Review of Europia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of Europia

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Europia" by Anthony Etherington.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Marta was part of the project team that fixed up the building that housed the offices of the Regional Commission (Eastern Region) of the Union of European States (UES). She works for VisionPlace, a company that buys and refurbishes buildings. Marta had a humble beginning, as she grew up in a rural village before moving up to Caradea. She got an assignment from her boss, David, to carry out a repair assessment and maintenance at Petreni, so she set out to get the task done. It was a Roman house constructed between 1924 and 1925. When she got there to assess the area that required repair in the building, she noticed something about the damaged area that didn't seem quite right.

Work aside, and talking about her personal life, she noticed that she was growing apart from her lover Arpad. It is not clear to her when they started growing apart, but it was happening. Even though she knew very little about what Arpad did for a living, she was determined to give it her all one more time to see if things would improve between them. However, this attempt led her to find out more about who Arpad really is and the sort of work he is into. How does Marta react to these new findings? What did she find out about Arpad? While Marta was still trying to process the latest developments with Arpad, the Union building, the project that Marta and her team were just finishing, was bombed. This takes Marta's mind off her boyfriend for a while. But then, is this bombing related to what Marta found out about Arpad? The only way to find out is by reading this book! Get it for yourself.

Europia by Anthony Etherington has some positive aspects that I took note of, which contributed to my enjoyment of it. First, I love how unpredictable this story is. You would think you are following a straightforward plot, but don't be in a hurry to conclude because the author will soon introduce a parallel plot that will keep your mind racing. Second, the characters in this book are well-developed. The character of Arpad remained a mystery to me for a long time. Even the minor characters, like the concierge, Gyula Bokros, were well-developed. I thought of many people who could turn out to be the antagonists of this story, but it wasn't easy to predict. This is the kind of book I love to read: a story that will put my mind to work and keep me fixated on the book till I finish reading it. Also, it was amazing how Marta switched to emergency mode when Steffi mentioned one of the people who killed Paolo. She is a fast thinker and can connect dots.

There was nothing I didn't like about this book. Its flow and pace are exquisite. Anthony Etherington is such a talented writer and knows how to keep readers on their toes. The book has themes of terrorism, religion, love, building, etc. This book was also exceptionally well edited, as I didn't encounter any errors while reading it.

If you are a lover of thrillers, then Europia by Anthony Etherington is made for you. I would also recommend it to those who love crime books. Since I disliked nothing about the book, I am gladly giving it a strong 5 out of 5 stars.

Europia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

This book talks about the story of how Marta was given a repair assignment at Petreni but noticed something about the building after getting there that didn't seem quite right. The story also talks about how Marta noticed she was growing apart from her loved one, Arpad, and decided to know more about what Arpad did for a living. The story was unpredictable and the characters were well-developed. Thanks for the great review.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I want to find out everything about Marta's boyfriend. This book looks like one that will hold my interest. I love how detailed this review is and it made me curious. I look forward to getting a chance to read this book!
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Your review of the book was a delight to read, and I also love that the book is quite unpredictable. Your enthusiasm for the book was contagious, and your ability to identify the key elements that made the book worth reading was impressive. I particularly enjoyed your discussion of the book's structure and pacing, and how it contributed to the overall story.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I really enjoyed reading your review of the book. Your thoughts on the book's themes, characters, and overall plot were so well-expressed and thought-provoking. I love how you described the character of Arpad. I wonder what she found out about him. I can't wait to get the opportunity to read the book myself. I have no doubt that it will be just as enjoyable and engaging as you described. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and providing such an insightful review.
Last edited by Amandaruth Ama on 10 Dec 2022, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Stories with unpredictable plot is what I always look forward to when I take interest in a book. This would make my interest not to dwindle till I finish the book because I will be curious to know what would happen next.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I wonder what Marta's boyfriend does for a living. I hope it doesn't get Marta in any kind of trouble. I love the way this review made me curious to know more about the characters of this book. I appreciate it and I look forward to when I can get the opportunity to read the book.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

As this story is unpredictable, it shows that the plot is well developed. I'm really curious to find out more about Mim's story. I want to know how her parents took care of her and if they were able to put the situation under control.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

I love crime books, hence this recommendations is for me. I wonder what Marta noticed about the building she went to repair. What an interesting storyline! I'm so curious to find out more of this story. Your review is detailed. Great review!
Mara Joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara-joe.html
Latest Review: Bonnie’s Adventures in a Storybook World by Kristie Schubert

Post by Mara Joe »

I can see that the main character works in a company that deals with buildings. I would like to find out more about her workplace. Great review! I really appreciate the way you summarized the key points of the book. Your analysis really helped me understand what the book is about and whether or not I would be interested in reading it.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I really appreciate your thorough analysis of the book. You described Marta's personally and business life well. It's clear that you really thought about the themes and ideas presented. You also mentioned the things you loved about the book. I am now even more excited to read it for myself. Kuddos!
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

I am really curious to find out about the mysterious Arpad and his relationship with Marta. How close and in love they were before she started noticing the drift in their relationship. From your review, I can tell he was a bad guy so I want to know if he was good to her or if it was a toxic relationship.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This book sure does have an amazing cliffhanger. But is funny how people jump into a relationship or a love affair with know who truly their partner is. Am also interested in knowing Marta's reaction as she finds out more about her lover.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Strangely, I do not fell interested to this book. It contained many historical themes which I'm not a fan of. But since it features crime and thriller, I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for your review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

Marta sounds like an interesting character. What was unusual about the building they were meant to repair? What's the story of her personal life? Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”