Review of Homecoming Heist

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Homecoming Heist

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homecoming Heist" by Tyson Collin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Money is one scarce resource that no one can get enough of, even the wealthiest. Sometimes, when we encounter harsh financial periods, the expression "desperate times call for desperate measures" may come into play. What happens when your friend lures you into a risky scheme that'll generate quick cash?

Let's delve into Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin. Doug has served time in prison before over criminal doings. He runs a garage with his nephew, Steve, which only generates a minimum wage. Doug's old friend, Phil, chairs AA meetings, and his living conditions are below par. Steve works temporary jobs for Mr. Bo, who runs a construction company. Nonetheless, his contracts are running low, and he is on the verge of ceasing operations.

However, there might be a means to help everyone. Doug comes up with an idea to rob banks and pocket the cash accumulated. He recruits Phil, Steve, and Bo. After three bank robberies send the residents of the small town to panic, Officer Andy gets heated up! Meanwhile, when Major Case Crimes gets notified, they send a rookie cop named Jay to assist in unraveling the mystery. Determined to prove his worth, Jay works his brain to catch the culprits. Will he?

I loved everything about the book: choice of words, sticking to the plot, enthralling storyline, etc. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't wait to know who would outsmart the other. In addition, I enjoyed the delicate theme of alcoholism during the AA meetings. The author explained the characters so well I could nearly tell their next move. Young adults will relate to Steve's character.

Financial illiteracy is a common drawback in life. For instance, buying a fancy watch or sports car with illegal money may attract the attention of unwanted parties like police officers. I loved Jay's personality. He was witty and a critical thinker, despite his lack of experience.

I identified two grammatical flaws. Therefore, the book is well edited. Life can be unfair sometimes. Moreover, we learn that having friends in powerful societal dockets comes in handy. Bo was a renowned businessman and an old friend to the chief of police. Who would suspect such a rich man could be involved in a bank robbery? I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and 5 out of 5 stars. There was absolutely nothing to dislike. I recommend Homecoming Heist to enthusiasts of crime novels.

Homecoming Heist
View: on Bookshelves
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Wow! Your review was so interesting that I instantly want to read this book. I don't know how I would feel to find myself in such situation. Great job?
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Nice review, it has pushed me to read this book. It sounds like a good read. Thanks for the honest review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Robbing banks is never a good idea, but it does make for a good story. It’s hard to imagine what Doug was going through at the time. I also ca’t imagine dragging your friends into such a plan.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Although robbing a bank is never a smart idea, it does make for an interesting tale. It's difficult to imagine Doug's situation at the time. I also find it hard to conceive involving your pals in such a scheme. Your review piqued my curiosity in the book to the point where I now want to read it. I have no idea how I would react if I were in that circumstance. Well done!
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I'm interested in what occurred in the end—who outsmarted the other—because Jay comes across as intelligent and savvy. I suppose reading it will be the only way I can find out. I agree with you that financial instability is an everyday drawback.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I wonder if Jay succeeds in catching the perpetrators of the crime. Great review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller following a group pursuing the not so brilliant idea to solve their financial problems robbing banks. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I love your review and will like to know the disadvantage of getting rich quick. Thank you.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

The introduction sets a stage for a compelling review. It is lovable.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:

Post by Francis Kapola »

Amy Luman wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 11:33 Robbing banks is never a good idea, but it does make for a good story. It’s hard to imagine what Doug was going through at the time. I also ca’t imagine dragging your friends into such a plan.
Indeed, robbing banks is an illegal and dangerous activity with severe consequences. The idea of dragging friends into such a plan adds another layer of complexity, as it raises questions about loyalty, trust, and the ethical boundaries of friendship.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:

Post by Francis Kapola »

R_becca wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 16:04 I'm interested in what occurred in the end—who outsmarted the other—because Jay comes across as intelligent and savvy. I suppose reading it will be the only way I can find out. I agree with you that financial instability is an everyday drawback.
Financial instability is indeed a common challenge that many people face, and it can push individuals to consider drastic measures.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:

Post by Francis Kapola »

NetMassimo wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 15:49 This seems like an engaging crime thriller following a group pursuing the not so brilliant idea to solve their financial problems robbing banks. Thank you for your great review!
It's always interesting to see how these characters navigate the dangerous world they've entered and whether they succeed or face the consequences of their actions.
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Roy Nick wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 21:12 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homecoming Heist" by Tyson Collin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Money is one scarce resource that no one can get enough of, even the wealthiest. Sometimes, when we encounter harsh financial periods, the expression "desperate times call for desperate measures" may come into play. What happens when your friend lures you into a risky scheme that'll generate quick cash?

Let's delve into Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin. Doug has served time in prison before over criminal doings. He runs a garage with his nephew, Steve, which only generates a minimum wage. Doug's old friend, Phil, chairs AA meetings, and his living conditions are below par. Steve works temporary jobs for Mr. Bo, who runs a construction company. Nonetheless, his contracts are running low, and he is on the verge of ceasing operations.

However, there might be a means to help everyone. Doug comes up with an idea to rob banks and pocket the cash accumulated. He recruits Phil, Steve, and Bo. After three bank robberies send the residents of the small town to panic, Officer Andy gets heated up! Meanwhile, when Major Case Crimes gets notified, they send a rookie cop named Jay to assist in unraveling the mystery. Determined to prove his worth, Jay works his brain to catch the culprits. Will he?

I loved everything about the book: choice of words, sticking to the plot, enthralling storyline, etc. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't wait to know who would outsmart the other. In addition, I enjoyed the delicate theme of alcoholism during the AA meetings. The author explained the characters so well I could nearly tell their next move. Young adults will relate to Steve's character.

Financial illiteracy is a common drawback in life. For instance, buying a fancy watch or sports car with illegal money may attract the attention of unwanted parties like police officers. I loved Jay's personality. He was witty and a critical thinker, despite his lack of experience.

I identified two grammatical flaws. Therefore, the book is well edited. Life can be unfair sometimes. Moreover, we learn that having friends in powerful societal dockets comes in handy. Bo was a renowned businessman and an old friend to the chief of police. Who would suspect such a rich man could be involved in a bank robbery? I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and 5 out of 5 stars. There was absolutely nothing to dislike. I recommend Homecoming Heist to enthusiasts of crime novels.

Homecoming Heist
View: on Bookshelves
Thank you for sharing your detailed and enthusiastic review of "Homecoming Heist" by Tyson Collin. Your review offers a comprehensive overview of the book's plot, characters, and themes, allowing potential readers to gain a better understanding of what to expect.

Your description of the plot, which revolves around a risky bank-robbing scheme initiated by Doug, is intriguing and highlights the desperate circumstances that lead individuals to such actions. The introduction of Officer Andy and rookie cop Jay adds an element of suspense and intrigue to the story.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”