Review of Whitewash

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Whitewash

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whitewash" by Robert Landori.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whitewash by Robert Landori is expertly woven around a man named Tom Karas. He had grown up when there was heavy division due to political and cultural differences. His family was sent out of their home because they were Jews, leading to his separation from his mother for a while. By the time she was back, ten-year-old Tom had already made a decision out of reproach and feelings of betrayal, and the decision was to love and trust no one. Tom grew and started working as an asset for the NSA. He lacked empathy, but that was something that helped him with work till he was involved in a helicopter crash. The crash left his face badly disfigured, so plastic surgery was the best option. He was transformed into Alejandro Samos.

Alejandro Samos became a finance guru. He had a new face after a lot of excruciating plastic surgeries. Tom Karas was issued a death certificate as Tom, but he lived as Samos. His second life seemed pretty different from the first, with fewer complications, and this continued till he met Maria-Isabel Echenique, who was the wife of the Mexican minister of finance. Read to find out more about Alejandro's new life.

I loved the storytelling style of the author. He narrated the events in a way that one could see through the eyes of the characters. I liked how he built up the characters and developed them as the story progressed, especially the character of Tom Karas or Alejandro Samos. The plot twists were great; they heightened the reader's suspense to discover the next line of action. There are valuable life lessons one could pick from this book as well, ranging from trust to the actual definition of love and friendship. I also loved the division of the book into three parts; it was very much needed for clarity purposes. The author's choice of words was great; it helped with an easy understanding of the story. There was no use of unnecessarily complex words, and I found that impressive. Every character had a role to play, and that added to the beauty of the story. I really enjoyed reading this exciting piece.

Although this was a great read, and I would recommend it to a large demographic of readers, it had a few negative points. Some of the conversations between the characters were unnecessarily long, which could bore some readers; however, that didn't discourage me from exploring the story even more. Nonetheless, I believed it would have been best if the conversations were limited to just essential points and made extensive only when necessary. Also, some of the chapters could have been merged into one because dividing them was needless.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It very much deserved every star, as I believe the issues I pointed out in the previous paragraph weren't enough to warrant the removal of a star. I considered them peripheral at best. Also, the book was exceptionally well edited; I found no errors in it.

This book is recommended to anyone interested in mystery stories and stories that speak on political issues. The author expertly combined both themes to create this masterpiece.

Whitewash
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I love political topics a lot and if this book has an element of politics in it, then I’m checking it out. Great review.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

I don't appreciate books where the characters have long conversations but there are other things to love about the book so I may check it out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This mystery with political ramifications has some intriguing elements that makes it engaging to me despite the overlong dialogues you mentioned. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”