Review of The Law of Unintended Consequences

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of The Law of Unintended Consequences

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Law of Unintended Consequences" by Mike D Peek.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mike Murray and Kadir Bakerman are two best buddies and former NBA players. Their career has paid off, given their lavish way of life: Rolex watches, expensive cars, fancy houses, and diamond rings. Things fall off a cliff when Kadir’s wife, Shorena, is murdered in her apartment. Upon digesting the excruciating news, Kadir is distraught. Fortunately, Mike is there every step of the way.

One of the lead detectives, Snyder, was secretly in love with Shorena. In a twist of events, Kadir was once physical with his dead wife, and Snyder had responded to the situation. Since then, the detective loathed Bakerman so much that he wanted to throw him in prison when he learned of Shorena’s death. Meanwhile, evidence points to Kadir as the killer. Therefore, he gets arrested. As we follow through, information points out that Mike Murray has always been in love with his best friend. Was Shorena’s death an accident? Since she was an infidel, was it murder of passion? Better still, who killed her?

I enjoyed reading about fancy lifestyles. The celebrities drove Aston Martins, Mercedes Benzes, Bentleys, and other expensive cars. Moreover, the descriptions of the high-end houses had me questioning my career. I loved how the killer camouflaged and acted like the good guy. It was strikingly thrilling!

The Law of Unintended Consequences is full of surprises, suspense, and controversies. One minute, the person I believed was reputable turned to be otherwise. Plus, a cop who should be saving the day from culprits is the classic definition of racism. The author took the book a notch up with the involvement of courtrooms. The law jargon was fun to follow and suspenseful enough to want to uncover Shorena’s murderer. I liked that.

Detective Snyder had a grudge towards Kadir that was notable. He had this never-to-be affection towards Shorena. Following her murder, he gathered any evidence incriminating Kadir to her death to arrest him. Then we had one person who believed every black person was evil. In addition, some rogue police officers end up doing more harm, and in the process, innocent people get hurt.

I disliked the multiple grammatical errors I encountered. Therefore, the book needs professional editing. Otherwise, the story was jaw-dropping! I award it 3 out of 4 stars because of the flaws. I recommend The Law of Unintended Consequences by Mike D Peek to enthusiasts of character-driven, crime, and investigative novels.

The Law of Unintended Consequences
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This sounds like the kind of story that I would be interested in. I’m sorry about the errors you encountered Nile reading, but I think I can disregard them. I would like to know how things finally work out for everyone, especially Matt.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I absolutely adore a good 'whodunnit'. This book sounds so intriguing, Great review!
Allan kariuki 1
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Allan kariuki 1 »

I really dream that one day I will play basketball as a career.The book from the review sounds like what I need . Thank you for the review.
Onesmus Odari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onesmus-odari.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Onesmus Odari »

I enjoyed reading your review. It provides a good summary of the book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”