description of the damage done to the bodies was disturbing, but the details were disclosed in a brief forensic report. Since the crimes involved solicitation/prostitutes, there were some discussions of sexual acts performed by the victims, but no characters engaged in activities themselves. Instances of non-borderline language were present throughout the book as well.

Minutes to Midnight
View: on Bookshelves
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

You said something about the ending being rushed, but I think that is to be expected when you consider the title; Minutes to Midnight. It seems like detective Watson had little time solving both cases, and maybe the rushed ending only amplifies the short time she has to solve the murders. Great review, by the way!
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

Seems like Rebecca has a lot on her hands. I hope she succeeds before enemies foil her plans.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I wish to read about Rebecca and her investigations. Thanks for your lovely review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing mystery that also involves a ship and its crew, depicted in a realistic way thanks to the author's personal experience. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”